Author Topic: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too) - AGAIN  (Read 8532 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too) - AGAIN
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »
What did the dealer say was broken and did you get the old parts?

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »
What did the dealer say was broken and did you get the old parts?

The diagnosis was for a new clutch assy and speed sensor. I believe the parts were indeed replaced, as the bike operated normally for 10 miles.They did not diagnose the problem, only a symptom.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
It's on the shop, if they told you they would fix it.  Unless you only OKed part of the repair.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too)
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
Now THIS is a Haroldo story!   Sorry, I just could not resist.... :-)

Remember back when I said something was suspect that the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), located on the output bevel gear, failed at the same time as the clutch? Color me suspicious some more.

The VSS should read anytime the bike is moving, blown up clutch or not, engine in the chassis or not.

Couple the two problems at one time and I begin to suspect something else entirely, such as a bad bevel gearset.

No matter what it is, clearly this issue is going to need more fixin'. I just hope for your sake that the dealer will fix the problem now regardless of what it really turns out to be for the money already charged. It they claim that there are 'other things wrong', the bill could get significantly higher.

As to the legal grounds, it depends on how it plays out: if it is something else entirely, such as the bevel gears in the shaft drive, or the transmission or something, the dealer is likely to claim what they fixed needed repair and they charged you a fair and correct amount, and performed the work per the quote. They may now claim this other damage was either hidden, or not detectable when they did the original work, and that work was done 'in good faith' in that it was not only the problem but the only problem. If this turns out to be the case, they may give you another price for the other work, then discount it to 'share the burden' of the initial mistake or extra, hidden damage(s). Then again, they may just fix the bike for the already- paid sum. ?? It really does depend on what is wrong with it at this point but again, you, they or some other party has to diagnose it fully before coming to any conclusion I think. Or at least that is what I would insist on at this point.

As always Haroldo, the very best of luck with this current situation.

Brian

So, picked up the bike Saturday. It drove home OK, noticed a little slippage passing 7K rpm, but didn't stress much on it.
Then, this morning coming to work, the EXACT same thing happened. First, speedometer stopped working, then clutch blew up again (no resistance in the lever, red light on the dash board, etc). Limped home in 2nd gear and grabbed the other bike to come to work.

Well, obvious the dealer fixed the symptom, but not the actual problem. They are closed today, so I have to fume until tomorrow before I go there and try not to be a total dick right of the get go.

In these situations, are they any legal grounds to protect me? After spending 2K for repairs and having the exact same issue reappear immediately, there has to be something to protect the consumer, no?

On the technical side, something is broken causing the speedo and clutch to break. What could it be?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 03:22:09 AM »
Interesting thread. I will be watching to see how this how this repair ends.  Are they going to fix it for the $1900  that you already paid or are they going to charge you more money  or do you have the option to get your $1900 back  and call it a day.   I would pick option #3  and  maybe just buy a used motor from ebay for around $600 and go another 95,000 miles with it.

I am with Brian on this one.. something is very strange. Is the clutch problem a hydraulic master/slave issue? A destroyed or bad  clutch  doesn't fix itself when you park it for a while?  Did you get a chance to look at the replaced parts?  I am thinking  maybe a broken star spring and the broken pieces took out the clutch pack and basket?  I am curious  as what exactly was replaced and worked on for the $1900 that didn't do much of anything. 

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Because this is a "Haroldo thread", as Brian points out, I need to keep the fun going.  ;D
So, as I was limping to the stealership this morning in 2 and 3rd gear, about to get off the freeway, the bike went CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK....
I am not sure where it was coming from, engine or final drive...But something finally blew up. Whatever was causing the clutch and speed sensor to act up finally has manifested itself.
So, I pushed the concours for 1.5 miles. Yes, 650lbs (no bags, empty tank thank god), pushed, for 1.5 miles.
I work out regularly, and I'm in pretty good shape. But let me tell you, there is nothing like pushing this thing for 1.5 miles. There is no position which makes it comfortable or enjoyable.
A motor cop stopped to chat mid way on an RT1200. His condolences were refreshing,

As I got to the stealership huffing and puffing, I laid it on the kid at the front desk, and immediately apologized, as he is completely innocent. The service manager is out until next week, so I will have to wait until then. Their misdiagnose ended up damaging the original replaced parts and then some. It blew up less than 20 miles after having spent $2011 dollars to repair it (with tax).
So, I'll wait until I hear back. If they don;t take the burden of their own incompetence, I'll try small claims. The silver lining is that this whole thing is paving the way a new baby in the garage early next year.  hmmm.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »
Really sorry to hear this Haroldo, all facets of it. Frankly I cannot think of any sage words, any diaganosis from afar or even the premise that it is 'not that bad' because, well, it sounds pretty bad.

And because this is so unpleasant, I am going to give you a pass and let the whole 'There is no position which makes it comfortable or enjoyable.' thingy go without making any of my usual references to sex with a porcupine, diarrhea in a space craft or anything other, could- be- amusing- in- another- context- remarks.

Again, and as always, the best of luck moving forward with this issue and do let us know how it turns out.

Brian

Because this is a "Haroldo thread", as Brian points out, I need to keep the fun going.  ;D
So, as I was limping to the stealership this morning in 2 and 3rd gear, about to get off the freeway, the bike went CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK....
I am not sure where it was coming from, engine or final drive...But something finally blew up. Whatever was causing the clutch and speed sensor to act up finally has manifested itself.
So, I pushed the concours for 1.5 miles. Yes, 650lbs (no bags, empty tank thank god), pushed, for 1.5 miles.
I work out regularly, and I'm in pretty good shape. But let me tell you, there is nothing like pushing this thing for 1.5 miles. There is no position which makes it comfortable or enjoyable.
A motor cop stopped to chat mid way on an RT1200. His condolences were refreshing,

As I got to the stealership huffing and puffing, I laid it on the kid at the front desk, and immediately apologized, as he is completely innocent. The service manager is out until next week, so I will have to wait until then. Their misdiagnose ended up damaging the original replaced parts and then some. It blew up less than 20 miles after having spent $2011 dollars to repair it (with tax).
So, I'll wait until I hear back. If they don;t take the burden of their own incompetence, I'll try small claims. The silver lining is that this whole thing is paving the way a new baby in the garage early next year.  hmmm.....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »
This episode  is as unreal as my 09 valve munch two months back. I had to push mine too, but only a few yards onto a good  samaritan's trailer.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
So where are we with this Haroldo? You must have more info. by now, your last post was on the the 8th. What is going on with the bike, the dealer, and Haroldo? ?? ??

Really trying to think happy thoughts and still hoping this works out for you and the only real loss is riding time (other than your original situation, which you already paid for of course).

Brian

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »
Crickets...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »
Yeah, this is not like the Haroldo of old though, he used to get right back with the next installment.

Brian

Crickets...

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
Yeah, this is not like the Haroldo of old though, he used to get right back with the next installment.

Brian

Just picked up the bike today. Yes, this has indeed been going until TODAY ;D

Soooo, where did we leave off?.... Ok, after I pushed the bike back to the stealer (for 1.5 miles), with no position that would make it comfortable (Brian, enjoy), they called me back 3 days later because "it was easier to show me than tell me on the phone".
So, when I get there, the left side of the bike is taken apart, mainly that casing where the speedo attached to. There are some bevel gears in there which were mangled and worn out, thus the broken speed sensor.
It turns out, that in addition to the clutch being f-ed, those bevel gears were also broken. In fact, I believe one thing might have contributed to the other...
Anyway, the part alone was $1800, plus gaskets and labor, I would be looking at 2.5K on top of the 2K I had just spent.
I proceeded to ask some angry questions to the tech and the manager, like how come you didn't check hti sbevel gear the first time the speedo broke? They showed me how the troubleshoot it, and it made sense. They hook up a tester to the connector, and thats it. After a small inquisition, I was convinced the technician did the best he could the first time around, and I really had two bombs in my hands.
As this onversation took place, the manager found the bevel gear case on eBay for $100! Someone just happened to be parting out their 08 and the part looked to be in mint condish....
Soooooo, just today and $700 later (eBay part, more dealer parts like gaskets etc, and 4 hours of labor), I picked her up.
She rides great so far....

In summary, I spent $2.7K to fix an 08 with 95K miles on it.

Here is my follow up question:

The last valve check performed on the bike was at 40K miles. The first adjustment and check were done by myself (don't ask) at 13K miles, and valves were grossely out of spec. On the second check at 40K, they were in spec (dealer did it). So, now I'm at 95k, wondering if valve clearances tend to change with age of this bike or not. Given that they were badly out of spec at 13K and then in spec at 40K, I speculate things settled in there and clearance changes are minimal now.

What is the data on this? I'm sure there are many riders with 08s with triple digit odometer readings here... How have your valves behaved along the life of the engine>?

Since this is shim under bucket, does it make sense to assume that valves clearances tend to grow with time (loose clearances) instead of tight, which would be the lesser evil if indeed clearances were actually off?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
Valves are always in spec, as long as someone else checks them. Just ride it. 8)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
The last valve check performed on the bike was at 40K miles. The first adjustment and check were done by myself (don't ask) at 13K miles, and valves were grossely out of spec. On the second check at 40K, they were in spec (dealer did it). So, now I'm at 95k, wondering if valve clearances tend to change with age of this bike or not. Given that they were badly out of spec at 13K and then in spec at 40K, I speculate things settled in there and clearance changes are minimal now.

I tend to try and follow that and it is just all over the map (pun intended).  From those who rarely have anything out of spec to those with significant adjustments.  Those that had nothing at lower mileage and then those that have significant adjustment later.  Nothing scientific, so it seems almost random.  The only trend I see seems to be that most people have little to no adjustment at the [USA] recommended interval, tending to reinforce the strangeness of the USA mileage recommendation compared to the interval given on the identical bike sold in the "rest-of-the-world."   After that, I don't see any trend.

I agree with the logic of your last sentence.  But who knows?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »
Well, I guess it sounds like you are happy, and of course that works for me if it works for you...... but: I would call foul on the dealer's diagnosis. In fact, I DID call foul on their diagnosis in one of the very first responses in this thread- it just did not make sense that those two problems just occurred at the same time and we not related. Further, the only way I believe a set of bad bevel gears could damage the VSS would be to have mechanically damaged it, and regardless of what they say about the test, any human worth his / her salt should have seen the physical damage on the part when it was removed (and it had to be removed to be replaced) and said or done some further investigating (you can see one of the bevel gears through the VSS hole with nothing but a flashlight and a Mark I eyeball). So again, I would dump some level of miss- diagnosis on their doorstep because their mechanic pulled a physically damaged part from the bike, apparently did not [notice, care, concern himself / herself about the damage] deal with the fact that it was damage, and 'whistled a happy tune' while putting in a new VSS into the bad bevel gear ass'y. So Brian says that their diagnostic skills, both logical as well as physical, are faulty and they bear some of the burden of this current situation because they should have found the gear damage in the original assessment. It may not be fraud but it is certainly grossly unprofessional and unacceptable for a service they sell, and you purchased. All IMO of course.

The valves. Now this is a touchy subject with you Haroldo so......  ;) ;D :o   First, which way do they wear: well, both ways, tighter and less tight, all at once. Any wear between the cam lobe and the follower (the 'bucket' in this bike) will result in the clearance increasing. But any wear between the valve face and the valve seat (in the head) will result in the clearance decreasing. Now both sets of these parts wear, and it is impossible to predict which is 'winning', if either one. If the engine is used hard (yep, this is where I would stick 'it'), the valve seats usually wear considerably faster than the cam and follower, resulting in decreasing clearance. But in more casual use, it cannot be predicted in any way that I know of.

Mine were all in spec. except for one at 25K miles and I left them; not worth pulling the cams for 0.001" adjustment IMO, on my bike. At 50K miles, they were all back in spec. though some at the outside limits (which is STILL in spec.; I do not subscribe to 'in the middle of the range' is better, w/in spec. is w/in spec., and the manufacturer knew what they were spec'ing when they wrote the spec.'s). Bike is now at 99K miles and the plan was to check the lash again but that has not happened due to to other circumstances so..... no knowledge of where they are.

The only way to know is to measure them, there are no other methods that even indicate which way they may be out of spec. IMO. Obviously my opinion would be to check the lash at 100K miles but that is of course your choice. Not much danger of having too much clearance but if the clearance drops to zero while the bike is running, you run the risk of burning a valve and valve seat, which whill require removing the head and repairing it or replacing it (the entire head and valves). This is not likely IMO but absolutely possible. ??

There is little data available for valve lash at 100K miles on these engines (C-14 or ZX 14), and certainly not enough to form any rational opinion. So, no data.

Brian

Just picked up the bike today. Yes, this has indeed been going until TODAY ;D

Soooo, where did we leave off?.... Ok, after I pushed the bike back to the stealer (for 1.5 miles), with no position that would make it comfortable (Brian, enjoy), they called me back 3 days later because "it was easier to show me than tell me on the phone".
So, when I get there, the left side of the bike is taken apart, mainly that casing where the speedo attached to. There are some bevel gears in there which were mangled and worn out, thus the broken speed sensor.
It turns out, that in addition to the clutch being f-ed, those bevel gears were also broken. In fact, I believe one thing might have contributed to the other...
Anyway, the part alone was $1800, plus gaskets and labor, I would be looking at 2.5K on top of the 2K I had just spent.
I proceeded to ask some angry questions to the tech and the manager, like how come you didn't check hti sbevel gear the first time the speedo broke? They showed me how the troubleshoot it, and it made sense. They hook up a tester to the connector, and thats it. After a small inquisition, I was convinced the technician did the best he could the first time around, and I really had two bombs in my hands.
As this onversation took place, the manager found the bevel gear case on eBay for $100! Someone just happened to be parting out their 08 and the part looked to be in mint condish....
Soooooo, just today and $700 later (eBay part, more dealer parts like gaskets etc, and 4 hours of labor), I picked her up.
She rides great so far....

In summary, I spent $2.7K to fix an 08 with 95K miles on it.

Here is my follow up question:

What is the data on this? I'm sure there are many riders with 08s with triple digit odometer readings here... How have your valves behaved along the life of the engine>?

Since this is shim under bucket, does it make sense to assume that valves clearances tend to grow with time (loose clearances) instead of tight, which would be the lesser evil if indeed clearances were actually off?

Offline Haroldo_PSF

Re: My clutch blew up ( and the speedometer too) - CONCLUSION
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
Thought I'd conclude this thread. Interesting, when I posted this in 2017, I mentioned future plans to own the super duke GT. Here is the conclusion :)
 Last year we went to our 5 day nor cal ride as we do every year. The Concours with now 98K on the odo worked like a swiss clock. After all the repairs, it was running perfectly. However, at some point during the trip, I started to notice the front brakes were feeling squishy. I continued the ride, which was epic by the way. On the last day, about 50 miles from home, returning to bay area traffic, the brakes were feeling much worse. I was touching the lever to the grip to actuate the brake. I did have steel braided lines, but this was still happening. As I took a freeway exit ramp, I felt the brakes were almost gone.
What I did next was a very stupid thing. I polled over on the left side shoulder of the freeway off ramp, if you can imagine that. I was just freaked out about having no front brakes, and decided to stop on a legal, but incredibly dangerous spot. I was tired and not thinking clearly, of course. As I  am still on the bike, on the shoulder, feeling out the brakes, BAM!. I don't remember between getting hit, and waking up on the ground, but some mother$#@%er tried to overtake a semi, went onto the shoulder, and nailed me from behind. I had a bad concussion and a fractured sacrum. The Concours was completely gone.
So, that concludes exactly 10 years of ownership and excitement that I had with that bike.
I made a full recovery quickly (within 2 months or so), and tomorrow I pick up a new 2019 KTM Super Duke GT (the white and orange one), which is today what the Concours was in 2008 when it was released, the best SPORT tourer in the world (arguably the best road bike in general). Anyway, hoping to have as much fun on the KTM as I had on the Concours.

Cheers!

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
Wow! So sorry to hear, but I am glad you are healed and back in the game. Enjoy the new bike!

Offline katata1100

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »
Junking a motorcycle because it has a bad clutch sounds like shooting your dog because he has a broken leg.
“ This is my concours14. There are others like it, but this one is mine...”

Offline STC14JIM

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Well, that worked out good !! ( Kidding, kidding ).  Good to hear you made a fairly quick recovery and I hope you sued the you-know-what out of the cager that ran into you.

But spending $1,900 on the repair with the hope of getting 50K more miles out of the bike makes sense to me.  Then sell it after the 50K miles for $1,000.  A net cost of only $500.  With the bad clutch, it probably wasn't worth much more than that.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 08:20:02 AM »
 The bike and rider were rear ended . Fixing the clutch when the brakes were fading isn't going to help.

Congrates on the new bike . I rode one and if I could afford It would have one in the garage.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1