Author Topic: Throttle body sync  (Read 21286 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Throttle body sync
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
OK, cam chain is unbunched and valve cover, sticky coils and PAIR valve re-installed  (but blocked off) so now time to move on to the TB sync. I notice that Video Fred Harmon removed the fuel tank and accessed the #2  vacuum plug through the left throttle body hatch. I see no mention of this methodology on the FSM! After extensive flash light aided peering it looks like Fred's way is the only way. Has anyone been able to connect a line to the #2 without removing the fuel tank?

What have I gotten myself into :'(
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Throttle body sync
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
the trick is to install hoses routed out to the left side of the frame prior to re-installing the valve cover and all the other stuff....bit late now....
with the hoses routed out to the left, numbered, plugged and held in a spark plug loom clip, it makes it easy for the future use....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »
Yeah but like Rich said, it really helps to have the valve cover off to get to that port without removing the fuel tank. If the valve cover is already back in place you will have to decide if you want to remove it again or pull the tank. Removing the tank is really not hard nor does it take long to do and it is only difficult to handle if it is full or nearly so.

And again, as Rich said, put vacuum tubing on each T. B. port, route them all to the left and be done with it for all time. Cap the lines and either route them to someplace like under the frame support rail or capture the ends in a tie- wrap or similar.

The T.B. synch will be far easier than the valve adjust was do don't worry, you are on the down hill side of the trip.

Brian

OK, cam chain is unbunched and valve cover, sticky coils and PAIR valve re-installed  (but blocked off) so now time to move on to the TB sync. I notice that Video Fred Harmon removed the fuel tank and accessed the #2  vacuum plug through the left throttle body hatch. I see no mention of this methodology on the FSM! After extensive flash light aided peering it looks like Fred's way is the only way. Has anyone been able to connect a line to the #2 without removing the fuel tank?

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:13:09 AM »
Yeah but like Rich said, it really helps to have the valve cover off to get to that port without removing the fuel tank. If the valve cover is already back in place you will have to decide if you want to remove it again or pull the tank. Removing the tank is really not hard nor does it take long to do and it is only difficult to handle if it is full or nearly so.

And again, as Rich said, put vacuum tubing on each T. B. port, route them all to the left and be done with it for all time. Cap the lines and either route them to someplace like under the frame support rail or capture the ends in a tie- wrap or similar.

The T.B. synch will be far easier than the valve adjust was do don't worry, you are on the down hill side of the trip.

Brian
I wish :'( see my next topic...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »
Well, technically the throttle body synch. went fine, it is the starting of the bike you are having trouble with.... ;)

Brian

I wish :'( see my next topic...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »
Well, technically the throttle body synch. went fine, it is the starting of the bike you are having trouble with.... ;)

Brian
I haven't started the sync yet!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
Oh my....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
OK, cam chain .................

I did it Fred'd way. And like Fred I had to redo it because access to the screw on the hose clamp was the hardest part. Wait until you have to tighten that hose clamp on the rubber funnel.  :yikes:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:57:33 AM by Shoe »
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
How do we know when the throttlebodies need syncing?  Mine is at 39,000 miles.  Is this one of those deals such as the plugs....book says do it and its a joke?

Mine ran strong in the desert as an ADV bike too.  108 degrees and at speeds of "idling". Maybe mine don't need syncing? This was last week:

It also ran strong at 12,000 feet in the sky.  This was up there a week and a half ago:
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »
Mine has a bit of a rough idle. I have had it die on me a few during low speed manouvers, once causing me to drop the bike. If I didn't have any issues I defintely would not try this.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »
Nice pics. Is that  Independence Pass or Trail Ridge Road?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:33 AM »
I did it Fred'd way. And like Fred I had to redo it because access to the screw on the hose clamp was the hardest part. Wait until you have to tighten that hose clamp on the rubber funnel.  :yikes:
Thanks for the heads ups Joseph!

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
I was able to install the hoses from the left side without removing the tank or the valve cover. I used extra long needlenose pliers from harbor freight

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
Do the vacuum lines need to be identical length and ID?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
Nope, it does not matter.

Brian

Do the vacuum lines need to be identical length and ID?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
Great, thanks.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
This is not going as smoothly as I had hoped  ::)
I hooked up my Motion Pro ProSync syncronization tool to calibrate it, carefully following the instructions. I immediately noticed the adjustment screws would not turn smoothly at all. When I fired up the engine and attemped to calibrate I got these gaps.

After following the instructions for getting rid of the gaps I have many more gaps.

I think this tool is junk. I will see if I can get a better one quickly. Any suggestions? I recall someone else used a Carb Tune.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:05:26 PM by lather »

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
This is not going as smoothly as I had hoped  ::)
I hooked up my Motion Pro ProSync syncronization tool to calibrate it, carefully following the instructions. I immediately noticed the adjustment screws would not turn smoothly at all. When I fired up the engine and attemped to calibrate I got these gaps.

After following the instructions for getting rid of the gaps I have many more gaps.

I think this tool is junk. I will see if I can get a better one quickly. Any suggestions? I recall someone else used a Carb Tune.

Yikes!  :yikes:

I couldn't see the pictures at first, but after switching the backslashes to forward slashes in the URLs, I now see what you're talking about.

Did you try swinging it with the bottom at the outside of the arc?  No idea how to help here, but maybe/possibly/probably couldn't hurt to try.  ???

Their instructions say to "shake like a thermometer", but I think "shake" is the wrong word.  More like flick your wrist...

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
I'll try the swing technique but I am doubtful.
I went ahead and connected a hose to the #2 TB, it was easy. It was harder to get the boot and clamp back on. Tightening the clamp was no problem. Next I played with a mirror and flasglight. I can get a good look at the adjustment screw but need another hand to operate the 90% screwdriver! I will need to get a skinnier flashlight and tape it in place. Looks like these delays might mess up my  end-of-July trip to Colorado. I am not really that bummed because I can't really afford to go anyway.  I have already paid  for IndyGP tickets and I have a feeling that trip will not be cheap.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
They say it's filled with propylene glycol, which should allow the air to slip by with gentle coaxing.  Possibly gentle tapping.  Anything like shaking would make the problem worse.

My guess is it takes a gentle hand to get rid of the air pockets.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250