Author Topic: Roadtrip plan: help with itinerary?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline tvanhorne

Roadtrip plan: help with itinerary?
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi all, here’s a possible itinerary for a June roadtrip.  It’ll be 2 of us on the Connie with some camping gear but we hope to be couch surfing as much as possible.

What do you think?  A good balance of time, or too spread out?  I’d appreciate any input you have.

Dates indicate where we’ll be staying that night

6   Depart Portland, OR coast
7   CA coast
8   Pt. Reyes YH
9   Bay Area w/ family
10   Bay Area w/ family
11   Berkeley w/ friend
12   Berkeley w/ friend
13   Yosemite (reservations made, can’t change)
14   Yosemite
15   Mammoth Lakes (couch surfing if possible)
16   Las Vegas area (couch surfing if possible, no interest in the city itself)
17   Zion
18   Zion
19   Bryce
20   Capitol Reef
21   to Yellowstone
22   to Yellowstone
23   Yellowstone (no reservations yet)
24   Yellowstone
25   Yellowstone
26   Idaho
27   Idaho
28   Milton-Freewater w/friends
29   Arrive Portland

Offline George in N Az

Re: Roadtrip plan: help with itinerary?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
My old avatar was from the Zion overlook. Just a little note about the screwy weather. I was going from Flagstaff by Bryce, via Brianhead to Salt Lake a couple summers ago (July 1 to be exact!). I saw rain and a little bit of what looked like snow near Brianhead. I know you will be prepared. The desert floor around Vegas is well over 100 degrees and then as you get to the mountains it is really nice.  When you are near Bryce be prepared for the critters, I saw deer by the dozens and little furry things too. Have fun!

Too bad you aren't heading a little further south in California, one of my favorite areas, Morro Bay - awesome.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
All around Pt Reyes is pretty nice riding.  I also recommend hitting 128 if you get a chance.  20 is a bit too curvy for my taste.

From Pt Reyes to Berkely's only about an hour, so you'll have lots of time to kill.

I've got a couch in SF, if any ever needs it, and a parts connie out front.  Swing by if you need to do any maintenance.  Inviting!  : )

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
When you're at Capital Reef, there is a scenic turnout just west of the park a bit, on the south side of the highway. The sunset there with the light bouncing off of the reef is awesome. I did it twice while in the area, on one sunset the clouds were just right to make it THE most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. And I've seen some dandies.

The critters on the highway were quite busy on departure from the overlook, be forewarned.

While there, I camped in Tory at the hostel/campground, frugal, clean, nice view, friendly owner, and REAL GREEN grass. They also have a washer and dryer, came in handy. It was in 2005, so info may no longer be accurate.

Make sure you do UT 12, I prefer heading s/w, better views of the Grande Escalante

Have fun.

Edite two fixx speeling airor
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:23:23 PM by SteveJ »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »

Make sure you do UT 12, I prefer heading s/w, better views of the Grande Escalante

Have fun.

Excellent advise, there is a very nice state park a mile or two south of the town of Escalante. Nice grass, very good showers and you can find some good food in town.

Have a great ride.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline tvanhorne

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Thanks all for the advice!  It's been years since I've been to UT, so it's good to hear.

Barney, thanks for the offer but we're set for the bay area--busy with family and such.

Any info on getting to Yellowstone (I'm hoping to head through Flaming River), or where to stay around there?

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
I hope you mean Flaming Gorge, there are campgrounds around Dutch John, several motels in Manila, Utah. A little south of Manila is a little side trip thru Sheep Creek Canyon. It's well worth the short time it take to ride the loop, I never miss it when in the area. Check it out on Goggle Earth.

You can take 43 west out of manila, changes to 414 in Wyoming. It's a nice ride with No traffic, takes you to Fort Bridger, Wyoming. You can continue north on 412 take a look at a map, If you have never seen it take a look at Bear Lake, it's on the Utah Idaho border beautiful 20 mile long 8 mile wide natural lake. Excellent route to Yellowstone from Bear lake north.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
I used to make myself miserable attempting to make my trips meet my planned expectations.

Ease up on the itinerary and go where the road takes you. :thumbs:

Offline tvanhorne

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
Booger, I agree with you but then there's the issue of reservations at the big parks.  I'm trying to do couch surfing as much as I can to keep it flexible but some things need to be locked in.