Author Topic: Road Glide Ultra vs Victory Cross Country tour  (Read 6918 times)

Offline bubfryder

• 2009 C14
Road Glide Ultra vs Victory Cross Country tour
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
Now that I have the Connie sorted out (helibars, peg lowering, Corbin), I've been spending more and more time on the bike.  Problem w/ that is the wifey isn't a big fan of me being gone constantly  8)  I've asked her to come out on some rides w/ me, but she just isn't a fan of the riding position at all, even after lowering the rear pegs also.
She suggested I get an additional bike.. how cool is that?  Anyways, I was hoping that the collective knowledge on this board may have some info or warnings regarding either bike.  I'm a fan of the Vic, but not having the dealer support that HD has is a little concerning. 
Thanks in advance!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Road Glide Ultra vs Victory Cross Country tour
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
Wait a bit and the new Indian will be out.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
HD's awesome dealer network and support is very nice. Also, I truly believe the newer HD touring bikes are the best sorted-out packages available in that style bike. They have really done their homework and offer a very well integrated package of engine, frame, brakes, and handling. The bikes work well, look good, and very well backed by that network. But, you will pay for all that.

That being said, I have also ridden the newer Kawasaki Voyager, and it is an excellent package also at a more desireable price point. They compare favorably to the Road Glide: v-twin, full lockable matching hard bags and trunk, frame-mounted fairing, all the cruisecontrol/intercom/MP3/etc. bells and whistles. The Voyager also has more spacious rider / passenger accomodations that the HD, which can be a little cramped. Check one out.

Good luck. They are all good bikes.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
I would go with the frame mounted fairing.  More stable ride when the cross winds hit.  I checked out a road glide and it felt small to me.  Everyone I see who rides one or an ultra classic has their feet on the highway pegs even in town.  The Voyager just fit me better and it is the only bike my wife will ride on the back of.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
I like the looks and feel of the Victory. They have a 30 day try out offered right now.(not sure about fine print.) Low interest and 2 year warranty. Not sure about the H D incentives.
Joel from Maine.

Offline bubfryder

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
Don't think HD is offering much in the way of incentives.  Last year, if you rode a Vic at Sturgis, they would bump you up to 5 yrs of warranty.  Guess I'll wait and see if they do that again   8)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:27 AM »
Another one you might look at is the Yamaha Venture.  They discontinued it starting in 2014, but there are plenty of left over previous years.  Now I will say it is missing some of the features as the Vic or HD, but the money you save buying a new left over previous year will go a long way.  The Venture is a V4 with a lot more get up and go than the others.  The passenger seat is the biggest I have ever seen (my wife says she could probably ride nothing else now).  Handles just about as good as mu C-10 even though it is a big pig.  Comes with leg lowers and crash bars.  Large saddlebags and trunk.  Liquid cooled.  Calls for regular gas and runs great on regular.  Comes with 5 year warranty (all new ones no matter what year).   You can pick up a brand new leftover for anywhere between $14K- about $20K.  At $14K-15K, you save a lot for accessories.  I have over 80K on my bike and the only big problem I have had is the rear shock blowing out.  The stock Yamaha one sucks.  I replaced with an upgraded Hagon for $500 and it was built for my fatness.

Downfalls of the Venture:  Only made carbureted.  But I will say that I ride mine daily and other than a 10 minute carb synch every once in a while, no problems at all.  And no ABS, but as long as I change the pads with the EBC Double H pads when it is time, I have no problems with the brakes either.

I have ridden both the Victory and the RG (had one for a very short time).  The problem I had with the Victory is the cornering clearance.  Seemed to always rub around the curves.  Other than that, nice bike.  The RG rubbed quite a bit as well.  The RG was also hot as hell.  Considerable difference between it and the Venture.  I won't say that the Venture doesn't put off a little heat, but the Harley would get downright unbearable at times.  Not sure about the heat from the Victory as I only rode a couple of times for short periods.  The only good thing I can say about the Harley is that the stereo was pretty good.   

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:03 AM »
Hey Zsiska,  Did you ask the Harley or Victory dealer to add air to the rear shock(s) to compensate for your weight?  I found the roadglide and cross country to have great cornering clearance compared to the classically styled low floorboard cruisers.

I agree that the Venture has one of the best stock seats of any bike I have ever ridden.  Handlebar fairing, lack of instrumentation, carbs, and valve checks keep it off my list of future bikes.  The Voyager, RG, and Victorys all have hydraulic valves, Fuel injection, full instrumentation, etc.  I will say though that the Victory is the only one that will easily accomodate a very large person.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »
Hey Zsiska,  Did you ask the Harley or Victory dealer to add air to the rear shock(s) to compensate for your weight?  I found the roadglide and cross country to have great cornering clearance compared to the classically styled low floorboard cruisers.

I agree that the Venture has one of the best stock seats of any bike I have ever ridden.  Handlebar fairing, lack of instrumentation, carbs, and valve checks keep it off my list of future bikes.  The Voyager, RG, and Victorys all have hydraulic valves, Fuel injection, full instrumentation, etc.  I will say though that the Victory is the only one that will easily accomodate a very large person.

Yeah the RG seemed very small to me for such a big bike.  I am 6'4" and around 300 pounds (give or take a few).  The Voyager is similar to the Venture in size.  Just a touch smaller.  I liked the ergos best on the Victory (other than the Venture of course).  The handlebar fairing does not bother me at all.  I have all the instruments I need on the Venture. While the valves can be a pain in the ass, I do all my own maintenance and have the valve check down to a short amount of time.  And they have not needed adjusting in roughly 45K miles now.  I have checked them, but they have been fine.  I think they need adjusting more initially than later in the life of the bike.  And like I said as far as carbs go, they have been no problem at all.  I have never even yanked them off to clean them.  Just a synch every couple months and that is it.  And the synch can be done without removing anything.  Takes at most 10 minutes.  Plus I can always work on the carbs.  I also have a set cleaned and wrapped up for a quick switch just in case.  I am also a big fan of the V4 motor. Jst throwing the Venture out there.  And like I said for the price and warranty of a brand new one, you have plenty of cash to spend on extras versus no left over cash buying the others.

Offline bubfryder

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:03:45 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, spent most of the weekend test riding (horrible deal riding motorcycles all weekend  8)).  Rode a Vision, Cross Country, Road Glide, Electra Glide, Vaquero, Nomad, Voyager, Goldwing, F6B.. didn't think about a Venture tho.  For whatever reason, the Road Glides ergos were nearly perfect for the wife and I.  And I was wrong, the dealer made me a deal that I couldn't pass up.. so I'm going to go run w/ the pirate crowd for a while lol.  I'll go pick up my 2013 Road Glide Ultra later today  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:13 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, spent most of the weekend test riding (horrible deal riding motorcycles all weekend  8)).  Rode a Vision, Cross Country, Road Glide, Electra Glide, Vaquero, Nomad, Voyager, Goldwing, F6B.. didn't think about a Venture tho.  For whatever reason, the Road Glides ergos were nearly perfect for the wife and I.  And I was wrong, the dealer made me a deal that I couldn't pass up.. so I'm going to go run w/ the pirate crowd for a while lol.  I'll go pick up my 2013 Road Glide Ultra later today  ;D

Congrats and enjoy!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
The Road glides are very nice, enjoy!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
I don't understand either of these bikes
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
I don't understand either of these bikes

Quite a few of the HD parts are made in China......so there could be a bit of a language barrier. Not sure on the Victory, never owed one.