Author Topic: Tank Protector  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Mort Canard

Tank Protector
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Hello Folks!  I am new to the forum and to the Concours.  I just bought a 2001 C10 a few days ago and have enjoyed it very much so far. 

The finish on the bike was very well taken care of by the last owner and I am a little worried about my belt buckle or buttons on my leather jacket will mar the finish on the tank.  I am not a big fan of tank bras or covers as I have seen them collect dirt and grit and scratch or dull the paint finish.  I have also seen some of the stick-on plastic protectors that are often used on cafe bikes.  These look good but the adhesive could also affect the paint. 

What kind of tank protectors are popular among this crowd and work well?

Thanks in advance!

Mort
Little wheel turns by the fire and the rod.
Big wheel turns by the grace of god.
Every time that wheel comes round,
'Bound to cover just a little more ground.

Offline jim_de_hunter

Re: Tank Protector
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
You'll find that this is an especially penurious crowd.  If the belt buckle is the problem, we'd ride without the belt rather than purchase more protection.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
 :rotflmao:  With my middle-age paunch, going without a belt would end up as a rather rude display and a continual game of tug and pull with my pants.   :yikes: 

No mistake, I am a confirmed tightwad!!!  My friends quite enjoy making fun of my  cheapskate ways.  Still I hate being penny wise and pound foolish.  Few things are worse than realizing that I could have spent a few bucks before hand and saved my self a lot of time, effort and money!

Those dark grey carbon fibre look stick-ons might look fairly unobtrusive between the dark blue tank and the black seat. 

I guess I will just use some felt trapped between the seat and the tank this weekend.  Gotta spend some time on the bike.  Back here Monday! 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:50:25 PM by Mort Canard »

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:21:57 AM »
Get a scrap of magnetic material from a sign shop, have them stick a scrap of vinyl on it, $5 maybe.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
  I am not a big fan of tank bras or covers as I have seen them collect dirt and grit and scratch or dull the paint finish.

I've had a Baglux/Bagster full tank cover (not a tank bra) for the past three years. I took it off a few weeks back as I too was thinking how the paintwork was underneath.

I needn't have worried, tank paint was perfect  :).
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
Interesting, I have had the Kawi Tank Bra on both my Connies, never any problem with the paints finish, but. I hava about 3 coats of wax on our wonderfully large Fuel tank, and I make sure that there is monthlky some fresh wax directly under the bra. I personally like the look, and it just so happens is on the Sonic Blue 01. Here is a pic, you decide, but i believe the bra gives the best protection.   
JMPO,
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the ideas folks!  I will try to come up with a solution this week. 

Pfloydgad,
Your bike is almost an identical twin to mine.  Mine is also an 01, I still have the original windscreen and I don't have a rear trunk or of course a tank bra yet.