Author Topic: Where to go...  (Read 2649 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Where to go...
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
So I bought the 08 concours in Dec and put about 20K miles on it thus far...  2 trips to Southern Utah, one to San Diego (Mt. Polmar and Julian) and then a ton of rides all over AZ with sportbike riders.  I amin between jobs and I am expecting a offer this week and I already preped the wife that in celebration of the new job I was going to take a trip.  I am thinking a 4 to 5 day trip to California perhaps ride the 101 and a few other areas I have never done on a bike before. Or maybe Muholland drive...  I am not sure...   Any recommendations?

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: Where to go...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »
Can't give you any recommends on location, but good luck on the job offer!
Will

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »
WOW Wild,
Let me get this straight, you want the masses on this site to:
Tell You Where To Go, right ?
You are one brave dude  ;)
No worries, but here in Ohio, I wish I had as many choices as you have for your neck of the woods. I would probably kill myself trying to schedule time off if I lived out there.
I do a spin the map technique sometimes. Spin an open map one direction, your index finger in the other, close your eyes and drop that finger onto the map, There you go, literally, a ride.
Have fun planning, it is just a small part of the fun.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

valkmc

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
I rode the 101 on the way back from Alaska this summer great ride, I also rode through Yosemite it was also great. If you go through go as early as possible, I went throught the gate at 7:30am, no one at the booth just a sign to pay on exit. There was no traffic at all and I had a blast. I even slowed down a few times to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. Death Valley was Ok, it was very hot but I enjoyed it also.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Or maybe Mulholland drive...  I am not sure...   Any recommendations?

Other sportbike forums warn riders about Mulholland nowadays.  The drive is getting very popular and so very busy with cars as well as bikers.  The general warning is to watch your speed because the curves can be tricky. Cars and bikers crossing lines, wide in curves, etc.

My two cents...
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
Hy2/Angeles Crest Hy would be a nice area to play in on your way to the coast. My KLR enjoyed the area. Watch out for snow in the higher elevations, obviously.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline GaryW

• 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
So I bought the 08 concours in Dec and put about 20K miles on it thus far...  2 trips to Southern Utah, one to San Diego (Mt. Polmar and Julian) and then a ton of rides all over AZ with sportbike riders.  I amin between jobs and I am expecting a offer this week and I already preped the wife that in celebration of the new job I was going to take a trip.  I am thinking a 4 to 5 day trip to California perhaps ride the 101 and a few other areas I have never done on a bike before. Or maybe Muholland drive...  I am not sure...   Any recommendations?

Here are a bunch of routes to consider and link together http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/states/CA.shtml

Recently did Las Vegas to Big Bear, down to Orange County, up 1 to San Luis Obispo, across to Yoesemite through Fresno, then across the mountain at HWY 4, down 395 to Lone Pine and back through Death Valley west to east, then south.  About 3 days round trip from Las Vegas. Saw about every geographic type imaginable, from sea, to farm, to many different types of mountains and desert.  You could do a hybrid skipping the Big Bear part.....bring warm gear in reserve, you will also see every weather type.

Rode DV last week from south (starting at Shoshone entrance) to north up to Scotty's Castle, a great time to visit, nice weather, easy one day ride from PHX to DV area.  Could cut through Mojave Nat Preserve from 40, spend night in Baker, then go to DV from Baker. Spend night 2 in Beatty or LV area, then head to AZ.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
If you ride Mulholland hit PCH from the 10 go north and take Topanga canyon to Mulholland and run Mulholland to the Rock store stop and check it out then continue on Mulholland all the way to PCH. When you it PCH go north a little ways and just after you crossover into Ventura county there is a place on the right think it’s called Neptune’s Landing. The clam chowder is said to be very good (I don’t touch the stuff), grab a drink and lookout over the ocean.  It can get busy on the weekends but during the week it’s almost deserted.  There are some very tight turns but it is a nice ride and can be a lot of fun.

Another really nice ride is Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear.   I was just up there last weekend, weather was perfect.  If you get up to Lake Arrowhead Village stop and eat at the waffle house. It’s right on the water and very scenic, the waffles are good also.   As winter approaches it starts to get cold up there and rain and snow are not far away.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
+1 on Neptune's Landing. Way cool place.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)