Author Topic: Safe?.....or am I just a woose/weenie/wimp  (Read 1761 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Safe?.....or am I just a woose/weenie/wimp
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I saw this on the other site (that I don't {try not to} post on anymore except to fulfill my AAD duties),.... but does this look safe to you?
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/top-block-w-highway-pegs/msg451291/#msg451291

I'm not questioning Brian Swanson's craftsmanship here (looks good to me), just the design on the end of the peg. I think the peg needs some sort of end cap to prevent it from going through a shin.

...or am I being one of those naysayers that is always seeing doom and gloom in a mary-jane-tinklepants sort of way?  :-\  ???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Safe?.....or am I just a woose/weenie/wimp
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I see what you are saying, but I am not sure.  At first glance, it does seem dangerous.  It is a-typical for a peg to fold BACK pointing more towards the driver.  They typically fold UP to make them smaller, and if they hit while cornering.  Need a better/more photos to know the full design, sine there doesn't seem to be a visible pivot point (that shown bolt doesn't line up correctly for being the pivot, unless the peg's "root" is not straight.

It appears to be in the "folded back" position (not ready to use) in the photo.  I have to wonder if that extra length, especially partially or fully extended, would limit cornering clearance.  Probably not, but hmmm.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
I am not sure of what your concern is. Is it when they pegs are extended? Or when collapsed? When riding, crashing or pushing the bike?

Honestly, I do not see anyone using that bike's legs' getting anywhere near those pegs in practice but I also assume I am missing your concern in the first place. Please do elaborate....

As to the other forum, things are changing, and I <think> for the better. ?? It seems to be in a state of flux but pointing in a forward direction overall. I stop by and take a gander fairly often now though I post very little, and it IS different and 'new management' seems to be making a very active effort in that forum. Again, not a member and these are just my own private, outsiders' views so take all of it for what you paid for it....

Brian

I saw this on the other site (that I don't {try not to} post on anymore except to fulfill my AAD duties),.... but does this look safe to you?
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/top-block-w-highway-pegs/msg451291/#msg451291

I'm not questioning Brian Swanson's craftsmanship here (looks good to me), just the design on the end of the peg. I think the peg needs some sort of end cap to prevent it from going through a shin.

...or am I being one of those naysayers that is always seeing doom and gloom in a mary-jane-tinklepants sort of way?  :-\  ???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »
I am not sure of what your concern is. Is it when they pegs are extended? Or when collapsed? When riding, crashing or pushing the bike?

I'm probably wrong, but the outside tip of the peg (to the rear when folded back) is tapered towards the tip making it sharper, not sharp but still not blunt enough for me. So yeah, in a crash, pushing the bike, maybe even walking around it in the garage. Looks OK when extended, I just think it should be either blunter on the end or even better if it folded back around towards the bike more almost parallel with the rounded shaft that is part of the Top Blocks. Although uglier, even folded straight up would be safer, but then maybe that's just me being a  m.j. tinkle drawers.   :-\ :-[
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to the other forum, things are changing, and I <think> for the better. ?? It seems to be in a state of flux but pointing in a forward direction overall. I stop by and take a gander fairly often now though I post very little, and it IS different and 'new management' seems to be making a very active effort in that forum.

I very much agree, it's much better now, however I quit posting on any forum (free or dues paying) that will not let me go back and edit (and or delete) my posts without having to get a moderators permission or assistance. I check maybe once or twice a year on the forums I frequent, if I can't go back and add a comma or make any change to my very first post...I quit. Some of us have firearm hangups, religious bents, political opinionations that get the better of us...but my hangup is forum control of my posts.  :o :nuts: :loco: 
-------------------------------------
However I really want to discuss the folding pegs, and I just brought up the forum stuff to explain why I didn't ask my question over there. I think if it was on my bike and I couldn't get it to fold any further, that I'd add a tapered bumper behind the tip of the peg so that when folded back, the peg tip would be behind the shielding bumper thus protecting any body parts that might fly that way.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:12 AM »
I installed pegs like that on my Ducati. I ordered crash bars by SW-Motech from TwistedThrottle and they suggested mounts and pegs by another German company MFW. In fact the pegs look like the ones in Marty's pictures. The cutout is designed to allow wrench access to the mounting bolt. I did not like the look of the pegs either but bought them as they were recommended and I wanted to be sure to get pegs that matched the folding mounts. Since mu mounts are attached to crash bars with U-bolts and the mpints themselves will swivel I was able to get the pegs to fold up out of the way when not in use. I can't tell from the picture exactly how the pegs are mounted..
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
The cutout is designed to allow wrench access to the mounting bolt. I did not like the look of the pegs either but bought them as they were recommended and I wanted to be sure to get pegs that matched the folding mounts. Since mu mounts are attached to crash bars with U-bolts and the mpints themselves will swivel I was able to get the pegs to fold up out of the way when not in use.

