Author Topic: New 2014 Concours  (Read 6013 times)

Conair

New 2014 Concours
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:27:03 PM »
Hi,my names Eric new here,not new to Kawasaki. Had the big 2010'' 103'' Kaw, Then switched to a 2009 ultra classic. I'm picking up my new 2014 Red Concours tommorow, any first time advice? I know! Hang on right!! Never had ABS or Track control, I'm sure I'll take my time,hope!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New 2014 Concours
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
One of the things you need to know is how top heavy these bikes are.
When standing still or moving at less than 5 mph it is very easy to tip it over.
Once it tips more than 10°-15° it will tip over unless you are a Superman.

The rear brake will make the front end dive if pressed like normal.

And Welcome.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:44:26 AM »
One of the things you need to know is how top heavy these bikes are.
When standing still or moving at less than 5 mph it is very easy to tip it over.
Once it tips more than 10°-15° it will tip over unless you are a Superman.

The rear brake will make the front end dive if pressed like normal.

And Welcome.

Welcome!

To add to what was said above. Keep your hand off the front brake at parking lot speeds!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
It's a wonderful bike.  Been enjoying mine since Aug of 2007.  Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
Welcome! Kinda new here myself and have picked up a buncha great info on this very nice bike -- biggest one I've ever owned.

If your legs are shorter than say 32 inches, you're going to be doing some tippy-toe stuff. With a top-heavy bike like the Connie, that can be a little tricky. My second farkle was a custom seat, which lowered the seat-to-ground height by about an inch and made it a little more tolerable.

Good luck!
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Conair.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Conair

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Conair.
Thanks for all the info,bike not a problem,when you tour on a fully loaded ultra classic,full tank,all 3 bags full,and wife we were around 1000lbs or more. I put 100mls on it today and found it to be very easy to maneuver. Im almost flat footed on it both heels about 1'' off ground. never had abs but found no problems with it on low setting,tires seem fine as well. Bike is a good fit. what i'll really miss is cruise control.At night head lights are incredible,no need for lower lights on forks,amazing clarity.ill get the foam handle covers dont like the stock .Bike bandit has them for 12.00$. foot pegs pretty small,when your use to floor boards. probably be trying mid grade gas,used it in the harley for 30.000 miles,used it in all my bikes never had any issues,dealer said should have no problem with mid grade as well.will see. Over all thoughts great bike, looks like many miles of enjoyment,seat not perfect but not bad. And the real shocker is when I first raised the screen at about 50mph,OMG what a difference air deflected all around and over me,better than the Ultra. so far very happy !   :)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »
Thanks for all the info,bike not a problem,when you tour on a fully loaded ultra classic,full tank,all 3 bags full,and wife we were around 1000lbs or more. I put 100mls on it today and found it to be very easy to maneuver. Im almost flat footed on it both heels about 1'' off ground. never had abs but found no problems with it on low setting,tires seem fine as well. Bike is a good fit. what i'll really miss is cruise control.At night head lights are incredible,no need for lower lights on forks,amazing clarity.ill get the foam handle covers dont like the stock .Bike bandit has them for 12.00$. foot pegs pretty small,when your use to floor boards. probably be trying mid grade gas,used it in the harley for 30.000 miles,used it in all my bikes never had any issues,dealer said should have no problem with mid grade as well.will see. Over all thoughts great bike, looks like many miles of enjoyment,seat not perfect but not bad. And the real shocker is when I first raised the screen at about 50mph,OMG what a difference air deflected all around and over me,better than the Ultra. so far very happy !   :)
Hi,my names Eric new here,not new to Kawasaki. Had the big 2010'' 103'' Kaw, Then switched to a 2009 ultra classic. I'm picking up my new 2014 Red Concours tommorow, any first time advice? I know! Hang on right!! Never had ABS or Track control, I'm sure I'll take my time,hope!!

