Author Topic: Deepest Exhaust sound?  (Read 25258 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Deepest Exhaust sound?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
I consider it "stealth riding" and actually enjoy it. I'm with you Maxtog !!

Well, that makes three of us. Definitely a minority group around here.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:41 AM »
I would love the sound when you get on it but stealth riding saves licenses !

Well, that makes three of us. Definitely a minority group around here.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
Mine had the Leo Vince carbon with the tip installed. It liked the tone, especially when riding vigorously, but enjoyed to lower volume the rest of the time. It wasn't so much about the sound as it was the looks, but the sound was an added benefit.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
My signature used to be "If loud pipes save lives, I'm gonna live forever". But as I have aged, I no longer want to effect other peoples experience whatever it may be. I consider it "stealth riding" and actually enjoy it. I'm with you Maxtog !!

As lovely as that sounds, I keep my bikes quiet because I agree with Max on that one, but I'll keep my distance.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2016, 11:37:34 AM »
Stealth riding = Underpromise but overdeliver
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline JerBear

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
The bikers that "Spank the asphalt" with their Thunder Wagons are a nuisance to their environment and Cop magnets.  When I was a kid, we would clothespin a card to the spokes of our bikes to make a motor sound, there was always a guy or two that clipped four of them on....sounded like a tractor!  After a few years I grew up.

Potata-Potata-Potata :cool:
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
As lovely as that sounds, I keep my bikes quiet because I agree with Max on that one, but I'll keep my distance.

:grouphug:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cpeny

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
I saw a guy who had red and blue lights behind him for about 2 miles.  When he finally stopped for the officer he said he could not hear the officers siren on his patrol car because his exhaust was too loud.  The poor guy went to jail and had his bike towed away.  I knew from that moment on that it was about riding ability and not sound.  Plus, I too am with the minority with quite exhaust.  Trying to save what little hearing I have left.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
I saw a guy who had red and blue lights behind him for about 2 miles.  When he finally stopped for the officer he said he could not hear the officers siren on his patrol car because his exhaust was too loud.

He also had no mirrors??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
Just because some of us have slip-ons installed doesn't mean that our exhausts are loud as hell. My Area P slip-on is very sedate when I ride my bike that way. Can it get loud? Yes but only when I want it to be.

From Area P's site.

The sound readings are taken statically using the standard 20" test at 45°. Slip-On exhaust tone is very different, though the actual decibel levels are very similar.  Very low frequency. 

Full System - An all gear cruising and to the soft limiter sound byte is noted below.  Exhaust tone is very deep, low frequency.  Sounds awesome.  Muffler is positioned slightly under the bag to assist deflection and attenuation of sound.

Idle             5000rpm
Stock                                                  77-78 dbA      92-93 dbA

Slip-On - 18" Muffler, 2.0" core             83-84 dbA      92-93 dbA

Full System - 18" Muffler, 2.25" core     86 - 87 dbA    98 - 99 dbA

http://areapnolimits.com/sound/c14.mp3

YMMV
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Just because some of us have slip-ons installed doesn't mean that our exhausts are loud as hell. My Area P slip-on is very sedate when I ride my bike that way. Can it get loud? Yes but only when I want it to be.

From Area P's site.

The sound readings are taken statically using the standard 20" test at 45°. Slip-On exhaust tone is very different, though the actual decibel levels are very similar.  Very low frequency. 

Full System - An all gear cruising and to the soft limiter sound byte is noted below.  Exhaust tone is very deep, low frequency.  Sounds awesome.  Muffler is positioned slightly under the bag to assist deflection and attenuation of sound.

Idle             5000rpm
Stock                                                  77-78 dbA      92-93 dbA

Slip-On - 18" Muffler, 2.0" core             83-84 dbA      92-93 dbA

Full System - 18" Muffler, 2.25" core     86 - 87 dbA    98 - 99 dbA

http://areapnolimits.com/sound/c14.mp3

YMMV

I can tell ya those extra 8-10 dbA on the full system is very noticeable.

Offline leisyman

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
Rhino is right on the money.
6db difference is actually twice as loud, per the decibel scale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
Rhino is right on the money.
6db difference is actually twice as loud, per the decibel scale

"How many decibels is twice as loud?"

"Doubling of the volume (loudness) should be sensed as a level difference of +10 dB − acousticians say. Doubling of sound intensity (acoustic energy) belongs to a calculated level change of +3 dB. +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (loudness) in psychoacoustics − mostly sensed."
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline cpeny

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
I have heard it said before, but can not seem to remember; what decibel level you start to lose some of your hearing?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
The bikers that "Spank the asphalt" with their Thunder Wagons are a nuisance to their environment and Cop magnets.  When I was a kid, we would clothespin a card to the spokes of our bikes to make a motor sound, there was always a guy or two that clipped four of them on....sounded like a tractor!  After a few years I grew up.

Potata-Potata-Potata :cool:

As much as I hate the loud, obnoxious sound of a V- twin tractor motor Harley, I love the sound of a V- twin 1199 Panigale at 9,000 rpm or a C-14 at 9,000 rpm w/o the black bazooka donkey dong.

Offline bkromer

• 2012 C14 Black
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Just installed a Delkevic carbon fiber 14 inch stubby on my 2012.The exhaust looks great and has a nice deep sound but not obnoxious. Their exhausts are good quality and are cheaper than the competition,and they ship for free.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer

Bruce