Author Topic: Gas gauge issue?  (Read 11485 times)

Offline atye

Gas gauge issue?
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
Ok, on to the next "issue"...LOL

I just got the bike a week ago (2004 C10) and immediately filled the tank. The speedometer is not working so I cannot check the mileage, but ... When the gauge read "E" again yesterday, I filled it up and it took less than 4 gallons of gas.

From what I've read, the bike has a 7.5GAL fuel tank. Is the gauge reading normal or do I have some work to do? This is actually my first bike with a gas gauge (and clock!) so my experience is very limited in this area.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Gas gauge issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »
What you are experiencing is completely "normal" for the C10s.  There is a very easy modification that you can do to get the gauge reading to be more accurate.

Here are instructions from the COG website: Link

You can just put a 220 ohm resistor in parallel with the sending unit at the connector under the rear of the tank.  That usually gets it close enough for most folks.  I have a variable resistor, and have it set so my bike hits reserve right around when the gauge touches the top of the red area.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Hi there,

As many other C-10 owners will chime in, the gas gauge is notoriously inaccurate.  Many of us have modified the sensor connection with fixed and variable resistors to improve its measurements.

I used a fixed resistor and then switched to a variable one.  Seems to read better for me now.
http://c10mods.blogspot.com/2011/07/c10-fuel-gauge-modification.html
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline atye

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the guidance for this newbie!

Sounds easy enough to fix, I will add it to my list.
 8)

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:24:20 PM by knight_mare »

Offline atye

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
I adjusted my gauge so that it reads full until I hit reserve; then it starts dropping.  Nice to know when I'm half way through reserve.
There are only 3 reasons why the odometer won't work - the thing on the axle, the cable, and the readout mechanism.  Do you know which is/are causing the problem?

I haven't gotten to the speedometer yet, but soon!
I am gathering all of my "knowledge" so that I can hopefully have a huge day of progress with the C10 very soon and knock out several issues at one sitting.

Loving this forum so far! Been on a lot of different forums over the years for various vehicles and this is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful forums that I have seen!
Thanks!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
"Loving this forum so far! Been on a lot of different forums over the years for various vehicles and this is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful forums that I have seen!"

You really are a newbie, aren't you. ;) Cheers
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline atye

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
LOL

Enjoy it while I can, huh?

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
Been a few years since I had my tank apart, but isn't it possible to bend the  float rod downward a little to read more accurate? That whole assembly can be removed easily. 

This is what I recall on my 1987. 

I didn't read the resistor installation instructions.  Maybe that is easier.  I'm electrically challenged so I don't generally consider any electrical type mods unless they are plug-n-play.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:24:26 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
  I just used the 220 ohm resistor and now the fuel gauge is real close to accurate. Very easy fix.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline atye

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
I adjusted my gauge so that it reads full until I hit reserve; then it starts dropping.  Nice to know when I'm half way through reserve.
There are only 3 reasons why the odometer won't work - the thing on the axle, the cable, and the readout mechanism.  Do you know which is/are causing the problem?

Found out last night that I have a broken speedometer cable. Easy enough to fix!

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
Found out last night that I have a broken speedometer cable. Easy enough to fix!

Murph is your man!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Summit670

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
  I just used the 220 ohm resistor and now the fuel gauge is real close to accurate. Very easy fix.

Ok, I read the link showing how to do the resistor.  Looks easy enough that an electrically-challenged person like me could even do it.  Thanks.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »
Ok, I read the link showing how to do the resistor.  Looks easy enough that an electrically-challenged person like me could even do it.  Thanks.
   Welcome to the club. I even screwed up a free lunch once!! :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline pranje

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
So, I picked up my 03 Connie back in late August 2012.  Huge upgrade from my tooth cutter (1984 KZ700A1).  I started the tank gage fix this evening and I came upon a pig tail between the tank gage female plug and the male bike side plug.  Coming off this pig tail is female plug with two wires with an adjustable resistor on it. I know it is very possible that a previous owner may have installed this, but it looks very factory or at least dealer installed.  Has any one else come across this?  It was set for 176ish Ohms.
Jason on the Great North Coast!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
  I used a 220 ohm resistor instead of adjustable. My gas gauge is now pretty accurate. Yes, yours was put there by the previous owner to make the reading more accurate.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:57:43 AM by Mettler1 »

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
So, I picked up my 03 Connie back in late August 2012.  Huge upgrade from my tooth cutter (1984 KZ700A1).  I started the tank gage fix this evening and I came upon a pig tail between the tank gage female plug and the male bike side plug.  Coming off this pig tail is female plug with two wires with an adjustable resistor on it. I know it is very possible that a previous owner may have installed this, but it looks very factory or at least dealer installed.  Has any one else come across this?  It was set for 176ish Ohms.
Looks like you've got Totally Wired Cycles fuel gauge adjuster installed.  They're no longer available, unfortunately.  It should have a plastic sleeve covering it to protect it.

I have one on my bike.  I've got it adjusted so I hit my reserve just as the gauge goes into the red zone. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline pranje

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 04:08:50 AM »
It was covered with a shrink wrap, I was able to pull it off fairly easy. I thank you for the in put, Jason on the great north. coast.
Jason on the Great North Coast!

Offline cugsy

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:40 AM »
I'm glad I found this - my fuel gauge is driving me nuts. Its showing 1/4 after only 120 miles. Last time it showed empty I put 4 gallon in.  Resistance is useful...
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!