Welcome Mr. Conair to the Connie club. The best advice I can relay to new owners is get rid of the Crapstone 021 tires before you do any serious riding. After about 3-4,000 miles they get downright dangerous unless you ride like Mary Jane Tinklepants. Do yourself and the bike a favor and get a pair of PR4's.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Welcome Mr. Conair to the Connie club. The best advice I can relay to new owners is get rid of the Crapstone 021 tires before you do any serious riding. After about 3-4,000 miles they get downright dangerous unless you ride like Mary Jane Tinklepants. Do yourself and the bike a favor and get a pair of PR4's.

Concur on the Bridgestone Battleax "Crapstone" tires. I've noticed, even when these tires were new, a tendency to wash out on mildly moist (easy boys!) asphalt. It hasn't happened to me, but I have zero confidence in those tires.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Conair

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
what are pr4s? I know you guys know , the numbers but i'd like to know some brand names please. Also If the manufacturer puts these tires on the bike you would think there test proved these to be the best to use on the bike! Just saying!! My kaw dealer recommended 42 lbs front and rear is this correct preasure for the stones? :-\

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 05:00:14 PM »
what are pr4s? I know you guys know , the numbers but i'd like to know some brand names please. Also If the manufacturer puts these tires on the bike you would think there test proved these to be the best to use on the bike! Just saying!! My kaw dealer recommended 42 lbs front and rear is this correct preasure for the stones? :-\
Michelin Pilot Road 4

I found the oem Bridgestone rear adequate. The front is not the right tire for this bike. This is a heavy bike and it pushes hard on the front tire.

I run 42 front and rear. Using Pirelli Angels right now.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
Also If the manufacturer puts these tires on the bike you would think there test proved these to be the best to use on the bike! Just saying!!

Really?  I laugh in Kwackers general direction at that statement.  They actually changed the tire from the original BT to another 'improved' version...still is  :censored: t.  A car tire would be better.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
 :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
Not really...

Offline Glider09

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »
Hi Conair
I recently have come from an 09 Road Glide, loved it, 106 S&S etc, etc, although I have not rode my new to me 2012 C14, I have ridden a top heavy K1200LT and have a semblance of what the contributors are saying about parking lot stability, vs the my Road Glide and heartily concur. if they say top heavy, do not equate this to a Harley.  I never had a problem with a well laden Road Glide, the centre of gravity is so seductively low.
I will not be on my Connie until April at the earliest.  I previously had an 03 ST1300 ABS and a 96 ZX11, so familiar with the sport touring side of things.
However, age creep at 63, makes me forget the smaller footpegs, the bent knees, the sport position etc.  The Road Glide was a great tourer, (wife may not let me get rid of it) but I was ready ready for a change,  I am trying a beaded seat first before I change it out (had an Ultimate seat on my RG, a Richs Seat on my ST, Corbn on my ZX), my bike has a Cee Bailey windshield, Throttemeister and 2" risers, nice start, but I think I will add a Cee Bailey headlight guard, Murphs lower pegs, it has a 39 liter top case already.  I will also add Steve's ECU flash in the "spring", I live in Calgary, so snow and gravel are still abundant.
It has just 10,000 km, (6,200miles) so the Bridgestones are ready to come off.
After experience with the Metzler Z6 front and Me880 rear on my ST, ( I tour mostly, twisty stuff and flat slab) and will consider a front PR4 and a Michelin Commander 11 200/55/17 rear as a capable tour and twisty road combo.  The mileage on the two tires should line up niceley so that I am replacing both tires at the same time.  Expecting 18,000 km, (11-12,000 miles) I do not think I lose anything in the corners, with the rear, which means at 63, my angels fly with me (not a peg scraper).
I plan a weekend trip, our Canadian May long to Orofino, ID with the Edmonton BMW club, Lolo Pass etc, my friend rides a K16GT (sweet, if you can afford it), then a tour to Northern Cali, Oregon Coast etc, June 25-Juy 9.
For 2017, most likely a road trip to Dawson, Fairbanks AL, etc, and the necessary farkles for a trip like this
I am expecting comfort, a rush, a reliable mount
cheers
Glider
2012 Concours 14, Candy Arabian Red
2009 Road Glide, Black
2003 ST1300
1996 ZX11