Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 455173 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48:46 AM »
Several years ago I ordered a set of four aluminum rims from a Toyota dealer in Texas.
They were the Ivan Stewart special edition Tundra rims, and this dealer had a strong presence as an online retailer.
Anyway, the rims were well packaged, but they had obviously been 'touched' up...somebody had tried to repair nicks or marks in the clear coat with what looked like Scotchbrite marks, and or heavy polishing compound marks.

I tried complaining but it was a waste of time. They would do nothing for me and claimed that any 'marks' I was seeing must have happened in customs.

Yes, of course...because a customs agent (USA or Canada) would open up four boxes, and just randomly start polishing imperfections in the finish, right? Ugh.

Maybe my wheel was damaged before shipment and the dumbass who prepped it for shipping decided that the wheel didn't need to be boxed up since it was already buggered eh?

I took the wheel and tire in yesterday to have the tire mounted and balanced. The tire tech ground and 'polished' the gouge out of the wheel and said it would be fine. The seller has agreed to give me a discount. I'm asking for 25%, we'll see.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:34:41 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »

Oh, that's nothing unusual.
Several years ago when I was putting the '01 TDI Jetta together (bought as salvage title, engine was toast) I bought the first engine from a "specialty" supplier of engines and transmissions from Tx. It came strapped to a pallet with old seatbelt belting. Nothing to support it underneath, so the oil pan was unrecognizable and crank full of dirt, one engine mount broken off and the intake manifold broken off. The second one came from somewhere on the eastcoast. About the same deal, except it had a tire under the broken oilpan. A shipment of loose tires (large/heavy ones) in the back of the semi trailer had fallen on it. Valvecover and manifolds also broken.
The third one from the first vendor got to me useable.
It was an interesting series of freight claims and disputed charges to the credit card company.

A couple years ago my son bought a parts snowmobile from a guy in MI. When the truck brought it several days late the driver asked if he would sign for it before he opened the trailer. Since it was so late they had called the shipping company to see where it was. It had been "delayed" due to a snowstorm in MPLS/St Paul and they had to send a different trailer to "transfer" some of the loads. Yep, the trailer had been "delayed" by the snowstorm alright. It had been upside down. With a load of soda vending machines on board. The snowmobile was about a foot high after being under a couple of those.
I deal with freight shipments received at work a couple days a week and often unload them either with our little forklift or depending on the type load, sometimes by hand. It is always "interesting" to see how some of this stuff is loaded and "secured", depending on the carrier and/or driver. 
Many a professional idiot.

:yikes:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2015, 05:20:51 AM »
I deal with freight shipments received at work a couple days a week and often unload them either with our little forklift or depending on the type load, sometimes by hand. It is always "interesting" to see how some of this stuff is loaded and "secured", depending on the carrier and/or driver. 
Many a professional idiot.

Back in 2007, I drove from Denver back to the east coast, and I did almost all of I-80 in a snow storm that was also moving east...roads were very slippery...ice covered, black ice, you name it...it was pretty nasty. Having been born and raised in Canada, I was pretty used to it. Across Nebraska and Iowa, I counted well over 100 semi trucks off the roads...it was surreal to see...there were groups of them...2, 3, 4, 5...whatever, laying on their sides, in ditches, upside down...wrecked, smashed etc. I couldn't imagine how much freight was at the very least delayed, and at the very worst, ruined.

I recognize your screen name from TDIclub. I only visit the Mk4 page, but I do see you on there as well. (Trying to get my ALH all finished up between today and tomorrow...I have to drive to Boston next week and I'll really like to take the TDI on a shake-down run...lol).

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #923 on: April 03, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Back in 2007, I drove from Denver back to the east coast, and I did almost all of I-80 in a snow storm that was also moving east...roads were very slippery...ice covered, black ice, you name it...it was pretty nasty. Having been born and raised in Canada, I was pretty used to it. Across Nebraska and Iowa, I counted well over 100 semi trucks off the roads...it was surreal to see...there were groups of them...2, 3, 4, 5...whatever, laying on their sides, in ditches, upside down...wrecked, smashed etc. I couldn't imagine how much freight was at the very least delayed, and at the very worst, ruined.

I recognize your screen name from TDIclub. I only visit the Mk4 page, but I do see you on there as well. (Trying to get my ALH all finished up between today and tomorrow...I have to drive to Boston next week and I'll really like to take the TDI on a shake-down run...lol).

Rem

Hi!
Yeah, I see stuff like that on the news. Like Lemmings following each other into the ditch or median. Hey, maybe its slippery!! Slow down!! People that live up here and don't know how to drive in winter really make me crazy and annoyed. (just to stay on topic)
What's been up with your TDI?? I have a genuine Ross Tech VCDS cable if you need to borrow one for some diagnostics or "customizing".
The ALH TDI in the MklV are the only ones I've owned (and probably will, since I will never be able to afford a newer one). After the 2003 got rear ended last fall I bought a couple (actually four total) 1.8T MklV's. The '03 Jetta wagon I'm using now for the daily driver/commuter and a real nice $600 2003 Jetta Sedan with a broken TB will be the recipient of the wrecked TDI engine/transaxle at some point, hopefully this summer. It will be a real project when it comes into getting the ECU and immobilizer issues sorted out.
The original "jettawreck" (Silver One-2001 salvage project) has been idled mostly due to excess available vehicles and it developed and severely cracked windshield and rear spring for no real reason. Time to get the diesels back on the road. Oddly enough, regular gas and diesel  prices are very close to equal here right now.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #924 on: April 03, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Don't we have enough Jetta threads already? ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #925 on: April 03, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »

