Author Topic: five-speed concours?  (Read 43281 times)

Offline julianop

five-speed concours?
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
I was looking at what was described to me as a Kawasaki Concours at my local dealer, but when I test drove it I found it to be only a five-speed. Is this a Concours, or something else?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: five-speed concours?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
Something else. The Concours has six, one down, six up: 1-N-2-3-4-5-6. Can ya post a pix of the bike?
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline julianop

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »
I'll look at it again. It pretty much has to be an Yamaha FJR or something doesn't it? You'd have thought I'd have noticed the emblem on the tank, wouldn't you?
I was looking around for a used tourer all day, as I'm getting back into riding after a couple of decades (OK, three decades) and I had a head full of bikes by that time.
It was certainly a few years old, had analog gauges, two mileage trips (seemed unusual), a four position adjuster on the brake lever, fixed windshield...
It was a growly thing, too, not the smoothness of a Honda (or a Kawi, as I remember).
I'll call the dealer back on Monday and solve the mystery.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline syntor

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
Doesn't Mr Bergman have a growly 5 speed concours........ ;)

Offline julianop

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
Well I've been scouring the Internet for pictures, and I found one of a black 2004:
http://www.bikepics.com/kawasaki/ZG1000/04/pics.asp
The bike I rode looks like that, I remember the air scoops at shin level.
I also remember the silver metal brake lever adjusters like on this 2002:
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/364837/
But were models of that vintage (or before, even) 5-speeds, though?

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
But were models of that vintage (or before, even) 5-speeds, though?

Nope.  They were six speeds from 1986 (first year) to 2006 (final year).   
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:50:42 AM »
Doesn't Mr Bergman have a growly 5 speed concours........ ;)

No I'm pretty sure his "special" Concours still has the 6 speed tranny. He split the cases and swapped the 6 speed ZG gears in place of the 5 speed ZRX gears.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline cmoore

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:03:43 AM »
It's easy to get confused. You looked at lot's of bikes and had lots of info in your head. If you buy a Connie it will have 6 gears.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline julianop

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Well the mystery will have to last at least until tomorrow, but at least three things are true in my memory:
1. The machine I rode was faired just like the 2004 machine in the link I posted above, complete with three top boxes, the helmet locks and luggage tie-down hooks, twin glove boxes and the (apparently reversible) shin level air scoops, and it was equipped with the twin trips and digital mfr-branded clock.
2. I couldn't shift up past a fifth gear - four up-shifts from one-down.
3. I distinctly remember pulling 4000 RPM at 70 MPH, +/- loose change - which was just like the top gear of the ST1300 and F800RT I also rode that day - both of which are 6'ers :-)
Ok, four things...
4. The bike is significantly more growly (is it OK to use that word?!) than the ST1300, that, though not unpleasantly,  is like a two-wheeled sewing machine.

Assuming either there is a rogue gearbox in there, or my memory is broken, or my gear shifting technique needs serious work, I really liked the neat feature of being able to put a hand down by where the fairing meets the fuel tank and get a nice warm stream of air; that'll help when I'm riding late in the northern Midwest fall.

OK, here's what's really going on here...

I'm getting back into cycling after a 36 year hiatus. My first machine, back in the UK, was a Kawasaki 100 that reliably took me through rain and several groins full of hail between Cheltenham (home, at that time) and Gloucester (work), and occasional 90 mile jaunts to London to visit my grandfather. That all came to a screeching halt when I earned my first (and so far only) smidsy when somebody did a Y-turn in front of me. I still bear the scars proudly: under my chin (helmet clasp) and right leg that got squashed between my fuel tank and the cager's left fender.

Years later I now live States-side in Elk River Minnesota, and I work in Rockford Illinois - a 720 mile weekly round trip. I've been doing this for three years, and have been too slow in the head until now to realize that I could have a lot more fun and save a bit of cash by doing this on two weeks for six months out of the year (or more, but I don't want to get too cocky). So here I am looking for a bike to do it on. My dream re-entry machine was always a BMW - either a K1300 or a 1200RT - but I'm not wealthy enough to buy a K, and the oil-head RTs have short and expensive service intervals. I was looking at an ST1300 that was advertised on my dealer's site, but when I went in to test drive it yesterday there was this "alleged" Connie, sitting there in all it's glory, complete with additional front lights (perfect for long highway miles dodging deer and coyotes in the Midwest), additional modulated LED stop lights (in case my previous assailant is still alive, over here, and behind me now!), highway pegs, and after-market heated grips - all at less than 30,000 miles on the clock and for well less green than the ST, which is priced at $7500 - and the dealer put brand new tires on it too. It was hard not to just drive away on it right there.

