Author Topic: Pros & Cons on 5w30 oil  (Read 25645 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Pros & Cons on 5w30 oil
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
OK....just wondering how the masses feel about this engine oil weight.
Not that i have used it, yet, but I found a very nice semi-synthetic high mileage blend at the local autozone. Hey Baby is 11 yrs in and has a little over 83k on her. I have screened the last 5 oil changes and have not found anything at all as far as shavings or debris.
Those oil changes cover almost the last 20k miles. I know Mama Kaw doesn't recommend it, any ideas on this considering the age ang state of my motor. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Stay cool this weekend, and ride safe.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Pros & Cons on 5w30 oil
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »
I would strongly suspect that that oil is "energy conserving", or something to that effect. This means it has friction modifiers. The friction modifiers will ruin your clutch. Use 10w40 as the minimum for viscosity.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
I always try and find 15/40 when I can but I run 10/40 as a minimum rule. I ran 20/50 Castrol GTX for years with zero issues before switching to the Purple stuff.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
Well, if you arent having issues, why use a high mileage oil?
I wouldnt in a motorcycle just for the simple fact it has other additives in it that could affect the wet clutch, besides being energy conserving.

The older an engine gets, its usually advised to run a thicker oil for consumption issues...but if yours aint usin it, run what the factory recommends. 
Or, if you must use 5w30, make sure its not energy conserving, and stick to regular oil, not high mileage or synthetic (every synthetic Ive ever seen in 5w30 is EC).

I personally like either Shell Rotella T or Mobil 1 TDT oil in 5W40. 
I used to use Mobil 1 10W40 4T but two quarts of it cost as much as 4 of the others, and it doesnt have any significant attributes to be worth the cost to me. 
Say what?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
I'd only run 10--30 in winter in the north, otherwise, I'd run at least 40 as recommended.  Make sure the 10-30 isn't starburst rated as energy conserving.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
Shell Rotella T all the way Bay-beeee! 
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
5w  is  too thin for the gears in the transmission.
You need to have   'shear additives' for the transmission.
You need high  zinc content for the cams.
You cannot 'look' at your oil and say  'it is  good'. You have to send it out to be analyzed (Blackstone)
 If you can actually see metal specs its too late. Damage is already  being done.
You do not want friction modifiers or you will ruin your clutch.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
Shell Rotella T all the way Bay-beeee!
+1  Shell Rotella T6 5W40.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »
I'd only run 10--30 in winter in the north....

Why would you do that? You gain absolutely nothing and in fact lose the viscosity modifiers that help hold your oil to a higher weight when hot. Your 10W30 starts as a 10 weight and has viscosity modifiers added to make the oil "think" or behave as though it were a 30 weight oil when hot whereas a 10W40 starts as the same 10 weight oil and has more viscosity modifiers added than the 30 weight oil does so that this oil "thinks" or behaves as a 40 weight oil when hot. Please keep in mind that is is these viscosity modifiers that we need extra of in our oils as the meshing of the gears in our transmissions is what "chops" up the viscosity modifiers breaks down the oil and makes the bike shift poorly. Viscosity Modifiers are like long curly strands in our oil that when cold are pulled up nice and tight to keep the oil thin enough to flow when cold but yet uncoil and expand when hot and this is what keeps the oil from being as thin as water when hot.

Stick to what the factory calls for..... Myself I run a Mobil One 15W50 year round and yes I live in MI.... Better living through modern chemistry!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 05:47:46 AM »
OK....just wondering how the masses feel about this engine oil weight.
Not that i have used it, yet, but I found a very nice semi-synthetic high mileage blend at the local autozone. Hey Baby is 11 yrs in and has a little over 83k on her. I have screened the last 5 oil changes and have not found anything at all as far as shavings or debris.
Those oil changes cover almost the last 20k miles. I know Mama Kaw doesn't recommend it, any ideas on this considering the age ang state of my motor. Inquiring minds would like to know.
Stay cool this weekend, and ride safe.
Greg