Word!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #926 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »

What's been up with your TDI?? I have a genuine Ross Tech VCDS cable if you need to borrow one for some diagnostics or "customizing".
The ALH TDI in the MklV are the only ones I've owned (and probably will, since I will never be able to afford a newer one). After the 2003 got rear ended last fall I bought a couple (actually four total) 1.8T MklV's. The '03 Jetta wagon I'm using now for the daily driver/commuter and a real nice $600 2003 Jetta Sedan with a broken TB will be the recipient of the wrecked TDI engine/transaxle at some point, hopefully this summer. It will be a real project when it comes into getting the ECU and immobilizer issues sorted out.
The original "jettawreck" (Silver One-2001 salvage project) has been idled mostly due to excess available vehicles and it developed and severely cracked windshield and rear spring for no real reason. Time to get the diesels back on the road. Oddly enough, regular gas and diesel  prices are very close to equal here right now.

I've had a couple ALH cars, but the current project is a one-owner 03 Golf diesel I picked up a couple months ago. Car only has 168k miles on it, but had the usual issues...no power...intake plugged almost solid, timing out of range (retarded), check engine light on for glow plugs, VNT stuck, and fuel filter 10 years old with 140k miles on it...LOL. However, there were enough good points I decided it was worth the trouble. Four new Michelin summer tires on rims, and four new Michelin winters on rims. New exhaust down pipe, new struts, and no rust to speak of. Anyway, I just fired her up 30 mins ago and she's runnin' like a champ. Timing set properly, new MAF, new turbo, new vacuum lines, new filters, and a shiny clean intake. Glow plugs and harness will be next...then timing belt. Every one of my knuckles is bleeding...lol.

Up until this week, diesel has been anywhere between 10% and 20% more than regular gas. They are currently almost the same...within a few pennies per gallon. Today, just about $4 Canadian per US gallon...converted, I guess that would be around $3.25 US/gallon.

What makes me crazy and annoyed? So-called "German Engineering"...LOL. Buggers...some days I could beat them with a tire iron...lol.
However, getting 60mpg doesn't annoy me.

You know what else makes me crazy and annoyed? People that don't maintain their stuff...lol. And I'm not referring to running around and fixing every little squeak and "clunk". I mean people that don't change their timing belts. I just talked to a guy yesterday with an 09 gas VW...timing belt snapped while just leaving town for March break with the kids. I had just told him a few months ago that he really needed to have the belt changed. I guess he didn't. He gave the car to the dealer for $800 and bought another one.

As the world turns;)

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #927 on: April 03, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
German engineering.
They do those things because they can. Not because they should.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #928 on: April 03, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

So, that's what makes you crazy and annoyed??
I understand. 'Course it wasn't a "Jetta  thread". More of a TDI "post".
Won't happen again. Maybe, but it's tough for us TDI guys when the car gets better mpg than the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #929 on: April 03, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Tough for us Prius guys as well, although there really isn't any fun factor in that vehicle.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

voileauciel

« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
Tough for us Prius guys as well, although there really isn't any fun factor in that vehicle.

I asked a gentleman once how he liked his, and he said "It's an excellent transportation appliance."

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »

I really don't own any four wheeled vehicles that have much "fun" factor either.
Most everything with tires that I have are transportation devices. Even the Polaris Sportsman ATV is mostly utility duty and carries a snowplow most of the time. Some vehicles are just better at it than others, depending on the task.
Although I have to admit, I would never get too excited about, or concerned with, figuring out how to do an engine swap in a Prius.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #932 on: April 03, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
I asked a gentleman once how he liked his, and he said "It's an excellent transportation appliance."

You know, that's exactly what it is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #933 on: April 03, 2015, 08:28:29 PM »
4 wheels move the body,
2 wheels move the soul
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2015, 06:10:30 AM »
4 wheels (and a battery)  move the body,
2 wheels move the soul

fixed it for Jim

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
And it's a very large battery indeed.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
Fed Ex and UPS delivery drivers, I know they are really busy and can spend only so much time at each house, but every single time I get a delivery, I hear the knock, I look, by the time I run, get my shoes, run to the door, leap off the back porch, run around the house, I'm tearing down the driveway yelling at the guy to stop, sometimes I get him right before he closes the door of the truck, many times not and I'm standing at the side of the road waving frantically for him to stop. This happens even when I see the truck stop and before he gets to the door, I usually don't even get to tie my shoes, I usually run out the door with no shoes on to catch him. And, on every single order I have made, on the order form where they ask for any special instructions, I always type in, "please place package on back porch at rear of house". Simple huh? Nope. Its a matter of walking 15 extra feet.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
Your driver sucks. I couldn't ask for better customer than I get from my driver.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »
I'm expecting a 26lb package today, I know that guy ain't gonna park, pick up the box, walk the 70 feet to my door, knock, wait, post a note, then walk back to the truck. What he's gonna do is run up to the house, knock lightly as he's running past the door to the truck, jump in and drive off like a bat outta hell.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #939 on: April 04, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
5 litres S4-R
1 filter
Set of pads (HH) for the front
25 pack of bolts and nuts
And 3 drain plug gaskets

$296.45

Then they want $520.00 + and tax for a new set of PR4GT's plus install.
Then insurance and registration.

Stealerships. And they wonder why more people are buying on line.

Have to put the blinders on to ride in our short season.