Author Topic: Moon, Venus and Mars within 2 degrees on Friday night.  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:10:31 AM by Rhino »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Moon, Venus and Mars within 2 degrees on Thursday night.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »
No matter where you go, you still have those people with the laser pointers..  I'd go out and look but it's too  :censored: cold.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:58:18 AM »
Too cold is right! It's minus 10f at the moment with more of the same for tomorrow night. I'll look at the pics online from my nice warm office chair.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
I have to admit if I were still in CO I would go out and look but wouldn't get the telescope out. I don't have a telescope here in TX but will definitely have a look with the naked eye. Hope its clear tomorrow evening.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »
Gonna be snowing and -10F tomorrow night, I'll try cause I like that stuff, but I think its going to be cloudy.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Title of this thread
Moon, Venus and Mars within 2 degrees on Thursday night.

OK, once again I'm confused?   ???  Shouldn't the title of this thread say Friday night?

http://www.universetoday.com/118906/catch-a-conjunction-triple-play-on-february-20th-as-the-moon-meets-venus-mars/#more-118906

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:22:39 PM by fartymarty »

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Should say Friday night.  I'm hoping for clear skies, and will either shoot pictures from my yard if I can see everything over the trees, or a nearby school parking lot if they aren't high enough in the sky.  I picked up a little 70mm refractor scope specifically to have more zoom on this than what's available with any of my telephoto lenses, but much less than the 1280mm focal length of my big scope with a focal reducer installed.  They will all be closest just prior to setting in the west, at least from here on the east coast.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Moon, Venus and Mars within 2 degrees on Friday night.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
Should say Friday night.  I'm hoping for clear skies, and will either shoot pictures from my yard if I can see everything over the trees, or a nearby school parking lot if they aren't high enough in the sky.  I picked up a little 70mm refractor scope specifically to have more zoom on this than what's available with any of my telephoto lenses, but much less than the 1280mm focal length of my big scope with a focal reducer installed.  They will all be closest just prior to setting in the west, at least from here on the east coast.

You are indeed correct, correction made.

I have a Mead 16" LightBridge with a 1829mm focal length. I get a pretty good apparent FOV using a 2" 17mm Nagler but no way would I be able to see more than one of the objects in the field. Besides, my LightBridge is 1000 miles away in CO. I also have a Bausch & Lomb 15-60x60 Spotting Scope that would be perfect for this even. But alas, also 1000 miles away in CO.  :'(