Author Topic: Feeling old and a little sad today...  (Read 4013 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Feeling old and a little sad today...
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
So today we moved our oldest daughter down to University of Oregon for her first year of college, man I forgot how small those rooms are, and she'll have a roomate in that little room. It makes me feel kinda old having a daughter in college now, man time goes fast, and I'm actually already sad knowing she won't be living at home for the first time in her life...  :(

We are so proud of her though, I know she'll do great away at school, and the one good thing is it's only about 100 miles away, so may have to do some weekend trips to still see her and catch a game. Mama on the other hand isn't taking it too well, lot's of tears saying goodbye...  :'(

Our other daughter is right behind her and in 2 years from now me and mama will be empty nesters but still in our early 40's...  :o :-\ :)

GO DUCKS!!!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:05:01 PM by ZG »

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Feeling old and a little said today...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
Yeah, it's hard. We've got #3 off at school in his third year. They're all home this weekend and the noise is grand. But, it's the way of life. There will be new adventures, trials, and tribulations. And hey, 84% of last year's grads are back home again. Thanks to the wonderful economy. It's an adjustment, but it's the way of life. Hang in there.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Feeling old and a little sad today...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
Yeah, it's hard. We've got #3 off at school in his third year. They're all home this weekend and the noise is grand. But, it's the way of life. There will be new adventures, trials, and tribulations. And hey, 84% of last year's grads are back home again. Thanks to the wonderful economy. It's an adjustment, but it's the way of life. Hang in there.

Thanks RD, next chapter indeed bro, that first chapter sure went too fast, I hope the 2nd chapter goes a little slower...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:20:53 AM »
My hat's off to the fathers of girls. God knew what he was doing when he gave me boys. Easier to raise and easier to see go out on thier own. Mama might argue with me on that though. Keep in mind no matter how far they go they are never really gone.
 :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:37:48 AM »
My hat's off to the fathers of girls. God knew what he was doing when he gave me boys. Easier to raise and easier to see go out on thier own. Mama might argue with me on that though. Keep in mind no matter how far they go they are never really gone.
 :thumbs:

I'll second those thoughts above! We've been empty nesters for 4 years. My youngest son (the professional student) is still in school but he's only 15 miles away. My oldest boy has three boys of his own, that's right, I have 3 grandsons.   :o

Girls are different for sure but we're VERY glad to have the house to ourselves! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »
Enjoy it while you can.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »
Try having all all of your children out of college, in their mid 30's, with a total of 12 grandchildren.

It's a real ball buster.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »
Nice photo Jay, and nice looking daughter- I don't mean that in the usual way but rather she looks happy and has a good sense of self. It shows in the photo and will serve her well all her life. And that is mostly due to you and mom so congrats and kudos. I am sure she will do fine in the new environment (school) and fit in while steering a reasonable course around some of the excesses that some kids get into when at school.

As far as feeling old, not to worry, you'll get older so this age is just a short portion on the longer journey. :-)

The mom thing can be tough- my first left the house at 18 and went to live with friends, I forget the name..... Oh yeah, the US Army. He turned 18 in August of 2001, signed up for induction in December and received a contract stating he would spend his tour in the US, go to school for XXX, etc. Then Sep 11 happened and the deal changed slightly- he went to basic and then AIT and then was sent to Afghanistan. Mom was not pleased to say the least. After that, home for a bit then Korea, and finally another tour in Afghanistan. The whole thing was pretty tough on his mother but when the second one joined in '06 it got tougher. He spent a tour in Korea and a full tour in Iraq before returning to the US. So I am pretty familiar with having an unhappy / depressed wife (while not being overly happy about it myself). In the end though, both came home intact so all is well and both are now also attending school.

After a fashion you might be lucky and have a few grandkids crashing around the house. I am waiting for that phase myself- my youngest is married and I gave them a booklet with pictures and everything but so far nothing swelling at their house. Unfortunately they are on the entire other side of the country so that will be a mixed blessing also- having grandkids but not being around to really interact with them and get to know them.

Best of luck Jay although I am sure you and your daughter will do well.

Brian

So today we moved our oldest daughter down to University of Oregon for her first year of college, man I forgot how small those rooms are, and she'll have a roomate in that little room. It makes me feel kinda old having a daughter in college now, man time goes fast, and I'm actually already sad knowing she won't be living at home for the first time in her life...  :(

We are so proud of her though, I know she'll do great away at school, and the one good thing is it's only about 100 miles away, so may have to do some weekend trips to still see her and catch a game. Mama on the other hand isn't taking it too well, lot's of tears saying goodbye...  :'(

Our other daughter is right behind her and in 2 years from now me and mama will be empty nesters but still in our early 40's...  :o :-\ :)

GO DUCKS!!!

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks brutha's, a great support group here indeed, I'm happy to be a part of it!!  :grouphug:   :chugbeer:

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
Thanks brutha's, a great support group here indeed, I'm happy to be a part of it!!  :grouphug:   :chugbeer:

12 steppin one thread at a time.  :D

I know how to fix that old feeling. Let's RIDE.......

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
12 steppin one thread at a time.  :D

I know how to fix that old feeling. Let's RIDE.......

Indeed Gumbi, indeed!   :thumbs: :thumbs: