Author Topic: Double Bubble for the C10?  (Read 4371 times)

YoDoc

Double Bubble for the C10?
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this company?

http://www.bikescreen.com/index.html
Gustaffson Plastics

Or this product in particular?
http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?prod=zzToddOttingerKawasakiConFGss

I mean, that IS a double bubble for a Connie, yes?

Offline nosaint7

Re: Double Bubble for the C10?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
The profile of Gustafsson's G-Force screens are similar to Zero Gravity's double bubble's.  Gustafsson has a BAD rep for customer service among a LOT of folks.
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
The profile of Gustafsson's G-Force screens are similar to Zero Gravity's double bubble's.  Gustafsson has a BAD rep for customer service among a LOT of folks.

Not for the faint of heart either as you have to do all of your own drilling too.....  :o

Who the heck ever heard of a shield coming sans any mounting holes?  ???

Other than breaking in my own hands while drilling and hearing not a word from them about the same I liked the looks just fine....  :loco:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
Hmmm... So I take it that these are not exactly glowing reviews...

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
Hmmm... So I take it that these are not exactly glowing reviews....

Agreed, sounds like your money may be better spent elsewhere.. Check out Elvin's writeup on windscreens..
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=666.0
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

YoDoc

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
I've looked at it, but can't find anyone else who make a screen like that that fits the C10... There really aren't even that many places to buy an actual "short" screen. Most of them are pretty tall... I don't really want to cut the one I've got, because I like it for cool weather, long distance, etc... but 99% of my riding is in the hot fu***ng Texas heat, in Dallas traffic... short shield needed...

Maybe I'll just have to buy a second shield, of whatever height, and cut it down myself... not exactly what I was wanting to do. I'm not a "bodywork" kind of guy.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »
Doc don't let our comments sway you one direction or the other if the Gustafsson's G-Force is what you think looking for as they are a really good looking screen; but don't be fooled I think that they suck when it comes to making a quality product and the service is even worse in my book. I can tell you from failed experience that for 110 to 125 plus dollars I dam sure would expect that the screen would come pre-drilled for the mounting holes; and don't think that drilling holes in this type of plastic is a easy as it sounds because it is not. You really need to use a bit designed for plastic with a sharp point as it helps "REDUCE" the chance for break through grab which can cause the shield to crack while drilling. Also for this amount of money I would have also expected that the shield would have been formed better; in that it did not lie true to the cowling while I attempted to position it in square order for marking of the holes that need to be drilled . The odd shape of the shield also does not lend itself to any sort of stability while you are in fact trying to drill the thing.

If your just wanting a short summer shield you would be much better off getting a sheet of .125" x 24" x 24" quality LEXAN from a local supplier or from www.mcmaster.com (40.00 for high quality and tinted too) and trying your hand at forming a one of a kind. As the cutting of simple flat shields is really not all that hard at all needing nothing more than a jig-saw and lots of masking tape to protect the plastic from scratches while you work, and the final edge shaping as well as polishing of the edges can be done with a small pad sander or can be covered with some sort of edge dressing.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 05:33:24 AM »
Unless you can find a used shield to cut down, the least expensive option is to purchase a Targa. You can buy them direct from Targa or buy one thru Cycle gear.
It's the same price from either one, but if you buy from Cycle gear you don't have to pay shipping. You can get the shield in a dark smoke, it comes predrilled, and the bottom of the shield is already painted. You can get one for $69 to $79. It's very easy to cut , works and looks good. I've been running them for several years. I run a Targa cut down to 13 inches total height and really like it. The small shield makes the bike look smaller from both sides of the windscreen and IMO makes the bike look much better than the barn door size screens you see on many Concours. You get nice clean air and the bike is not bothered by dirty air off of large vehicles.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

YoDoc

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
I looked on both sites and don't see a Targa shield for the C10. Now I'm confused. Am I just looking at the wrong sites?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »
Unless you can find a used shield to cut down, the least expensive option is to purchase a Targa. You can buy them direct from Targa or buy one thru Cycle gear.
It's the same price from either one, but if you buy from Cycle gear you don't have to pay shipping. You can get the shield in a dark smoke, it comes predrilled, and the bottom of the shield is already painted. You can get one for $69 to $79. It's very easy to cut , works and looks good. I've been running them for several years. I run a Targa cut down to 13 inches total height and really like it. The small shield makes the bike look smaller from both sides of the windscreen and IMO makes the bike look much better than the barn door size screens you see on many Concours. You get nice clean air and the bike is not bothered by dirty air off of large vehicles.

I used to run Targa's. Loved em'.
Mine was old/scratched, so we bought 2 (for 2 different Connies) and both broke the corner off near the last screw hole. (right side as I recall)
I contacted Targa and at the same time my buddy bought a 3rd.
On his, We relieved the hole before mounting. Still broke!
(We think that Targa didn't have the contour/bend right near that corner and it put the shield in a bind).

Paid the shipping and Sent them to Targa (for them to replace or to help me solve the problem)
They kept my shields and offered no help,  said it was my fault they broke..
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back when I wanted a short shield, I  used a cut down stock shield.
Easy to do. Put tape on the shield surface, Saw the upper part off with a jig saw, and sand the edges with a block of wood and sandpaper.....

Ride safe, Ted

YoDoc

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
Alright, it looks like my best bet then is going to be to look for a cheap used screen.