Author Topic: Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator install- C14  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Lone-Rider

Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator install- C14
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
The mailperson brought me a present today - my new Signal Dynamics Headlight modulator. Pretty slick and easy install, and the price beats the Kisan one pretty well, $89 delivered.

Took me all of 10 minutes to do a quickie install, I opted to NOT tap into the horn at this point, will wait until the first time I pull plastic to figure that out. The unit consists of a wire harness with two H4 sockets, an H4 plug, and a connector and the modulator unit with the connector for the harness, the photocell, and the wire to tap into the horn.

Installation was done without pulling any plastic. Pull the wires from the headlights, tape over and tuck away the right side connector. Plug the modulator harness into the headlamps, and the left side stock lamp connector into the harness. Then plug the modulator unit into the harness and tuck it away on the left side behind the other electrical connectors. For the time being I just zip-tied the photocell to the left side wire bundle that goes to the handlebars, when the plastic comes off I will look for a permanent place to mount it.

I know the Kisan unit might be a little bit easier install, essentially just plugging in between the stock wire harness and the lamps but it is also $170 ($80 more than the SD one), and only modulates the high beam, if you don't want modulation, you switch to low. The SD modulates on both high and low, but can be cancelled by switching from high to low and back (or low to high and back) within a couple of seconds. The SD also has a horn tap that will cause it to modulate when the horn is hit as an added attention getter, even if the modulator is in the off setting or it is night time.

I had an SD unit on my C10 for many trouble free years and am looking forward to the same with this one.