Author Topic: Best place to live in Oregon  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Best place to live in Oregon
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
Wife and I have been talking for a long time to move some place else. Oregon comes to mind a lot. Any great town or city that is great for living in Oregon, yet do not have to go sell organs to buy a house? Wife and I are by no means rich. And neither of us like to be in debt up to our eyeballs. I can do some google searches (been doing that), but folks from around there can give the best perspective.
Our current job gives us the flexibility of working from anywhere in the country. But if we are close to a town or city with decent employment opportunity, that will be great in case of the inevitable.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Charliedog

Re: Best place to live in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
FWIW I've always found City-Data.com to be the best starting point when looking at other cities.  All the basic statistics, then go on the forum to see what others think about a given city.  Good luck, have fun looking, there are some great roads in the state.  My wife has family in Portland, and we have visited several times.

Charliedog
Bristol, TN
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline okxd45

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
I've heard great things about the Bend area......but not being from Oregon, I can't confirm!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
I have always liked Grants Pass area.  Bend is nice if you like high desert.  The coast is too, too foggy.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
Oregon born and lived for the past 41 years, it's a big state and very different in many area's, so you'll need to be more specific about what you want. Downtown Portland vs the coast vs the mountains vs the desert etc, all very different in every way...

I've always lived in the suburbs on the west side of Portland, it's really nice to be an hour and a half to the coast, hour and a half to skiing on Mt. Hood, and 20 minutes to downtown.

Oh, and make sure you bring a rain coat...  ;)

Offline Gymbo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
The "best place to live" depends on how you define best place.  The further south you go, the less rain you get and will be generally warmer in the summer.

What you do for a living will probably have the biggest bearing where you live in Oregon.   

Bend is nice, but overpriced.

Portland Metro is generally OK....especially on the periphery.  My in-laws live just outside Wilsonville.....feels rural but just 25 minutes to downtown.

Roseburg is a decent place to live....lots of good motorcycle roads within minutes of town.  Warmer than Portland by a few degrees in the summer.