Author Topic: Super P!$$ed at myself, contact cleaner over spray on trim  (Read 11963 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Noticed that my made in china USB phone charging port wasn't working anymore. So i investigated the issue. Thought maybe i had a little fouling on the contacts in the USB plug, so i hit it with a little contact cleaner, AND OVER SPRAYED ONTO THE LH COVER PANEL !!!! and of course it dis colored it and looks like $h!T. Just thought id share my brain fart and now ill have to look at my screw up every time i throw a leg over her. And i tried trim cleaner/shiner, tire shine, WD40, brake fluid, tooh paste, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, window cleaner and nothing sem to bring it back.. :(

Pic added
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:15:57 AM by 2talltim »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline Cuda

Re: Super P!$$ed at myself
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
BRAKE FLUID ??? :battle:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
Sometimes sh!t just happens.   Imagine how the folks feel who unintentionally nail the throttle instead of the brakes in their car  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 04:11:06 AM »
Sometimes sh!t just happens.   Imagine how the folks feel who unintentionally nail the throttle instead of the brakes in their car  :o

Wow, glad to see you back posting!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:32:42 AM »
Quote from: Cuda link=topic=17189.msg210491#msg210491 date=14008you14341
BRAKE FLUID ??? :battle:

It's the unpainted black plastic trim panel on the top left side, brake fluid will actually soften and condition plastic and rubber to I tried a test spot. My dad used to have a Chevy avalanche with all that black plastic and that's all he ever put on it. It was worth a shot.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
 :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 06:14:33 AM »
:(

I got something on my panel that made it look this way, not as bad as yours though. I rubbed some 303 Aerospace Protectant on and it took care of it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:41 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Super P!$$ed at myself, contact cleaner over spray on trim
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »
This reminds me of when someone got blue inkpen on my PERFECT light grey leather seat in the G37.  I tried a few things and nada.  Finally used isopropyl.  That removed the ink.... and the grey leather dye right along with it.  Thankfully it is a small spot on a rear seat in a not terribly noticeable place.

Then there is the windshield on the Concours.  I have no idea when or where or how it happened, but as you can see in the photos below, some type of chemical was splashed on the screen and "stained" it.  It is hard to capture on film (but EASY to see in person) so I highlighted it in red on the second photo.  It is permanent.  At least it is easily replaceable and something that will be replaced, anyway, with wear.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:51:00 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
I got something on my panel that made it look this way, not as bad as yours though. I rubbed some 303 Aerospace Protectant on and it took care of it.

That 303 is some good stuff, alright. Must have gold in it though, at $30 bucks for a pint. I just now waterproofed my Wave Runner cover with the fabric guard. Incredible stuff. Hope it, or something, works for OP.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »
Wow, glad to see you back posting!

I got a special invitation :)

Still bikeless.  I feel the OP's pain.  When the reservoir cover gasket failed on the clutch side, got some permanent marks in the same area from the brake fluid.  Tattoo's from being actually used and ridden.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »
Plasti-dip it and the one on the other side.  Will give you a removable, matte-finish black that looks really good
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
Just plaster one of these stickers over the stain...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
no need to get excited. that whole part is like $40.  we burn more $$$ every time we do a squid burnout.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
no need to get excited. that whole part is like $40.  we burn more $$$ every time we do a squid burnout.

:goodpost:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »

or even just a few tanks of gas, nowadays
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc