Author Topic: ### Whiff of Antifreeze ###  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Motor32

• '87 Concours '16 Ninja 300R
### Whiff of Antifreeze ###
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:49 PM »
When I was out riding, when I would take off from a light I'm getting a whiff of antifreeze. After I got home I took off the fairings and let it run looking for any sign of a leak or drip. Nothing was found. This may drive me crazy. In the meantime I ordered new hoses from Murph's. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Jim __

Re: ### Whiff of Antifreeze ###
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:27:51 AM »
Check the hoses associated with the overflow tank.  Also, check the level to make sure it's not overfilled.  While there, verify someone didn't use a screw that was too long to secure the belly pan and wound up puncturing or cracking the tank.  How does your radiator cap look?  Inspect the weep hole under the water pump.  It is very close to the exhaust pipe so if it's only leaking when running, the drip may be hitting the hot pipe.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:01:15 AM by Jim __ »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
It also could have been from a car near you
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
year and milage would help a bit, but I'll assume based on another thread you posted about forks, that its pre '94...

by this time, likely the large o ring sealing the 2 halves of the thermostat housing has turned to gooo... they all do...
and will produce this symptom. so will the coolant log o rings... and just about every other seal on the cooling system.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Motor32

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
This is a '87. Today I cleaned / degreased everything. Checked all the hoses, the weep hole and every connection of the cooling system. Still nothing spotted. I'll have to keep and eye out until I get my new hoses on.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »
by this time, likely the large o ring sealing the 2 halves of the thermostat housing has turned to gooo... they all do...
and will produce this symptom. so will the coolant log o rings... and just about every other seal on the cooling system.

+1  :goodpost:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Motor32

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
Thanks, I just ordered the thermostat and the log o-rings. Murph's saves the day again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
It also could have been from a car near you

+1 Can't tell you how many times I've panicked over a smell that came from another vehicle.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GKreamer

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:22:39 AM »
Thanks, I just ordered the thermostat and the log o-rings. Murph's saves the day again.
Were you able to replace the hoses and the t-stat/log o-rings?  I did that on my bike and, just like MOB said, the t-stat o-ring was just a mess like it had disintegrated.  If you have yet to, use fork oil to lube the o-rings.  I did that (thanks MOB) and when I finally got coolant back in the system I had no leaks (not counting the coolant that overflowed from pouring too fast :o).

Offline Motor32

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »
Everything is on my bench waiting for a free day to get it done. Thanks for the tips.