Author Topic: Shoei Helmets  (Read 940 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Shoei Helmets
« on: November 28, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »
Thinking about getting one of these helmets...  Anyone have any experience with Shoei helmets in general or the GT-AIR-II?   What's the difference between the full face models?  I have a full face Indian modular but not buying that one again.  The only good thing about that was the pin lock anti-fog.  Never used the modular aspect and the quality is abysmal.  I've been a full face helmet kind of guy forever (see avatar) so I'm looking for something good this time.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline greenie

• Arena
Re: Shoei Helmets
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 06:22:17 AM »
I have had Shoei full face helmets since I started riding 35 plus years ago. My latest - to replace a damaged helmet was purchased this past August - a Shoei RF-1200 . I always ride with the shield up - it's quiet that way with my head being right in the turbulence zone from the stock windshield.
I've tried a few other helmets - briefly- over the years - a Bell back in the early 90's that was crazy loud.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 06:31:29 AM »
I posted about this a long time ago...

I bought a Shoei GT Air to replace my Scorpion EXO-1000.  It is a very nice helmet- it is quiet, light, well-made, has great ventilation, and feature-packed.  Although it was expensive, it was better than the EXO-1000 in most every way.  I did not like the pin-lock anti-fog visor.  It sorta works, but makes for more optical compromise, increased cost, and I guess I just don't have as much problem with fogging, anyway.

However...

The GT Air caused me causing nausea-inducing headaches and red stripes on my head after 30-60 min.  Always.  No amount of adjustments, replacement pads, or time made any difference.  After years of trying and reverting back to my old Scorpion EXO-1000,  I ended up buying a new Scorpion EXO-T1200 to replace the Shoei.  I put the Shoei in a box and it is still sitting in my closet.  I can't use it, and because I modified it, I couldn't/can't sell it.

But that is just a quirk of my head.  I doubt many others would experience the same thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 06:35:57 AM »
Thanks..

Max, always thought your head was quirky...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 06:47:00 AM »
Thanks..  Max, always thought your head was quirky...

Oh, there is no doubt there.
I am not sure if it is shape or some issue with nerve sensitivity.

I am not sure what size you are, but if you like, next time you are in my area, you can have my XL silver Shoei Air along with the XL and L pad sets, if you want it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »
Well, I haven't ever had an issue with Scorpions (I've owned many) head fit.   What size Scorpions do you wear?  I've always used large.

Looked at the Scorpion line up and am interested in the EXO-R1 Air solid white.  It has pin lock (Yeah!) and comes with a dark smoke sun shield (I always had to buy that extra in years before).

Oh bother.... :(   The R1 doesn't have a sun visor, it comes with a dark outer shield which I'm totally over carrying extra shields.  I've grown used to interior sun visors and pin lock.  The lack of either one is a deal breaker.  Morton's BMW supposedly carries Shoei GT-AIR II.  I like Morton's in F'burg and I have bought many an accessory from them for my style of riding.  At least I can try one on (hopefully) to check fit if they don't carry a white helmet.  Going with visibility these days.  Don't like graphics.  At least I can put Indian stickers on it.. ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 07:57:01 AM »
Well, I haven't ever had an issue with Scorpions (I've owned many) head fit.   What size Scorpions do you wear?  I've always used large.

Extra large, but with some L pad sets.  Most helmets, L and XL are the same shell, just different pads.

Oh bother.... :(   The R1 doesn't have a sun visor

I can't live without an internal, drop-down sun shield.  Best.  Feature.  Ever.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
Went into Morton's in Fredericksburg and tried on a Shoei GT Air 2 large...it fit fine.  They just didn't have one in stock..white.   So decided to also get the Sena SRL 2 which is made for that helmet.  Both were on sale for Black Friday.  The guy at the counter told me he would install the Sena for me when the helmet came in.  What service!  I've always like Morton's.  They have the accessories for anyone long distance riding such as heated gear and Sena products.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »

Oh bother.... :(   

Where have I heard that phrase before?.... ::)

https://youtu.be/i6ktmU3nl5I

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 08:49:47 AM »
I'm a little late here but you will like the Shoei, I've been wearing them now for about 30 years and currently have an RF1200 in bright yellow as they don't make the bright orange anymore. Plus, it's not made in China which many now are and that's a deal breaker for me.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 11:47:49 PM »
Jim, I have owned a couple of Shoei Neotec flip front helmets over the years and found them to be excellent

I Have an Arai full face which fits better than other full face helmets

Its all a matter of personal choice and head shape .... either way they do represent a sizeable investment, but as the saying goes "if you have a ten bob head, then buy a ten bob helmet"
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 06:11:23 PM »
Late to this one. I came to Shoei after a car pulled in front of me and I wanted to upgrade to a quieter, better helmet.

Started with the R 1100 and rode it for 4 years. Tried to go with the R1200 but it did not feel right to I bought an Arai and then when that did not fit well wearing it around the house I tried the Schuberth which also did not feel good to wear for hours.

Went back to Iron Pony in Cols Ohio and talked to the sales guy. He steered me toward the Shoei RF SR after talking about increased air flow in the upright position we sit the Concours. Rode it last year and went back and forth with the R1100. THe airflow difference was noticable.

I have owned GMax, Fulmer, HJC and a couple of others I am sure I have forgot but the Shoei keeps bringing me back .
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt