Author Topic: help....I f'ing HATE electrical problems!  (Read 1409 times)

Offline sport rider

help....I f'ing HATE electrical problems!
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
need some ideas and moral support. 

I was working on getting my turn signals working, had removed the left bar switches/cover.  signals were not working and the hazzard button was sticking.

along the way, the horn button broke and could not be repaired, so I ordered a used one off ebay.  it arrived Tuesday and I was surprised when I looked to see that the case was not weather or sun faded at all, and the insides had barely a speck of dirt in it.  removed the old one and replaced it with the new.  Now, not only are my signals still not working, but neither is the headlight.  working with the connector plug for that set of wires, it seems that when plugged in, I'm not getting power through to the controls side of the plug.  in other words, the harness side of the plug shows voltage, but when plugged in, testing from the back side of the male plug, I'm not getting any reading.

I'm going to swap my controls from the other C10.  I know for sure they are working as expected.  Hopefully that will indicate that it might be the harness side of the plug.

any other thoughts or ideas of how I should approach this?  I've been looking at the schematics and figuring out the wire colors and connections.

did I mention I hate electrical problems?   :censored:

Offline sport rider

Re: help....I f'ing HATE electrical problems!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
Rich....I'm highly disappointed in you!  :D

I figured you would be the one to tell me the answer on this.  Problem found.  I started swapping out parts from the good C10.  finally ended up at the jbox.  time for a new one!!!

anyone know if Larry Buck is still rebuilding them?  Hate to wait that long, but Larry's site doesn't show any replacements in-stock.

end of busting of Rich's chops.   ;D

Offline connie_rider

Re: help....
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
As I also f'ing HATE electrical problems, I've been monitoring this.
   I assumed a broken or loose connection somewhere.
   Turns out that I was right, and it's apparently in the J box..

Ok, Rich will be here soon, and you'll get your answer.
  bukuz; He loves to tell me when I'm wrong..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Yes, Larry is still doing the J boxes.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
now next up is something in the starter process.  other lights and such are working, but hit the starter button and dead silence.  I took the switch apart and did my best to get some sandpaper on the contacts in there.  I swapped over the ignition box from the other C10.  also swapped the relay the positive cable goes to.  checked plugs and wires to see nothing obvious was wrong.  checked fuses.

Scratching my head again.  :(

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
DOH>>>>
 :cool: :censored: :doh:

lemme digestimicate this a couple minutes...you anxious kids you....

is this the cafe build bike, or your other one?
what year?
some issues with signal/dimmer switch pod do crop up when attempting a swap of pods, from pre-post '94 model, as the pre ones had the reserve lighting module, and it doesn't play well with the newer control pod wiring... via headlight function...

also, are you checking neutral lockout circuit/clutch & side stand switchs, and are sure you are in neutral?

yer swapping a lot of parts back and forth now, and I'm loosing track of each, and the progression of events.....
JaMaican me crazy... :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:55:11 AM »
RICH!  welcome back!  :D

I figured this one out.  it was the switch cluster.  swapped it off the the good bike.  works fine.

I know I was swapping a lot of parts, but also knew they were known good components.  the jbox was definitely part of the problem, but the others weren't.  but I left them on because I knew they were good on the other bike.  decided to swap the starter switch.  that did it.  it's all back in good order now and ready to move forward.

thanks for the input...sorry you missed the fun!  :D

BTW...it's a 97.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
See, {my plan worked} (I told you if I replied) he'd be here soon...

lemme digestimicate this a couple minutes...you anxious kids you....

"Kids" ???:_shudder_Emoticon
        "Wow",, thank you Rich!
                That's the nicest thing you ever sed to me.

PS: Thanx for the help.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

No Ted, the "nicest thing I ever said" was here "lemme pick up the tab..."

second nicest thing was..."here Ted, drink this...."

so, maybe it's #3 on the "nice" list... you old hoser.... :chugbeer: :battle: :banana :banana

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..