Author Topic: Odd Angel GT tire wear.  (Read 9071 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Odd Angel GT tire wear.
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
Ok so i just returned from a 1800 mile trip from the BRP, Outerbanks and Super twisty roads through WV. When i left my front had some slight (i mean very slight) shaking at slow speed i assumed it was some light cupping on the tire due to my 3100 miles trip out west that was 80% slab. Now on the recent trip everything seem to not get any worse till the trip home we started the last day in Roanoke VA and took US RT 250 all the way home into Ohio. That is a very twisty very technical road that i was hitting pretty hard. Once we got into Ohio i noticed the shake was now extreme at mid range speeds, i was having to force the bike to make left turns and you can feel a obvious cupping running your hand along the tire. The cupping is all on the left side when making a right hand turn she handled smooth and like she should, the lefts were hard over and shaky. Now not sure if you can tell from my crappy pics but im down to the wear bars on both shoulders of the tire but not i the middle or edges.

Now I'm in no way complaining about the mileage I've gotten, this tire has just shy of 9000 miles on it. The last ST i took off had around 10-12m. I'm just thinking this is very odd wearing. I've always run 40 psi or more, usually 42, this trip i upped to 43 because i was loaded heavy. Just wondering if I should change any suspension settings or maybe try a different tire, or pressure, or maybe i should look for some kind of hard parts wear. Or could it be a flaw in the tire and or or broken cords from a pot hole impact.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
Re: Odd Angel GT tire wear.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
just had to add a photo from my trip.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Nice scenery!  If I'm not mistaken the Angel GT's are dual-compound with a harder rubber in the center and softer/stickier rubber towards the edges.  Unless you're under-inflated (hard to do on a C14 w/ TPMS) you're riding on the hard center when you're going straight.  But anytime you turn, and usually it's the LOW speed ones, you will wear the softer rubber. Anywhere where we drive on the RIGHT, the LEFT side of the front tire will wear more.  Why?  Think about it...  You probably turn left or right about the same number of times, but with left turns you almost always have to go a much longer route than with a right hand turn.  So the left side of the tire sees more action.

Heck if you got 9K miles outta these, that's pretty good IMHO!

Offline jwh20

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
As far as other tires, my C14 has Michelin PR2's on it and I'm very happy with them so far.  They came on the bike from the PO so I really don't know how many miles are on them other than less than 10K because that's all the bike has on it.  I've put about 2K since I bought it and I'm not detecting any wear yet.

I'll probably switch to PR3's or PR4's when these are used up.  I have a set of PR3's on my ZX-14 and I really like them.  They handle great and have excellent traction.  For the style of riding I do, which is relatively relaxed, I thought they were a better choice than some super-sticky sport bike tires.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:43 PM »
Now I'm in no way complaining about the mileage I've gotten, this tire has just shy of 9000 miles on it. The last ST i took off had around 10-12m. I'm just thinking this is very odd wearing.

Looks normal to me...my front tires have always worn like that...well, for as long as I've been running sport-touring tires at least...since 2007 or so.

They always seem to get all "lumpy" and cupped if I leave them on there long enough.

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
Looks normal to me...my front tires have always worn like that...well, for as long as I've been running sport-touring tires at least...since 2007 or so.

They always seem to get all "lumpy" and cupped if I leave them on there long enough.

You talking about tires or underwear?  :_shudder_Emoticon

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
Do you ride on on the left upper side of lane by chance, if so that looks to be caused by the camber of the road. Big ass heavy bike, with a big ass heavy guy riding it!!!  :rotflmao:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
This is a pretty standard wear pattern for a dual compound tire.  The harder center wears flat slowly from lots of slab riding and the softer sides wears more quickly with turns, leaving a kind-of 3 position wear.  And the right side will typically wear more than the left due to ramps.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
Do you ride on on the left upper side of lane by chance, if so that looks to be caused by the camber of the road. Big ass heavy bike, with a big ass heavy guy riding it!!!  :rotflmao:

Not always. and your no help.  :P

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
Sounds like i just need to spoon on another GT and go the next 9000 miles and hope for more. And replace to battery or sensor in the front wheel, tired of staring at that red light for thousands of miles, took care of the rear one in june.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 04:57:13 AM »
You talking about tires or underwear?  :_shudder_Emoticon

Real men don't wear underwear...lol, everybody knows this...haha!!

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

Gross!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Shoe

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
That looks like normal tire wear to me. Time to get a new set. Treat yourself good. No one else will. Don't leave anything behind.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »

now you're going to tell me I shouldn't do my nails...  :o
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
Especially when anyone is looking..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Not always. and your no help.  :P

Camber of the road caused that for what section of the road you typically ride on, that is why that is occurring. ;) And you ARE a big ole boy, what you expect is gonna happen?  :P
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »
Ordered a new tire and will be checking the stem and wheel bearings during the tire change, hopefully i find nothing.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Checked everything out and nothing seems loose and nothing hanging up so as soon as the new tire gets here ill spoon it on and be good to go.