Author Topic: Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Anyone had Lasik eye surgery?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
I have not had Lasik done, I know several people who have, some have halos and weird night vision, others are fine.  In the spring of 2009 I had to have cataract surgery and interocular implants.  I let it go as long as I could until I was dangerous to drive and could barely do my job.  I was never adjudicated “legally blind” but it was very close.  Losing your vision is a life-altering thing and I honestly don’t know if I would continue on if I lost it all.  Might just have a gun-cleaning accident.  The cataract surgery went perfectly. I have 20/20 distance vision, and use readers for close up.  That’s no big deal, before the surgery I was wearing rigid gas-permeable contact lenses and readers, so I’m ahead of that game.

The point I make is that after losing a significant portion of my sight, then regaining it literally overnight,  for me (everyone else is different) I would not risk losing even .01% of the vision I have for the sake of the “convenience” of not wearing glasses or contacts.  I protect my eyes at all costs now and I would do anything to keep the vision that I have.  I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever they chose.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:16 AM »
My Lasik was performed around 9 years ago and for many years I felt it was the best $$ I had ever spent. Now.....I cant say that. My right eye has developed what is called corneal ectasia http://www.lasikcomplications.com/ectasia.htm. I now must wear a very expensive contact in my right eye in order to be able to see 20/25 in that eye. There are no glasses that can correct what has happened to my eye and this type of special contact or a cornea replacement are my only options.  I had Lasik to get rid of contacts and the irony is now that because of Lasik, I am forced to wear them in one eye. My left eye is still holding strong at 20/20 with no issues at all. I think the percentage of risk is something to be considered and only you and your wife can make the decision......but as you can see from the responses here ...... things can go wrong.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Jose C-14

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 06:13:26 AM »
I did lasik 7 years ago. It has been the best gift that I have ever got me, other than my C 14 of course  ;D. I had monovision wich means that I one eye for long distance, dominant one, and one for short distance. Sinec I'm over 50 i will need a tre-touch in a few years other than that I love it.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
My 2 pesos' worth . . .

My ortho-whatever (eye doctor) had it done about 5 or 6 six years ago. She loved it and told me all about it and I was curious enough to do some research to see if I would risk it.

Anyhow, after about 3 or 4 years, I come in for a vision test and she's back to wearing glasses. Said it hadn't worked out for her. I forget the fine details of why.