Author Topic: Input/opions on this please ....  (Read 4644 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Input/opions on this please ....
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »
  I went to a local dealership here in Wilson NC, http://www.cyclemax.biz/, to have my brake recall work done. Randy the service manager informed me that they would need to order the parts, but they had 2 kits in for the floor models that I could get and they will order another kit for there bike, I thought that was cool.  Any how it was my first time at this dealership, and Randy was a very nice (realistic person). I asked him about how much do they charge for a valve adjustment job, he looked in the book for the flat rate and informed me about 320.00, to do the check and that they have all the shims always in stock so the down time at my end will be at a min. FYI,  the labor charge he at this part of the US is 65.00 an hour.
  We had a discussion abut the motorcyle industry, service and stealerships, and my reluctant (lack of trust) of service done on my bike. He totally understood were I was coming from, and said there are alot of bad places out there that have the wrong mind set of doing the right thing when dealing with customers.  He said that Cyclemax  needs to have a strong customer base due to there location (out of city limits).  There off the beaten path so they need to come up of way to make sure that customers come back. One of the thing I did notice is that the maintance bays in the shop, were spottless. They were working on 4 bikes including mine.
  He ran a pretty tightship.
  Okay now tell me what you all think of this.  In the sevice area there was a sign that said " Ask about our elite sevice offer". So I did. It is a offer that they have.... for 1200.00, they will do ALL schedule maintence on my bike for 3 years nothing out of my pocket, period. also life time unlimited free oil/filter changes. nothing out of pocket. Which means, if I wanted to meet up with VirginaJim today I could go in and get a free oil/filter change. and then if I wanted to see T Cro the next week I could get another oil change/filter free. Also I get priority service. If I need a tire change I can come in unsheduled and jump infront of eveyone to get my tire change. All this is designed to keep cujstomers. I know that the oil will be dino oil and the filter will be Kawasaki filters. It is also transferable if I sell my bike. And this is only for this dealership.  There tires are 50% off msrp (all brands everyday, which isnt to much off of online prices.
  I know that up front that might seem like alot but over 3 years and the amount of riding I'm going to do, what do you all think of it?  I don't mind doing my own work on my '06. But my 09 I might leave it to them. Opions please. I ride about 25,000-28,000 per yr on my 06. So if I split the differance I'll will be looking at half that.  Also IF I sell my 06, then I'll be putting some serious miles on the 09.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Input/opions on this please ....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
If you ride 28,000 per yr and you plan to bring it into the dealer at the scheduled intervals in the US owners manual, including valves every 15k, plugs and oil every 7.5k then it is a no brainer. I did my valves for the first time at 28,600 and they were all in spec and also put in new plugs but the old plugs were absolutely fine. So obviously I don't follow the manual schedule and I live about 1/2 hour from the nearest dealer. I also wouldn't want to have to take the bike there that often so for me I wouldn't do it. But it all depends on how much you do yourself and how often.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
If you ride 28,000 per yr and you plan to bring it into the dealer at the scheduled intervals in the US owners manual, including valves every 15k, plugs and oil every 7.5k then it is a no brainer. I did my valves for the first time at 28,600 and they were all in spec and also put in new plugs but the old plugs were absolutely fine. So obviously I don't follow the manual schedule and I live about 1/2 hour from the nearest dealer. I also wouldn't want to have to take the bike there that often so for me I wouldn't do it. But it all depends on how much you do yourself and how often.

Thanks for your input Rhino.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
If you're a high mileage guy, and never plan on moving... great!  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline wendel

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
If you do not plan on moving and with 15,000 miles a year you will need two oil changes, two spark plug changes and a valve adjust every year, so if you are confident in them and do not plan on doing the services yourself, then just for those services it would be worth it. Now for the putting you first concept. Suppose I arrive at the same time and am checked in just before you, I also have a service plan, and all the techs are busy. Or suppose there are several people in with the service plan, and one tech is on vacation, and one is sick. How will they beable to jump you to the front of the line? Rest of the plan sounds reasonable to me.
2012 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
I went to a local dealership here in Wilson NC,

There, Their, They're!!!!!!  http://www.theretheyretheir.com/

Ok, now that I got that out of my system :)    $1,200 doesn't seem totally outrageous, but it isn't exactly cheap either.  I personally would not do it for various reasons:

1) I use synthetic oil, I doubt that is included.
2) With payment up front, there is less incentive to do the work quickly.
3) With payment up front, there is also less incentive for good customer service.
4) I don't think it is necessary to check/adjust valves or check/replace spark plugs anywhere near the recommended intervals.
5) It would not cover the things I would need the most- tires and brakes.
6) Most coverage plans like that are always weighted heavily against you, statistically speaking.