My problem is actually not with the peg itself if it was folded differently. If it's going to be folded back that way instead of up when not in use then I think it isn't a safe choice of peg for that install as shown. Then again, just to be clear, I'm not saying the craftsmanship is poor but rather the design just doesn't look safe to my m.j. tinkle-pants mentality. I guess I'm alone in that feeling, and since it isn't on my bike...I'm going to let it alone.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
Oh, I did not even see that little piece projecting before you put the larger photo up: yep, that does look like a 'meat grabber' to me. It is way down on the bike and there are much bigger (wider) parts of the bike on top of it but still, walking around the bike if, say, working on it or polishing the windshield or something and yep, I could see pieces of pant leg and maybe leg hanging off of that thing. The shape could be softened / blunted but it will always project.

Perhaps a better design would be to have an extension on the peg itself that goes past the hinge point so that when the peg is in the position when you use it, the projection rests against the support frame?

As to the forum, I agree, if you have a particular facet or 'soft spot', any forum that does that would be a deal- killer regardless of any and all other attributes. I <think> that was done to prevent people having a tantrum and deleting 5 years of past posts and thereby making a significant mess of a thread(s) but am not sure. Still, I do completely understand the 'line in the sand' that drives your thinking here.

Brian

I'm probably wrong, but the outside tip of the peg (to the rear when folded back) is tapered towards the tip making it sharper, not sharp but still not blunt enough for me. So yeah, in a crash, pushing the bike, maybe even walking around it in the garage. Looks OK when extended, I just think it should be either blunter on the end or even better if it folded back around towards the bike more almost parallel with the rounded shaft that is part of the Top Blocks. Although uglier, even folded straight up would be safer, but then maybe that's just me being a  m.j. tinkle drawers.   :-\ :-[
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I very much agree, it's much better now, however I quit posting on any forum (free or dues paying) that will not let me go back and edit (and or delete) my posts without having to get a moderators permission or assistance. I check maybe once or twice a year on the forums I frequent, if I can't go back and add a comma or make any change to my very first post...I quit. Some of us have firearm hangups, religious bents, political opinionations that get the better of us...but my hangup is forum control of my posts.  :o :nuts: :loco: 
-------------------------------------
However I really want to discuss the folding pegs, and I just brought up the forum stuff to explain why I didn't ask my question over there. I think if it was on my bike and I couldn't get it to fold any further, that I'd add a tapered bumper behind the tip of the peg so that when folded back, the peg tip would be behind the shielding bumper thus protecting any body parts that might fly that way.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
Pics of I believe the same peg and pivoting mount by MFW on my Multistrada. The  OP apparently did not have the option of mounting such that the peg folded up. Even with the option you have to compromise between fold up position and optimal down osition for your bootsies.

Martin, are you going to the COG Nat or STAR? Gonna be nice and cool(er) in Wisconsin :D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »

Martin, are you going to the COG Nat or STAR? Gonna be nice and cool(er) in Wisconsin :D

Rub it in Bob :battle:....  I'm a COG AAD and on the committee for this years COG National so I have to be in Kerrville, I'm just a memba' in the MSTA. Still they gotta quit doing this to us, two years in a row now, and both times the MSTA got Nomar. I have hopes of attending both next year. I'm wishing for both events to be out west AND NOT ON THE SAME FRICKEN WEEK AGAIN! They wouldn't do it three years in a row...would they?  ???

Say "Hi" to Norm K. for me.