Author Topic: Just completed my first long trip on my C10, some thoughts.  (Read 10436 times)

Offline ATC Buckeye

Yesterday we returned from a 5 day, 1200 mile tour of West Virginia.  What a great place to ride.  I know the mileage tally is low but 90% of the roads we were on were twisty as hell.    What a blast.   A few thoughts on my first trip on the Connie.

The good:

My bike turned 79,000 miles on this trip, and a large majority of the 1200 miles we did were at ridiculously high RPM's.   Flirting with the red line, pinning the throttle coming out of curves, slamming TCro's new shift linkage up and down, the Connie never broke a sweat.  I have no idea how long (if ever) it's been since this bike has been wrung out like this, but it performed admirably.   Not one issue.

The fairing.  This one is actually good and bad.   We got caught in a short yet strong rain storm and we didn't really have a good spot to pull over for rain gear so we just pressed on.   I was riding with a V-Strom and a HD ElectraGlide Classic, and those guys were soaked.  I took a little water through my mesh pants around the thighs, but other than that I was good as long as we kept moving.   I actually got the most wet when we stopped at a gas station as there wasn't room under the canopy when we first pulled in.

This is the first bike I've toured on that my head was out of the wind.   What a relief.   Looking through a windscreen takes some getting used to, but now it's all good.  Also, having music, mainly Sirius radio on a bike might be the greatest thing ever.   I don't know if I can ever go back.   Now I really want real cruise control!

Fuel capacity is great.  Those other guys always needed gas when I could've gone quite a ways further.   Gotta love that.

GIVI luggage is absolutely awesome.    Huge capacity, waterproof, and easy on/off at hotels.

Progressive shock and Race Tech forks worked GREAT.   Excellent upgrade!!!

The bad:

The seat was rough.  I use an early model stock seat (the taller and flatter one) which feels fine for short distances, but the long haul, no way.   I'm gonna get with Russell at some point and have him make me a good one.   That stocker was killing me!

The heat.   Most of the ride it was 85+ degrees, and the Connie was really roasting me on some of those mountain roads.  Granted, I had it up above 8000 rpms most of the time so that couldn't have helped.  I use those heat shields that a member on here makes and I'm sure that helped some.   I was wearing some Firstgear mesh pants with basketball shorts underneath, and at the end of one particularly long twisty day, my right shin looked like it had been sunburned.   I ended up cutting the toe off an old sock and using that to cover that section of my leg between my boot and knee to protect it from the heat.   There's just no two ways about it, the Connie can get HOT.    However, in the rain, the fairing was awesome.  Guess you can't have it all.

The brakes.   Something weird happens with my front brakes I've noticed.  Sometimes, when I squeeze the lever, it goes way in before firming up, like nearly to the grip.  But if I let it go real quick and squeeze again, it gets firmer and firmer each time.   The third or fourth time I do this, it gets really firm and engages right away.   Any idea what the cause could be?  I have stock calipers, braided lines and some aftermarket pads and levers.   What is the current status on changing out the calipers?   Aren't there some that bolt right up?   Adapters? 

Overall I enjoyed the job the Connie did.   The heat sucked, but it was a damn hot day and I neglected to bring my mesh jacket (stupid!).   The brakes are a bit unsettling though.   I need to get that figured out.

I'll get some pictures posted later today. 

Offline connie_rider

Re: Just completed my first long trip on my C10, some thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
You may have air in the brake system, or need to rebuild you master cylinder.
Either is Easy job.
When doing repair,,, DO NOT GET BRAKE FLUID ON YOU PAINT!!!
(Don't ask me how I know)...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I did flush and replace all brake fluid this winter.  Perhaps I have some air in the brakes.   I'll have to look into the master cylinder rebuild.   I'd sure like to replace the calipers with some that are a little more "current" though  ;)

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Here's a couple pictures from the trip:

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
I did flush and replace all brake fluid this winter.  Perhaps I have some air in the brakes.   I'll have to look into the master cylinder rebuild.   I'd sure like to replace the calipers with some that are a little more "current" though  ;)

Was the spongy brake lever after continuous hard braking? Maybe you boiled the brake fluid? Can this still happen these days with DOT 4  :-\
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Ranger

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »
Was the spongy brake lever after continuous hard braking? Maybe you boiled the brake fluid? Can this still happen these days with DOT 4  :-\

If the brake problem only crops up under hard riding it may be boiling. If it's like that all the time you likely have air in the lines.
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
I don't think it was boiling.   I'll try bleeding them again and see what comes out.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

I'd say pull the front brake lever before the first start of the day. If you have to pump the brake lever to get pressure I would say it's time for a master cyl. rebuild.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
Getting that last little bit of air out of the front brake is pretty common issue with our notorious brake system. Reverse flusing is the best -- but can be quite messy. If you're running original rubber lines you're kind of out of luck. They will never be as firm as braided steel lines.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
I have braided lines.   I'm going to buy the rebuild kit from Murphs and get the air out at the same time.

One thing I forgot to add is the significant amount of drive shaft lash I noticed while navigating those mountain roads at high RPM's.  A pretty good lurch from the rear end on throttle opening and closing.  I'm betting my rubber cush drives need replacing.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
I have to ask. How long did you have to wait for that glide after revving thru the twisties? :D
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
Quite the opposite, actually.   He's been riding HD's since the 70s and he can absolutely run the **** out of that EGC.   The only thing that holds him back is floorboard clearance.   He's FAST on that thing.   If I'm behind him I work hard to keep him in sight!  The V-Strom guy, forget it.  He could take a nap waiting for me to catch up.  He's crazy fast.   

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
You may want to check to make sure the caliper pistons and sliders are free. If they're a bit sticky you can get what you've been feeling.
But yes +1 on the re flushing the brakes
BTW was the brake like this before the trip?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
Heat, same general idea: I have a rifle, a screwdriver, pliers and a bungie net. Takes me less than 5 minutes to convert, and if I ran stock bags I doubt if I would need the net. The rifle base works for me solo. Blessed relief.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:54 AM »
You may want to check to make sure the caliper pistons and sliders are free. If they're a bit sticky you can get what you've been feeling.
But yes +1 on the re flushing the brakes
BTW was the brake like this before the trip?

I think that it was, yes.  Sometimes things just don't really seem like issues until you deal with them for 5 days straight :)  I did try once to ziptie the lever to the grip overnight (read that on the old forum before the crash) and that did firm it up real nice for awhile, but eventually goes back to needing "pumped up".

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
You would love improved Calipers, but the stockers are not too bad if you "know" they are going to perform correctly.
Before you spend the $$ work on the trapped air theory.
The brake system on a Connie can be a real pain to bleed, so when I rebuilt my master cylinder,  I used a hand operated vacuum pump to bleed mine. (Available at Harbor freight)

The reverse flush that someone mentioned would be even better, but like I sed,,,,, DO NOT GET BRAKE FLUID ON YOUR PAINT.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Tell your Harley Buddy I'm impressed. Getting one thru the twisties with a Connie is quite a feat!

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
I have braided lines.   I'm going to buy the rebuild kit from Murphs and get the air out at the same time.

One thing I forgot to add is the significant amount of drive shaft lash I noticed while navigating those mountain roads at high RPM's.  A pretty good lurch from the rear end on throttle opening and closing.  I'm betting my rubber cush drives need replacing.

Make sure your slack is out of the throttle cable. I recently removed my hand grib and added more slack in the throttle cable in the process. When I went out for a ride I noticed what seemed to be more back lash in the drive train. Sounds a little far fetched but, it made a difference.

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »
How do you play your tunage ATCB? Speakers or in your helmet?
I am going on a 4 state ride this coming weekend and am playing music from my Tomtom GPS to high-end Sony earbuds. I had to buy a volume control, as the Tomtom has a fixed output. But it's nice. I can clip the volume control onto my tank bra.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »
I have 4" speakers in the fairing pockets, the previous owner installed em but I replaced em with some really nice Polk Audio marine speakers, waterproof and LOUD.   Then, I installed a Bazooka marine amp with waterproof wired remote under the seat, and the remote in that blank plastic spot to the left of the instruments.  It looks totally stock.  Then, I bought a Sirius Stratus 5 (I think it's 5) from Ebay, and a small Pelican waterproof box and screwed the radio down into the box.  Then, I mounted the box with some old L-type bracket I had lying around onto my Buck's dash shelf, and slapped the Sirius antenna on the shelf.  Great reception, great sound, all waterproof.

YoDoc

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
Make sure your slack is out of the throttle cable. I recently removed my hand grib and added more slack in the throttle cable in the process. When I went out for a ride I noticed what seemed to be more back lash in the drive train. Sounds a little far fetched but, it made a difference.

It's not THAT far fetched. With the throttle cable slack properly adjusted, we make certain movements with our wrist, namely, learning to ease into the throttle most of the time. If there is too much slack, the muscle memory you've developed eases into the trottle (which still isn't on, because of the slack) and by the time the cable picks up the slack, your wrist is pulling the cable pretty fast. The effect is basically the same as just whacking the throttle on, instead of doing it correctly.