Author Topic: bag latches  (Read 1586 times)

Offline buzz

bag latches
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
I accquired a new (used) RT bag for my 00 connie. The latch securing it to the antler has a busted mount rivet. I wouldn't put much faith in it staying firmly in place while riding.
I tried a forum search for info but didn't find anything that gave insight about latch remounting options.
Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, Buzz

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: bag latches
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »
If you aren't too conceerned about staying stock, you can ignore the OEM latch and install a bolt to hold the bag onto the antler.  Look at the antler and you'll see there's a big triangle in the bottom of the front leg, which lines up with the metal doubler just behind the latch.  I drilled mine through there and installed some 3/16 full-thread bolts, with nuts to hold them to the antler, and a matching hole in the bag, and the bag slips over the bolt end, which is drilled to accept a small cowling pin or cotter pin.  This makes sure the bag can't come off, and adds a little bit of anti-theft,.as the pin is not accessible once tha bag is closed.  And, no, it has never leaked water in.  I can take some pics if anyone wants to see it.

Unfortunately it also just about guarantees massive damage if you ever "hook" a bag on something solid, since the bolt won't shear off as easily as the OEM latch, I think. 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Sailor Joe

Re: bag latches
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:08:32 PM »
I had the same issue...  Drilled out the remaining rivets and replaced all with small recessed screws (some minor countersinking in the latch was necessary for clearance) with locknuts on the inside of the bag. Works well, and stronger than stock.