Author Topic: Reefer Madness  (Read 11625 times)

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
Reefer Madness
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-killer-weed-20110928,0,2646834.story

Great story written about the chemist who turn a natural herb (my opinion) into a killer with no intention of creating a drug for public use. For all the OldKids who remember the sixties you will find this interesting.
On the blue shore of silence

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Re: Reefer Madness
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
   Kind of amazing that they left out the reason why he synthesized those compounds. He got a great big grant to study the effects of marijuana on humans...but then couldn't get permission to use real marijuana. So he did what he had to do; he made what he needed. And now he's getting all sorts of crap for it.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
Interesting.....will pass that on to the writer of the story and ask "how come" he left it out? Thanks

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-killer-weed-20110928,0,2646834.story

Great story written about the chemist who turn a natural herb (my opinion) into a killer with no intention of creating a drug for public use. For all the OldKids who remember the sixties you will find this interesting.

The only thing I remember about the 60's is $11 for a 3 finger baggie. ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
The only thing I remember about the 60's is $11 for a 3 finger baggie. ;)

weren't they called "lids" back then...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
I have no idea why I'm interested in this...I must be :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Excavator

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »

weren't they called "lids" back then...

They were called that in the 70s for sure....of course I just remember hearing that in high school.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
Yes, yes.  All theory and hypothetical suppositions.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
Yes, yes.  All theory and hypothetical suppositions.

Indeed...  8)

Why am I all of the sudden craving 7/11 nachos reading this thread though...  ???

I like the last couple sentences of this read Jim, whenever I hear martini I think of you.  ;)

"Huffman has never considered smoking his compounds, but he did smoke marijuana — once. It was in the mid-1990s, at a research conference in Arizona.

Two researchers flew in from Amsterdam with "very high-quality Dutch hash" tucked into a matchbox, he said. They offered. He smoked — scientific curiosity prevailed.

The effects were similar to two-and-a-half martinis, he recalled. And the smoke burned his throat.

"I decided to stick to martinis," the professor said. "They're legal."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
I can certainly attest to the effects of 2.5 martinis...  as to the other...I'll drink the fifth.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
I can certainly attest to the effects of 2.5 martinis...  as to the other...I'll drink the fifth.

:-X   :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
And I cannot say 'reefer' with a straight face.  I spent too much time listening and watching these two in the early 70's.

Cheech & Chong Up in smoke car joke

They totally ruined me...

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
KNOCK  KNOCK  KNOCK

"Who is it?"

"It's Dave."

"Dave's not here."

I never smoked but I wouldn't have made it through high school without Cheech & Chong and Dave.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
I still love the Cheech & Chong movies, even knowing every line I still laugh my butt off!  ;D

Ain't that a peach!!  :rotflmao:

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
Ah the Karmic wheel...... watched Cheech and Chong with my kids once......ever since they can't resist knocking on the bathroom door and yelling "Dave's not here man"....  and an ounce of pot was a LID and 2.5 martini would never make me want to eat 7/11 nachos.....barf them maybe but not crave them!  :'(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Ah the Karmic wheel...... watched Cheech and Chong with my kids once......ever since they can't resist knocking on the bathroom door and yelling "Dave's not here man"....  and an ounce of pot was a LID and 2.5 martini would never make me want to eat 7/11 nachos.....barf them maybe but not crave them!  :'(

I only thought they were for display....  It's like eating Mo's pickled eggs.  Bad things can happen.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
Now, the classic 1936 Reefer Madness is a must view for all wannabe toke heads!!

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Mr Tee is CORRECT......so drink a couple of Martini's before you do. Me I am left to drink Dalhwinne tonight and think of the old days!  HMMMMMMM and maybe some 7/11 nachos.......or at least a dominos pizza delivered.  ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Go with the pizza.  You won't be sorry.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
...  and an ounce of pot was a LID

It's all very fuzzy, but I seem to remember a lid as being 3 fingers - an unweighed amount, but somewhat less than an oz. That may have varied by region.

Disclaimer - I have no personal knowledge of lids, ozs, or marijuana. This is all just hearsay. I think. Can't remember. Don't quote me on that.  8)
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.