Author Topic: blue ridge parkway  (Read 3441 times)

Offline S.Ga.Rider

blue ridge parkway
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
I posted this in the c14 section a little while back but I am leaving next month from south georgia to the blue ridge parkway. We are going to catch the start of the Shenandoah Valley in Front Royal and ride the parkway way all the way to the end in Cherokee. According to time we may catch the dragon(rode it before). Any suggestions for the parkway? We are going to start it on a Tuesday morning and try to hit cherokee friday.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: blue ridge parkway
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
When you get into Cherokee, you say you are planning to ride the Dragon? If so.......you must get on the Cherohala Skyway, it starts right off of 129 at Robbinsville "you won't regret it"!!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:56:26 PM by Pokey »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
When you get into Cherokee, you say you are planning to ride the Dragon? If so.......you must get on the Cherohala Parkway, it starts right off of 129 at Robbinsville "you won't regret it"!!!!

Yeah, I  personally like the Cherohala Skyway much better than the dragon. The dragon is over rated and would be more fun with a 600 sport bike or such. Although I buzz right along on the dragon. It's a little too much! I prefer the Skyway's little of everything, with great views!

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
Diamondback drops you down 181 and up 226A: not to bad for sport tour rides. Fish Hatchery is technical, but doable. I think that you miss the apple orchard, not a bad price to pay. You have to come down to get gas sometime anyway....

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »
When you get into Cherokee, you say you are planning to ride the Dragon? If so.......you must get on the Cherohala Skyway, it starts right off of 129 at Robbinsville "you won't regret it"!!!!

I dont know if we will make the dragon or not. I prefer the skyway too but the guys I am going with have never been to the dragon so I figure we will stop by the store and get them a tshirt or something.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »
1 last bump. Trip is in a week and a half.

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »
stop at Tuggles Gap, VA and get ya some good pan Fried Chicken and a piece of Tuggles pie.  ;D

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
I posted this in the c14 section a little while back but I am leaving next month from south georgia to the blue ridge parkway. We are going to catch the start of the Shenandoah Valley in Front Royal and ride the parkway way all the way to the end in Cherokee. According to time we may catch the dragon(rode it before). Any suggestions for the parkway? We are going to start it on a Tuesday morning and try to hit cherokee friday.

Little Switzerland is a nice play to stop, there is a small ice cream shop there, we always stop and take a break there.  Watch the double lines,  >:(  and slow traffic, and the 45 mph speed limit.

http://www.littleswitzerlandnc.com/          The ice cream shop is across from the motel

Mabry Mill is a nice photo op:

along with countless over looks.

I have ridden that length in two days, so you should have time to finish it in time to run the dragon and the Cherohala.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
I hope you have a GREAT Trip, would love to be on the BRP, might load up the spdyers with the dear wife and head down.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
Just got back last Friday.  We rode from Cherokee to Front Royal in 2 days also.  Not sure where you are planning to stay but if you find yourself in Maggie Valley, NC, stay at the Meadowlark Motel.  Nice owners (they live there) Charlotte and Herb.  It is right on the river and they have a stone fireplace and wood to build the fire and sit by the river at night.  Even offered to let us put the bikes under the pavillion in the back.

Another little short road starting at Deals Gap motorcycle resort is 28.  I think it is the Moonshine 28.  A majority recently had some fresh pavement laid also.  It runs by Fontana Lake and Damn. 

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips. We are riding up on monday the 11th and are starting at front royal on tuesday morning. I dont know how many days we are going to spend but we have to be in helen ga friday night to meet up with some other people. I dont know where we are staying either. We planned to ride till we got tired and stop to find a room. I will take the suggestions you all gave with me and if we stop in the area stay there.

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
It runs by Fontana Lake and Damn.

Dam sure does.  ;D

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
Another little short road starting at Deals Gap motorcycle resort is 28.  I think it is the Moonshine 28.  A majority recently had some fresh pavement laid also.  It runs by Fontana Lake and Damn.

One of my most favorite stretch of roads if 28 from Hellbender to Stecoah or the other way around. You can get in a rhythm and just haul butt   ;)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 02:22:15 AM »
One of my most favorite stretch of roads if 28 from Hellbender to Stecoah or the other way around. You can get in a rhythm and just haul butt   ;)

Yep.  We stayed at Deals Gap Resort and since it closes early, we rode to a gas station about 20 miles down 28 to get drinks and snacks for the night.  It was dark and it was getting ready to pour so we wanted to get back before it started.  We were hitting 70+ in the dark and some of those curves were pretty sharp.  It almost scared me when we went back through it during the day and i thought about how fast we were going in the dark. But it is fun.

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
If you do find yourself in Maggie Valley N.C. don't miss the Wheels Thru Time museum. I could have spent days there.