Can anyone suggest anything else (sacrilege to say "better" in a ZG/GTR forum, I  know!), or should I phone them 1 minute after opening time tomorrow morning and put money down? Is there anything in particular I should ask about/consider/be wary of?

Finally, being a older (55) and hopefully wiser returning rider with an ambitious plan and what seems like a great opportunity for some great (if repetitive) big-slab time, may I submit an open request/invitation for advice and recommendations in support (or otherwise) of my plan?

Thanks all!
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
 :nuts: :grouphug: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
I'm guessing that during the upshift, you somehow by-passed one of the gears....  :o
Can be done, especially if you're;
1: new to the bike
2: re-entering riding, ie; paying more attention to balance, throttle input/control, cycle operation
3: traffic factors

I would think that if there was a malfunctioning gearbox in a Concours( or other brand for that matter), the shifting mechanism would hang-up or there would be weird noises coming from the gearbox during the test ride.

On the other hand, an early model K100LT BMW looks like the clone of the Concours & they DO have 5 speed trannys.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline jklhill

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
Welcome julianop. You said the bike was turning 4,000 at 70 so I think you were in sixth gear at the time. If you are leaning toward this bike I think I would ask to ride it one more time before you put your money down. This time you can focus more on this bike and what you like and don't like about it and then decide if the likes outweigh the dislikes. A lot of people complain about their knees with the stock pegs on the Concours. I'm 59, 6'0" with a 34" inseam and the stock pegs are fine on my 03. A lot of people install bar risers to get a more upright seating position. I've never felt the need to raise the bars. The Concours is a bit top heavy at slow speeds. Not a problem but just something to be aware of. If you spend some time here, you will discover there are lots of frugal mods that can be done to the Concours to make it the bike you want. Kind of fine tuning it to your needs. You will also find a great group of guys and answers to probably any question or problem you may have with the bike.

Offline julianop

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
DeansZG: Oh there's absolutely no way I would confuse a BMW for anything else! No, I'm positive now that this was a Connie; I've looked at enough pictures of Connies over the model lifespan to be absolutely sure now. It sure looks like I missed a gear on the up-shift. Thinking back over the ride experience, I remember on a couple of occasions during my ride being "higher than I thought I was" on the downshift toward intersections, so you may have hit the nail on the head. Being an engineer by trade, I would be inclined to agree with you regarding a seriously malfunctioning box - it would have been obvious through noise or hang-ups.

jklhill: thanks for the welcome/ Yep, based on the numbers from the other bikes I pretty much had to be; a five speed box probably wouldn't have that ratio for top gear, would it? In my research (albeit only over the past twenty four hours) I've not read anybody complain of a tall box on a Connie, and nobody but nobody in any reviews has ever mentioned a five speed box.

Talking of it being a top heavy bike, I actually managed to play around a line of yellow center-line markers in some road construction, and I didn't have any trouble at all weaving among them, so I'm not worried there. I'm 55, 5'9", 168lbs and 32"inseam, and I could flat-foot the bike with no effort.
No, the only issue that bothered me in the slightest was the roughness at low RPM. Even the vibration I noticed at cruise speed, while not ignorable, was not unpleasant, and didn't give me numb hands - and I did the test ride without gloves.
I don't remember if the primary pegs were in stock position - I think so - but the highway pegs were a nice alternative, even if I had to turn my feet in to get my shins around the deflectors. I don't think I would need to raise the bars. I only did a forty mile ride, but it felt comfortable. Finally, though I've heard a lot about windshields lately - especially having had the BMW F800ST on my list of candidates - I don't think there could be anything much better that the (looks flat enough to be stock) windshield on this Connie.

