Author Topic: Women of Concours  (Read 21070 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Women of Concours
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:32:13 AM »
Just messing with you, Jim. Change it back if you want. I didn't start the thread, just the sheet storm. ;D
The funny thing is, my ZX14R has that same eco warning that you're riding like a girl, and has no secondary map to save fuel. What's the point? ::)

Oh, you wanted to see a pic?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:59:14 AM by VirginiaJim »
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Charlie747

Re: Women of Concours
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
Just love that colour and those pipes  :chugbeer:

sailor_chic

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
I'm confused what the saying "ride like a girl" means?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
Yeah, what she said... :) considering she rides a V-Max as well... :popcorn: :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »

Offline sche202460

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Learned something with this post trust the pros in this case, they are right. Used up gas in bike and filled filled up few miles and it went off.
some folks can justify need for fast bike the minute they open their mouth!

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

Old school from the old boys club!

Doesn't carry as much weight as it use to, considering the women that race sport bikes today.

sailor_chic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Yeah, what she said... :) considering she rides a V-Max as well... :popcorn: :popcorn:

And I have snapped a couple of drive shafts on my Vmax leaving stop lights too hard. Time to grow up and slow down I guess.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
In some circles that is referred to as the "Barbie light"
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Jim H

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
And I have snapped a couple of drive shafts on my Vmax leaving stop lights too hard. Time to grow up and slow down I guess.

I did that once about 4 blocks from my old house.....a couple of blocks uphill pushing it....thought I was going to die!  LOL
Ever since then I knew the secret to putting them back in.....funny how most don't.   Keep young!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »

LOL!  I was just waiting to see what you would say to his post.  :)  I think in this context, it could be a compliment if we try hard... maybe riding so well that the bike gets all lit up!  Or ECO because of having a lot of sense cents.

(You might be the only woman on the forum?)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
I did that once about 4 blocks from my old house.....a couple of blocks uphill pushing it....thought I was going to die!  LOL
Ever since then I knew the secret to putting them back in.....funny how most don't.   Keep young!

It's quite humbling coasting to a stop on the side of the road. I think I felt worse about the rapid RED line when they snap.
I think the hard part was removing the remaining shaft still connected inside the swingarm.

LOL!  I was just waiting to see what you would say to his post.  :)  I think in this context, it could be a compliment if we try hard... maybe riding so well that the bike gets all lit up!  Or ECO because of having a lot of sense cents.

(You might be the only woman on the forum?)

Compliment....really reaching,  but okay :) 

I'm unsure if I am the only woman on this forum. I know that there are a couple on the other site.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
According to the forum stats it takes a lot of men to equal one good women....Male to Female Ratio:   77.5:1  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
This does beg the question, what is riding like a girl?  What is the definition of that?  I certainly don't think that riding in 'eco' mode denotes riding like a girl and as I'm writing this I'm not sure that I even understand that that phrase.  I can ride sedately or I can ride spirited with this bike and I do both depending on the situation.  You know, the more I think about that phrase the less I like it for either gender.  And I'd rather be a live girly man, than a dead he man if it means I don't ride around a blind curve at 80+mph without regard for myself or others.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
Maybe this is what was meant:
http://youtu.be/BYXam1edBFU
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
Just an attempt at humor. Sorry Chic, you weren't supposed to see that. :-[

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
While I have never ridden with S_c, nor have I seen her ride, from her postings I would venture to say that she is more competent than the average rider. Male or female.  Just a hunch...

Over the years I have ridden with a bunch of different folks, young, old, male, female, whatever. It has been my experience that the majority of the females seem to be more "wooden" and cautious to the point of being dangerous. I can't say if it was lack of experience or lack of situational comfort or what, but it was there. I've seen it in some males too, just far fewer times. I have also ridden with women that were skilled to the point "OMG! That girl can RIDE!" I wishI ccould spend more riders like that, male or female. They make me a better rider.

I have no clue what the balance of nature vs nurture is in one's inclination and or ability when it comes to motorcycles but I'm sure there is a bit of both. For whatever reason, there is disproportionately lower number of females actively involved in motorsports and that sucks.

Motorsports and equestrian events are, as far as I can tell, the only sports venues where men and women can compete on a level playing field. Why more women aren't driving and or riding at a professional level is a question I can't answer. If I had a daughter and she had the desire and aptitude to ride a motorcycle, I would do whatever I could to encourage her and facilitate her toward her goals.

For right or for wrong, we all know what was meant by "ride like a girl." Face it, more often than not, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. Think Harley rider and what image pops in to your head?  And mor often than not, you'd be right. Think yacht owner. Yep, probably right again. It just is what it is....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

sailor_chic

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
Jimmy, thank you, but no apologies necessary. I work in an very ego driven, male dominated environment, so I see and hear it all. 
I have to agree with deziner on his well written post. Stereotypes are what they are and unfortunately the women always seem to get the bad wrap.
I'm pleased with deziner and his speculation of my riding skills and would like to say that I feel that I am a very competent and experienced rider. My dad had me on a mini-bike when I was 9 and I have seemed to be on a bike most of my life. Of course there were periods of time when family and kids didn't allow me to do so. But now I'm divorced and kids are grown and moved away. So gentlemen, keep an eye in your mirror's for that pink and black flash that will go by.  ;D

sailor_chic

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:09 PM »
This brings up other thoughts regarding gender,  or rather the parts of our anatomy that separate us. Let me see if I can express this correctly...
So when someone does something crazy, they seemed to be referred to as having big balls, correct?  But if someone was to do something weak or not up to par, then they are referred to as being a p*ssy. So how come it is then, that a p*ssy can take a good pounding, but a meer flick of a finger on the balls will bring him right down and out of order. 
Just sayin!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
This brings up other thoughts regarding gender,  or rather the parts of our anatomy that separate us. Let me see if I can express this correctly...
So when someone does something crazy, they seemed to be referred to as having big balls, correct?  But if someone was to do something weak or not up to par, then they are referred to as being a p*ssy. So how come it is then, that a p*ssy can take a good pounding, but a meer flick of a finger on the balls will bring him right down and out of order. 
Just sayin!
lol! Good stuff!