Author Topic: Javascript-UPDATE-FIXED  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Strawboss

Javascript-UPDATE-FIXED
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
I just got a new pc and I'm having trouble, first it was logging onto my hotmail account, I can't, now when I'm trying to download a printer driver it says "javascript error (0). Do I need to enable it? How?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:56:47 AM by Strawboss »
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Strawboss

Re: Computer question-Javascript
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
I found it enabled, but it still won't work. I'll call Acer and see whats up. They also mentioned Symantic anti virus could be slowing it. It goes to the site, it just won't appear on the screen. My firewall is set at medium-high as recommended. Also, the tab up in the tool bar stays green as opposed to blue with other sites that appear.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »
Try updating your Java.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
Its a brand new computer.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Just because the hardware is brand new doesn't mean that the latest software/drivers are installed on it.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
I used another pc and downloaded onto a flash drive so I know its not the anti virus as its the same thing loaded into both so its got to be something thats not enabled on the new one. Kinda dumb to have to do that.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
Not likley, more like the 2 PCs have different setups,  Did you try using compatibility mode in IE on your new system?  I'm guessing it has IE9 on it.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
Uh, you lost me at capabilty. Total computer illiterate here. Obviously somethings not enabled, will look around some more. I've got Norton 360 installed, I'm so f***ing lost as to what the hell this stuff does that I haven't a clue as to what to do even when its explained in simple detail,
I have to write it all down, and then they use terms that are unknown to me that it gets frustrating to the point where I just give up and check my e-mail at work.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
OK, I have 2 yahoo addresses, one I can access and one states I need to enable java scripting on my browser. I've gone through the security section of the internet tools section and made sure the java scriplet is enabled, but theres a few others towards the top that are disabled that I have no clue as to what they are. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
solution to all your pains here   www.apple.com

open box, power up and use 'puter, enjoy life  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
OK, I was going to include a caveat to stow the "get a better computer" comments from the peanut gallery but now I guess it was in fact needed. Jeez, thanks for the help.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
I'm grasping at straws here (get it?)  ;) (sorry) but look at the top of your browser window. Mouse over the area just to the right of the URL address area. One of those icons up yonder will be the Compatibility View button. Click that sucker and see if it helps. It can't hurt, you can always click it again to go back to the way it was.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
OK, are you talking about the top of the screen? Anyway, when I attempt the hotmail sign in page, the tab remains green with a yellow icon of a padlock. When I mouse over the tab, everything goes bold type, when I move it back, only "live.com' remains bold. Right clicking reveals a selection of options "open IME", unicode, etc...Looking at this site, I see what you are talking about concerning the compatability, its not there on the hotmail site, the tab is green as opposed to blue then white when moused when any other site appears.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Try this:

Enable JavaScript in your browser.  If you're using IE:
http://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml
Browsers for Windows
Internet Explorer
    Browsers for Windows
    Internet Explorer
    Click Tools and then Internet Options
    Select the Security tab, and select the Custom Level button
    Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets
    Make sure the Enable radio button is checked
    Click OK to save your preference

If you're not using IE, Google "enable javascript in (whateverbrowseri'musing)"

Also try disabling pop-up blockers just in case (I would leave this enabled if possible).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-Pop-up-Blocker-frequently-asked-questions

If neither of those work, take a look at your add/remove programs list.  Start --> Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program OR Programs and Features (depending on which view of the control panel you have set).  Look for Symantec, McAfee or Kaspersky.   New computers come with a disgusting amount of unnecessary and performance-decreasing software, most of which needs to be removed.  It's possible one of the helpful firewalls or malware-prevention softwares are stopping javascript from running.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
Try this:

Enable JavaScript in your browser.  If you're using IE:
http://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml
Browsers for Windows
Internet Explorer
    Browsers for Windows
    Internet Explorer
    Click Tools and then Internet Options
    Select the Security tab, and select the Custom Level button
    Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets
    Make sure the Enable radio button is checked
    Click OK to save your preference

If you're not using IE, https://www.google.com/"enable javascript in (whateverbrowseri'musing)"

Also try disabling pop-up blockers just in case (I would leave this enabled if possible).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-Pop-up-Blocker-frequently-asked-questions

If neither of those work, take a look at your add/remove programs list.  Start --> Control Panel --> Uninstall a Program OR Programs and Features (depending on which view of the control panel you have set).  Look for Symantec, McAfee or Kaspersky.  New computers comes with a disgusting amount of unnecessary and performance-decreasing software, most of which needs to be removed.  It's possible one of the helpful firewalls or malware-prevention softwares are stopping javascript from running.

Correction would be "New WINDOWS computers comes with a disgusting amount of unnecessary and performance-decreasing software"

I used to be the biggest Mac hater on earth, until I atched a guy get one out of the box and fire it up.  And since buying one I'll never go back to all that brutal hell.  There's a reason microsoft and dell's stock are among the worse performing in the tech sector....

just another useless comment from the peanut gallery  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
Correction would be "New WINDOWS computers comes with a disgusting amount of unnecessary and performance-decreasing software"

I used to be the biggest Mac hater on earth, until I atched a guy get one out of the box and fire it up.  And since buying one I'll never go back to all that brutal hell.  There's a reason microsoft and dell's stock are among the worse performing in the tech sector....

I'm sure that if you bought the man a new Mac, I'll bet that he'd be happy to use it and say thankya.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »

Good point!  I'm not an Apple fan boy, but they're perfect for most folks.  I'm a Linux guy myself, but I'd buy a Macbook in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
+1 on Apple...

... is this a new Winblows 8 box?
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:50:45 AM »
If Strawboss could handle it, I'd suggest loading Firefox or Chrome.  But that might be adding a layer of complexity he'd rather not deal with.

I don't mind Windows, but I never leave all the bloatware on a new system.  At the very least, I go thru and clean it out, and at most I reload with a clean OS - currently Win7 Pro.  But I like my Linux too; dual boot my laptop and have a couple dedicated systems and my server.

I have a copy of Win8 Pro sitting on my desk waiting for me to be brave enough to try, but I haven't heard anything good about it yet, and I still have work to do on the bike so it sits.

I just recently got rid of an iPhone.  My biggest foray into Apple territory since the orginal Mac.  Got tired of the couple issues and the circuitous rout I'd have to take to fix it due to the self imposed limitations Apple puts on it.  Couple that with the 2-3 times price for hardware, and it's a no go for me.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
This is a windows 7 unit, brand new last week. I loaded norton 360 and it removed or disabled all unnecessary conflicting anti-virus programs, I also went in and made sure all java scripting was enabled, but I guess theres a secret enabler I missed cause now I can't access one of my yahoo accounts. Now this morning I tried to use a flash drive and it won't work, it comes up error, file execution failed. I give up. I have a 12 F***ing year old laptop with NO NOTHING on it except windows updates, I have been running that thing for 12 years and no problems. Now, I can't load or use my new printer, I can't access my hotmail, I can't use my flash drives, which, BTW, I can all do on the old junker. I'm going to Geek Squad at Best Buys down the street because they are just down the street, handing it to them and saying fix this F***er and if they can't, I'm dumping it and buying something else. Steve, I'll e-mail my address to you so you can get my new pc to me quick since your buying me one. Thanks all to the rest of you for trying to help.