Another small mystery:
The previous owner put two three way switches on this machine: one just below and to the left of the gauges, and one on the rear-facing vertical panel of the left fairing just by my knee. The upper one turned out to be for the heated grips; it would be totally wonderful if the lower one turns out to be for a heated seat! I did notice that when either of the switches were out of the center position the voltage - as displayed on what looks like an aftermarket digital voltmeter - started to fall below 14 when running, indicating a significant electrical load. I'll investigate that when I do as you suggest - ride it again before I drop money on it. It would be absolutely ideal if the machine were fully kitted out for serious cold weather touring.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline jklhill

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
The roughness at low RPM is kind of normal for a stock jetted Concours. If the bike has sat at all or the carbs are dirty at all it just magnifies the problem. Removing and cleaning the carbs will help and SISF (Steve in Sunny Florida) has a jet kit that will absolutely take care of the problem. If your not up to the work you can ship him your carbs. Do your research here and here http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
The previous owner put two three way switches on this machine: one just below and to the left of the gauges, and one on the rear-facing vertical panel of the left fairing just by my knee. The upper one turned out to be for the heated grips; it would be totally wonderful if the lower one turns out to be for a heated seat! I did notice that when either of the switches were out of the center position the voltage - as displayed on what looks like an aftermarket digital voltmeter - started to fall below 14 when running, indicating a significant electrical load. I'll investigate that when I do as you suggest - ride it again before I drop money on it. It would be absolutely ideal if the machine were fully kitted out for serious cold weather touring.

No that would be an indication of a normal charging system as the upper limit according to the factory service manual is 14 volts; the charging system should settle down around 12.5 to 13.5 volts all depending on specifics such as voltage regulators and more importantly meter accuracy.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline ITeach2Wheels

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
Hey,

Good luck with the Connie, I absolutely love mine!! 

I do have one question though.  Have you considered taking a MSF style safety class as a refresher?  In my experience you would definitely benefit from a brush up of your skills after a long break.  If you can supply an Illinois address the class is FREE!!  There is even a range in Rockford although I don't work there.

Please consider it before riding a big bike like a Concours on such a long commute.

Just my $.02, feel free to ignore me... :-)

Also shoot me a pm if you want more info...

Offline julianop

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
T-Cro -  Sorry, I wasn't meaning to opine that there was anything wrong - just commenting on the fact that there was a visible change as a function of load, which is normal for higher wattage loads (yes, I'm an electrical guy by trade).

jklhill - glad to hear that's normal. I certainly remember enough normally aspirated old British bikes with fussy carbs and cantankerous ignition systems; I had just thought that lumpiness was ancient history by now. If I buy this Connie, then based on his reputation I'll talk to "SISF" about doing something for me over the "zero traction  months"...

ITeach2Wheels - Hell no, I wouldn't be on this forum if I was of the ilk to ignore good advice! Yes I have thought long and hard about a refresher, and I agree with you that it would be beneficial (see earlier comment about older and hopefully wiser!) and I still will do so even if I go straight to a road test. My immediate goal is to get back on two wheels to handle the commute before the end of the season, and given that my weekly commute, though long, is relatively benign and familiar, I'm comfortable that I have sufficient sense to be able to handle it safely. I've read Hough's first book cover to cover, and I will definitely do a refresher (or even an advanced course) before I do any touring. I've been in this wonderful country for nearly twenty nine years and haven't seen a hundredth of what I want to see (you all know the rest of this song, don't you?!). I do know enough to know that there is a lot to learn before I take on unfamiliar conditions. There'd be no point in killing myself before I even started fulfilling my dream.

You say refresher courses are free in Illinois???? I will have a Minnesota license, though (as my automobile license is MN), so I'm not sure I will qualify. But you did say "supply an Illinois address" didn't you...

I will PM you on this as soon as I find out how to; thanks for the offer.

Thank you all for your wisdom...
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline julianop

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Quick questions to help me/test your collective Concours trivia knowledge ...
1. Did Kawasaki do the one-color-per-year thing like Honda? In other words, the Connie I'm looking at is deep blue; does that define its vintage?
2. Related to that, I see pics for the 2006 model being blue. but the discussions talk about a choke. There was definitely no choke on the machine I rode. What does that tell me?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
1. Did Kawasaki do the one-color-per-year thing like Honda? In other words, the Connie I'm looking at is deep blue; does that define its vintage?
2. Related to that, I see pics for the 2006 model being blue. but the discussions talk about a choke. There was definitely no choke on the machine I rode. What does that tell me?

1: Yes Big-K did one color per year except for the fact that overseas models including the Canada models were in all likelihood a different color.

2: More than like you missed what is called the "Choke" it is called a choke in the manuals but it is a fuel enrichment lever that is parked just inboard of the left side handle-bar controls.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »

BTW "testing" our collective Concours trivia knowledge is going to be a big FAIL on your part...... Many of us here have either owned one since inception or have admired one since the same.  8)

Also I have the Service Manual and 2003 Parts Micro Fiche on my pocket drive with me 24/7 so fire at will......
Tony P. Crochet