Author Topic: Here's the plan-ride 5k miles to remote Canada on the wrong bike.  (Read 1645 times)

Offline gregman_1

So I've been researching and planning this trip for almost two years now (at the time I started, I was living in New Jersey and had an XR650 supermoto).

From Atlanta, up to Norfolk, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, across the Delmarva peninsula, ferry to Jersey, through Jersey, NYC, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, across the border into New Brunswick, to Nova Scotia, ferry to Newfoundland, across NL, ferry to Blanc Sablon in the corner of Quebec, then the Trans Labrador Highway to Goose Bay, then on to Labrador City, down into Quebec City, through Montreal, back down through NY State, Jersey, PA, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and back home to Georgia.

I hope you followed that.  In case you weren't counting, that's 14 US states, 4 Canadian territories, 5,000 miles, all in 14 days.

I should probably mention that almost 1,000 of those miles will be on gravel.

This is currently being planned for next Fall at the very earliest.  There are a couple guys and a gal from a local forum who should be joining me (on more suitable motorcycles, like two F650GS's and a Wee Strom).  The more, the merrier so I figured I'd check and see if anyone here was as crazy as I am to take a ZG1000 to the remote wilderness of Canada.

Here's the basic route:

http://g.co/maps/xd6xc

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211591119584877725552.0004b459a7958a5f4c432&ll=48.516604,-58.535156&spn=19.190719,27.586633&t=m&vpsrc=1&output=embed

Yes, i have been and will continue to practice dirt riding and camping using the forestry service roads in the Chattahoochee National Forest to prep myself and the bike for the trip.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Here's the plan-ride 5k miles to remote Canada on the wrong bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
That's an average of 357 miles per day. Not hard to do on a Gold Wing or a Concours but on the bikes and roads your talking about, good luck. I have been on several multi week trips on my Wing,  and a couple on my Concours and after a week it gets a little harder each day. Good Luck I hope you complete it. My longest motorcycle trip was 4 weeks, went fron So Cal to Portland Maine, down the east coast and then back home.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline koval68

Re: Here's the plan-ride 5k miles to remote Canada on the wrong bike.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
So I've been researching and planning this trip for almost two years now (at the time I started, I was living in New Jersey and had an XR650 supermoto).

From Atlanta, up to Norfolk, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, across the Delmarva peninsula, ferry to Jersey, through Jersey, NYC, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, across the border into New Brunswick, to Nova Scotia, ferry to Newfoundland, across NL, ferry to Blanc Sablon in the corner of Quebec, then the Trans Labrador Highway to Goose Bay, then on to Labrador City, down into Quebec City, through Montreal, back down through NY State, Jersey, PA, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and back home to Georgia.

I hope you followed that.  In case you weren't counting, that's 14 US states, 4 Canadian territories, 5,000 miles, all in 14 days.

I should probably mention that almost 1,000 of those miles will be on gravel.

This is currently being planned for next Fall at the very earliest.  There are a couple guys and a gal from a local forum who should be joining me (on more suitable motorcycles, like two F650GS's and a Wee Strom).  The more, the merrier so I figured I'd check and see if anyone here was as crazy as I am to take a ZG1000 to the remote wilderness of Canada.

Here's the basic route:

http://g.co/maps/xd6xc

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211591119584877725552.0004b459a7958a5f4c432&ll=48.516604,-58.535156&spn=19.190719,27.586633&t=m&vpsrc=1&output=embed

Yes, i have been and will continue to practice dirt riding and camping using the forestry service roads in the Chattahoochee National Forest to prep myself and the bike for the trip.

You need to research local weather for Newfoundland And Labrador. Personally, I wouldn't travel to Goose Bay in the Fall, but in May instead!
The days are very long during May, June, July. So if you want to cover a lot of distance and yet not miss seeing any of the road, those would be good months to travel up in this region (June 21 is the longest day of the year). By early September the days are noticeably shorter.
Snow can happen in mid-September.
Black Flies can be a major factor in your visit to this region. Black flies are most plentiful first thing in the spring, right after the snow melts. There's usually a few days to a week or two before they really get going in the spring. They will be most plentiful in June and July. You may or may not see a lot of them in May -- it depends on the weather, how warm it is, etc. They gradually decline in numbers throughout the summer. Sometimes they are mostly gone by August, but sometimes they last into September. It all depends on the weather conditions.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi