Author Topic: A year in review-2013  (Read 1630 times)

Son of Pappy

A year in review-2013
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
So, 2013 started off with some sand, as in dunes on the Oregon coast, what a different type of riding that one was.
Desert 100 in Odessa, WA, ADV Camp as a student to finalize becoming an instructor for Puget Sound Safety Off Road (PSSOR), then onto my first class as an instructor.
Gifford Pinchot for some riding in the snow, epic ride as this was in May.
Pikes Peak on the GS followed with some tasty bits of road from Colorado Springs down to the Four Corners.
Colorado Back Country Discovery Route (COBDR), 700ish miles of gravel roads, sleeping at 11,000' elevation.  Finished up and onto Boise for a seminar at Big Twins BMW in Boise, ID and onto home (Port Orchard, WA)
A couple Advanced Street Skills classes at The Ridge track in Shelton, WA.
Rally In The Gorge, Stevenson, WA.  Dual Sport and street riding, spent one morning at Mar Hill Loops doing a riding clinic with Lee Parks, then found my hooligan riding the roads with Lee, no traffic to speak of and some epic twisties.  Also shared some stage time with Lee Parks, Tom Mehren, Coach Ramey Stroud, and David Hough.
Touratech Rally in sweltering heat in Plain, WA.  Taught a DS class and road some awesome trails and a bit of single track on the GS.
Hoh Rainforest Rally with AltRider, got to spend some time on the trail with Neal Bailey, great guy who is a genuine as they come.
Touratech WABDR Week doing bits of the WABDR, even got to wear a chef jacket as I was helping out the folks who did the catering. 
Onto Kentucky as an instructor for a Military Mentor Training program (MMT), rode a Harley for the first time in my life, yuck.  Roads were great.  I missed a big ride at the 24 Hours of Starvation Ridge.
Many trips to ride single track on the KTM450EXC.
Low mileage year, between the C14 and F800GS I only managed 14,000ish miles, but what good miles they were.  No idea how many miles I put on the EXC, but a few for sure.

What does 2014 hold?  If I am lucky more of the same, starting off with a ride to Wickenburg as part of a fundraiser for the BDR program and then the trip home I will do bits of the AZBDR, then the Desert 100, a trip to FL and FT Bragg for a couple MMTs, more rallys, and who knows what else.

Happy Old Year :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: A year in review-2013
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
^^^^^Nice!

If you're hitting FL look us up, I plan to be around during the winter months and we have this coming up:  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,46684.msg307274.html#msg307274
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
FL (Eglin AFB) is looking like 15-22 Feb.  Still waiting on confirmation.  Got a bike I can borrow?  I really don't want to ride a HD again!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
FL (Eglin AFB) is looking like 15-22 Feb.  Still waiting on confirmation.  Got a bike I can borrow?  I really don't want to ride a HD again!!

I'm 6-8 hours from up there... I may be able to make a C14 trip up and shake your hand, and you can ride mine all you like!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine