Author Topic: bug collection  (Read 3313 times)

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
bug collection
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
Last weekend I was visiting my parents to help around their farm in NW WI.  With the wife and kid off elsewhere I took the C14 for the 4 hour (one way) ride from SE MN. 
Sunday evening on my way home I stopped for gas and cleaned my shield in Minong, WI.  209.5 miles later parked in my garage my helmet looked like this.....

The front of the bike is no better!
Also the 209.5 miles was without a stop.  No stop sign, stop light, or stop in traffic... which was amazing with holiday weekend traffic on I35 into MSP.  Average 52.9 MPG for the trip & had a high of 54.9 for the last tank on the way home!  Never expected that with the speeds on the slab. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: bug collection
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
Similar experience riding through west Texas on Sunday. Could hardly see through the windshield at all.

Amazed at your gas mileage. I averaged 46 for the whole trip and but when I was on the 80 mph speed limit slab in TX I only got about 34.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
I had to double check my math!  I think the gas may have played a part.  I always run 91+ octane and whenever possible avoid ethanol.  Even a 10% ethanol blend  will cost me 5-8 MPG.  My average over the past year has been 44.  Mostly commuting with a few longer trips.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
I had to double check my math!  I think the gas may have played a part.  I always run 91+ octane and whenever possible avoid ethanol.  Even a 10% ethanol blend  will cost me 5-8 MPG.  My average over the past year has been 44.  Mostly commuting with a few longer trips.

+1 on that! But nearly impossible on a trip or even here in Austin. It's rare to find no ethanol.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:27 AM »
Snip...

Also the 209.5 miles was without a stop.  No stop sign, stop light, or stop in traffic... which was amazing with holiday weekend traffic on I35 into MSP.  Average 52.9 MPG for the trip & had a high of 54.9 for the last tank on the way home!  Never expected that with the speeds on the slab.

Good thing that you weren't traveling on I-90 or I-43. Freakin traffic backed up for miles! I hate that :censored: !!! Unfortunately I was in the cage.  >:(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
Had to pull over and dig one out of my left eye, had the visor up and windshield down. Qualified as a mass murderer after this ride.  ;D