5W30 is too thin of an oil for an aging motor that was designed to be run on 10W40 or thicker; you will lose some oil pressure by going to a thinner weight of oil and please bear in mind that all your crankshaft is riding on is a microscopically thick hydraulic wedge of oil when the engine is at speed. Thus when you lose overall oil pressure you are running a higher risk of loss of wedge and making metal to metal contact while at speed. The Babbitt or thin bearing layer on our plain bearing is only there for start up and with oils having less and less zinc content today you have even less between you and metal to metal contact.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
I don't know about which particular oil to use. I have used both Rotella T6 and Mobil 1. I care not a whit about energy conserving. Back when I got my Nighthawk I was concerned about it, but between that bike and the Connie I have found that it has had no effect on the clutch. Maybe If I were drag racing it might be an issue but thus far I have had no slippage. I am currently running Mobil 1.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
Thanks all for the input. I only read the bottle and was wondering if it could be an alternitive oil.
I was concerned with the 5 weight being just to thin for the gears.
I think I will stick to my Rotella T 10w40, it hasn't failed me yet.
Thanks again, and please ride safe all.
Greg    8)
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
Why would you do that? You gain absolutely nothing and in fact lose the viscosity modifiers that help hold your oil to a higher weight when hot. Your 10W30 starts as a 10 weight and has viscosity modifiers added to make the oil "think" or behave as though it were a 30 weight oil when hot whereas a 10W40 starts as the same 10 weight oil and has more viscosity modifiers added than the 30 weight oil does so that this oil "thinks" or behaves as a 40 weight oil when hot. Please keep in mind that is is these viscosity modifiers that we need extra of in our oils as the meshing of the gears in our transmissions is what "chops" up the viscosity modifiers breaks down the oil and makes the bike shift poorly. Viscosity Modifiers are like long curly strands in our oil that when cold are pulled up nice and tight to keep the oil thin enough to flow when cold but yet uncoil and expand when hot and this is what keeps the oil from being as thin as water when hot.

Stick to what the factory calls for..... Myself I run a Mobil One 15W50 year round and yes I live in MI.... Better living through modern chemistry!

I agree.  Thanks for clarifying that.  I don't run 30, I was just saying if you must, but I agree on the W designation and what it means.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline timsen84

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
Mobil 15W 50? The text on bottle now states uses zinc to conserve energy. Thought zinc modifiers were bad for bikes?
The API ROUNDEL does NOT say "Energy Conserving".
Use Mobil 1 10W 40 4T MotorCycle.
Up til now considered 15W 50 a good alternative?!

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
Mobil 15W 50? The text on bottle now states uses zinc to conserve energy. Thought zinc modifiers were bad for bikes?

Does it actually say "Energy Conserving" on the starburst label?  Id bet not...
Say what?

Offline timsen84

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
Hey Ziggy STARBURST!!

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »

Zinc is the good stuff that has been largely reduced or eliminated in car oils.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
From Mobil:

Question:
What's the Zinc Level Mobil 1 15W-50?
Hello, I read your answer about ZDDP and phosphorus levels. You even list the phosphorus level in your table, but you show no listing for the level of zinc. Other oil companies also list their zinc level. I would like to know the zinc content in your 15W-50 oil. I would like the level for the gold cap and the silver cap separately. I drive a car that is over 20 years old and the answer is important to me. Thank you, Jerry
-- Jerry Baer, Hollywood, FL

Answer:
The important element here is the phosphorus since it is the active antiwear additive.  That's why we show phosphorus as well as zinc.  The zinc content is in the range of 0.12 - 0.13 weight percent (1200 - 1300 ppm). (Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 [gold cap] was discontinued about May 2009.)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
Interesting..............

I found this on a diesel truck site, so they sound about the same.

" I e-mailed Shell and asked what the levels of zinc and phosphorus are for the 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection. The answer:

"Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oil SAE 15W-40 with Triple Protection Technology, our API CJ-4/SM specification product, typically contains about 1200 ppm zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorous as manufactured."

Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

Not quite; you have your info mixed up... Zinc/Phosphorous Extreme Pressure Additive or ZDDP is a last resort protection against metal-to-metal contact but is not friendly with Catalytic Converters so it is been all but removed from most oils. Oil with higher levels of this compound are GOOD....

Energy Conserving oils have Friction Modifiers can/may be bad for your clutch plates. These are BAD....

Viscoisity Improver's are long chain polymers that look like a corkscrew under the microscope and are used to build your oil up to its higher weight; again these are GOOD....
Tony P. Crochet