If you plan to stay in the area, trust the dealer, want the unnecessarily close service intervals (IMHO), and feel like you will NOT be able to just pay for it later, then you might want to consider it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
I wouldn't do it, matter of fact I wouldn't even consider it.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline con05

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Why not run the numbers and see how it works out? If you want syn oil ask if you can pay the extra cost. Are oil changes based on Kaws 7500 miles schedule?  Tires at 50% off msrp is better than catalog depending on the mounting charge.   Also is it assumed you pay for parts at full cost? This could be a bargain. I worked for a shop that had such a plan and many made it work to their advantage.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »
Sounds GREAT to me, if they do quality work and you seem to be leaning that direction. I would wait a few months, until they do a couple of oil changes, and other maintenance, and observe a little more of how they treat your bike and give you service. If they keep up the knight in shining armor act, I'd go for it.
2008 C-14

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
If they close the door in 2 months your hosed.  Pass, no guarantee they will be there.  Then again I do my own valves.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »
These days, closing the door, is more common.  Mine closed up and just because they were there for the last 50 years don't mean nothing now.  I think, in weighing all the options, I'm leaning towards not paying up front.  Too many things could happen.  If it was a 'brand' service agreement and honored by any Kwak dealer then I may lean the other way but it's not.  Your choice, of course, but I'm thinking it isn't a wise.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
given my mileage (about 10k a year) I would gladly pay a flat rate, say, 50$ a month, to get that level of service. That's 1800$ in 3 years, but a) it would keep them on their toes to keep providing a good service and b) I paid almost twice that in 33 months ownership/driving.
And I would actually like a yearly renewable contract.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
If you are high mile rider it is worth it. You can probably call up and make an appt. to have the work done just in case another person with the same package comes in the same time you do, which is probably not going to happen anyway. A friend of mine bought an agreement like that on his 05 Gold Wing when he bought it new back in 05. The shop closed about 2 years later so he lost on that deal. And even now with the bike being 7 years old he only has 20,000 miles on it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline fsr402

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »
When I bought my used '08 the dealer had something like this. They call it the VIP service. I cost me $1344 for 3 years. With this service I get all scheduled services done, unlimited oil changes, 15% off parts and accessories, guaranteed 72 hours and the bike is being worked on (their service dept is about 4 weeks out right now) and if I'm less then 30 miles they will pick up and drop off the bike for any service. Which I am about 20 miles away. It sounded like a good deal to me. This is the largest dealer in west Michigan and I personally have been going there since the mid 80's.
Well I just got my bike back tonight from having the 15K service done and the recall.
The paperwork shows the totals of parts and labor. If it were not for this contract I would have been kicking out $904.70. :o
One more of those and it's more then paid for its self.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »
When I bought my used '08 the dealer had something like this. They call it the VIP service. I cost me $1344 for 3 years. With this service I get all scheduled services done, unlimited oil changes, 15% off parts and accessories, guaranteed 72 hours and the bike is being worked on (their service dept is about 4 weeks out right now) and if I'm less then 30 miles they will pick up and drop off the bike for any service. Which I am about 20 miles away. It sounded like a good deal to me. This is the largest dealer in west Michigan and I personally have been going there since the mid 80's.
Well I just got my bike back tonight from having the 15K service done and the recall.
The paperwork shows the totals of parts and labor. If it were not for this contract I would have been kicking out $904.70. :o
One more of those and it's more then paid for its self.

Could've "easily" extended that service interval......mine is now at 15,500 and I am not even "considering" getting the valves checked until 22k.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »
My over rated .02, I had my valves checked at 15, needed some adjustments 9yes, I saw the chart with measurements and even the internals, it was done).  Second check was done, no change.  that was 24000 miles ago, I decided to double the valve check, so I am due in another 6000.

To the OP, not sure there is any real value here.  If they close, you're out.  Another what if, you have some kinda issue that leaves you're off the bike for several months (my case was back surgery).  Oil changes?  I too use full syn since mile 50.  Oil changes on this ride are simple and not worth others doing.  You'd be money ahead to bring the service manager his favorite adult beverage on a day you don't need anything, just a grip, grin, and bottle/case.  Talk bikes, and leave.  You will be many $$$ ahead.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »

Could've "easily" extended that service interval......mine is now at 15,500 and I am not even "considering" getting the valves checked until 22k.

I was at a little over 15,500 and my valves needed shims.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
RUN from that stealership offer!

They want to get rich off of you. If you ride low miles, move, sell/trade, or they close you are screwed.

One of the 4, odds say you'll be "Puttin' them on the Ritz"

Taco - Puttin' on the Ritz (Original Uncensored Version)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:46:57 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine