Author Topic: Going from a C14 to an RT  (Read 9136 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Going from a C14 to an RT
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Thanks Chief but I'm not going anywhere. Except to Europe, where I'll be RENTING an RT. I plan to put another 85,000 on my C14 back in the good ole USA.

Well, that's a relief.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
I just rode an 1100RT for 6000k in Europe. Even though it was an older model, I found it very comfortable, handled well, and just enough power. I think it could use one more gear. In the switchbacks, first was often too low and second too high. At the top end on the Autobahn, it was working pretty hard at 150KPH, but still OK. The steering with the paralever setup is a little funny. Very well behaved, but took a fair amount of pressure on low speed tight turns. It was wearing PR3's and that was outstanding all the way around.

All that said....and not to take anything away from tour operators.....but I would just rent and ride. Unless you really want to pay the thousands of dollars for guidance, it could easily be done on your own. The difference will cover your airfare. Fuel prices were a bit of hit, paying somewhere around 8-9 dollars per gallon. Makes our current $4 look pretty good here.

Thats enough......don't want to take the thread completely off track.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
I couldn't agree more with 2fast. Lather, if you want we can work out a tour for you. I have done the areas you show many, many times and have better suggestions. I can help you organize the route, the hotels, the lot. It's not really a generous offer, I just enjoy the hell out of planning rides and I might do it first miself just for QC  ;)
If you don't mind, PM me the page of this operator in Erding (by the way, I go for brunch on Sundays sometimes there) and I'll look into them.
Just one thing: I'm riding to Sorrento and the south of Italy tomorrow for a week, but I'll check from time to time. So don't worry if I don't answer immediately.

EDIT: I just looked into their page. They seem good, but again, just rent the bike and organize your own tour. They charge about 3000 euros for a 9 days tour. BMW-Motorrad (www.bike-travel-service.de) rents an RT for 1055 euros a week with 2100 km free. And there are cheaper options. And nice hotel double rooms can be had in Europe for 80 euros or less a night. Do the math.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »
Ah, it's just for a limited rental period in Europe, mostly in Germany...
Pheeewww... I thought you were about to BUY a BMW   :cannon:
 :)

Anyway...

If you're looking for comfort the RT is far better than the Multi, no doubts.
But...

If you're planning to test the "NO SPEED LIMITS" German autobahns I'd go for the Multi!  ;)
Performances are way better than the RT: don't forget that the Ducati's engine derives from the Superbike!  :D

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
If you're planning to test the "NO SPEED LIMITS" German autobahns I'd go for the Multi!  ;)
Performances are way better than the RT: don't forget that the Ducati's engine derives from the Superbike!  :D

Definitely, but if the RT is perfectly capable of keeping up with the Autobahn traffic (it will eventually reach 230 kph/140 mph), unless he wants to have a burst. Then, I can organize a "test drive" with a ZX-14R from my dealer  :chugbeer:

Offline ugocon

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
Then, I can organize a "test drive" with a ZX-14R from my dealer  :chugbeer:
That would be the "ultimate" ride!  :D
I truly and deeply envy you!  >:(
:chugbeer:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more with 2fast. Lather, if you want we can work out a tour for you. I have done the areas you show many, many times and have better suggestions. I can help you organize the route, the hotels, the lot. It's not really a generous offer, I just enjoy the hell out of planning rides and I might do it first miself just for QC  ;)
If you don't mind, PM me the page of this operator in Erding (by the way, I go for brunch on Sundays sometimes there) and I'll look into them.
Just one thing: I'm riding to Sorrento and the south of Italy tomorrow for a week, but I'll check from time to time. So don't worry if I don't answer immediately.

EDIT: I just looked into their page. They seem good, but again, just rent the bike and organize your own tour. They charge about 3000 euros for a 9 days tour. BMW-Motorrad (www.bike-travel-service.de) rents an RT for 1055 euros a week with 2100 km free. And there are cheaper options. And nice hotel double rooms can be had in Europe for 80 euros or less a night. Do the math.
I really do appreciate your generous offer Martin, but the wife and I are going to splurge and do the pro tour. The Edelweiss tour offers some features that are important to us, including a group of other like minded riders to enjoy the trip with. I am hoping to convince some riding friends to join us, if not we look forward to meeting some new friends. Also the tour includes a chase van that carries our luggage  - very important to my lovely wife who always like to be well dressed. ::)
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 06:51:50 AM »

Sorry to venture O.T. a little, but, would a trip such as this require a little language course in German, or do the locals understand english enough that it's not anything to be concerned with?   

By the way, I'd go with the RT also.... :)   Mama will appreciate the comfort level vs. the Duc!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:42 AM »
My experience with language was that it was pretty easy. I speak English only, and found that most people in the hospitality industry speak enough English to help us get what we need. Learning a few polite phrases will help a little bit, hello, thank you, etc.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Sorry to venture O.T. a little, but, would a trip such as this require a little language course in German, or do the locals understand english enough that it's not anything to be concerned with?

My experience with language was that it was pretty easy. I speak English only, and found that most people in the hospitality industry speak enough English to help us get what we need. Learning a few polite phrases will help a little bit, hello, thank you, etc.

no worries on the English knowledge in Germany. Most people in Europe are forced to learn languages since most neighbours speak something else, and English is very popular. Germans have the habit of avoiding doing something if they can't do it perfectly (even when they can speak rather good English), so it wouldn't be a bad idea to start says "sorry, my German is not good" in German, and then proceed with your inquiry in English, or something like that. Humor, politeness, etc., does not represent any value here. Efficiency and rules are much more important. Keep it in mind.

@Lather, I agree that if the group is important for you, and a van is carrying your luggage, then that's the way to go. In any case, if I can assist you with something, let me know.