Author Topic: Need help with suspension settings.  (Read 23056 times)

Offline rtarp1

Need help with suspension settings.
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
2011 c14
  i want to adjust my suspension for sport riding , does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks
bob

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Need help with suspension settings.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
Stiffer is better than soft for sport riding. There's an art for setting a bike up perfect, and I'm not an expert by any means. I would stiffen up the preload and rebound front and rear.
Make one adjustment at a time, between rides. That way you know what you did  to make it that way.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
Stiffer is better than soft for sport riding. There's an art for setting a bike up perfect, and I'm not an expert by any means. I would stiffen up the preload and rebound front and rear.
Make one adjustment at a time, between rides. That way you know what you did  to make it that way.

Stiffer is better up to a point. If the suspension is set too stiff, the tire will not stay planted on the road. The suspension needs to remain compliant enough to allow it to follow surface irregularities and keep the tire firmly planted. There are articles out there on how to set the sag and dampening.

Offline jayke

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
Probally more than you want to know:

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Set sag (preload) first, then work on the rest.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
The stock suspension on the c14 is set up very soft for "sport riding"   My favorite canyon settings, for now, are a s follows.  I weigh 180 lbs in my mind (and bench press 345) , but the damn, lying scale says 205....weight and press.
Anyway, my last adventure was set up a \s follows.

Front..Preload with three rings showing.  Rebound damping set at three clicks out from fully bottomed.

Rear....preload all the way in, then three clicks out. Reb damn 1/4 turn out from fully bottomed.

This is a drastic change from stock, but from here its easy to fine tune for your weight and conditions.  Trying to adjust oen click at  a time at each end is difficult, if not impossible.  Sort of like dialing in a rifle scope for  a 1000 yard shot.  One click is hard to fee or notice, 10 not so tough.

These settings are stiff on a regular road, but control is amazing.

Here is where the aftermarket shocks have it all over oem. You can set these stiff and controlled, yet they remain much more compliant and controlled. 

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
Probally more than you want to know:

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Set sag (preload) first, then work on the rest.

yep! thats what I used and got me sportin around.  use as a base, then tweak away. 

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

@rcannon409
Front..Preload with three rings showing.  Rebound damping set at three clicks out from fully bottomed.

how many mm is this preload? 

thanks for the help guys.
bob

[/quote]

Offline okxd45

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
And then there is this that was posted in another thread.

Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
And then there is this that was posted in another thread.

My previous owner left a copy of this in my manual and it works pretty darn well and its simple. I guessed it was for about 165 lbs and adjusted from there.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline okxd45

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
    My previous owner left a copy of this in my manual and it works pretty darn well and its simple. I guessed it was for about 165 lbs and adjusted from there.

Mike

No I believe he said he was about 215 all geared up. Can't remember what the wife weighed.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »

@rcannon409

how many mm is this preload? 

thanks for the help guys.
bob

can't remember right off hand, but I think thats around 7-8mm's.
my regular cruise preload is at 9-10mm (I'm 185lbs). when I hit the dragon I just crank them two to three full turns and puts me right where I like it and control is sharp and fast.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
can't remember right off hand, but I think thats around 7-8mm's.
my regular cruise preload is at 9-10mm (I'm 185lbs). when I hit the dragon I just crank them two to three full turns and puts me right where I like it and control is sharp and fast.

Thats about right. Sorry I missed this earlier. Its awkward to get my micrometer in there to measure, but 7-8mm is very close.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
Thats about right. Sorry I missed this earlier. Its awkward to get my micrometer in there to measure, but 7-8mm is very close.

yeah it is a PITA to measure. need to find a small measuring device.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »
I use a small metal metric ruler.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 06:13:33 AM »
rcannon, your sag is good at those settings ?? my guy was shooting for 1.5" front and rear. I'm about 210+gear.
found the adjustment curve on the rear shock blows, far from linear. now my front i have a ton of spring taken out of it, sag is great, i think more fluid had been added( fork oil change, head bearings greased). my 09 has been stripped and put back together. amazing, ride is great, pounding twisties the "ride height" is very stable. no nose dives braking or anything. soaks up bumpy roads very well. front springs and valves are on my shopping list, possibly a rear shock too.
mainly do 400+ mile twistie days with sport bikes, now if only i can get tires to last. fronts go about 6k miles, rears about 4500 miles.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
i left the preload stock and put the damening only i click tighter and the rear dampening 2 clicks tighter.   any more than this and i find the bike jarring and harsh on ny bumby roads.  maybe if i was on the track it would be different but worrying about getting bounced from the bike all the time is annoying.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
I gotta be honest here.  I'm pretty heavy.  Most days I'd go on the far side of 275 nekkid.  I've read everything I can find on this forum regarding suspension settings.  It's not easy, because even the sticky threads just meander around and get hijacked over and over.  There's the spreadsheet, which of course I've printed out.  And there are the "golden" settings for pre-load, which NOBODY seems to be able to agree upon.  15, 11, 16, 14mm on the sheet, but then other "experts" say they run 6-7mm, and weigh under 200.  When somebody of greater weight asks what we should do, there are several types of reply, mostly along the lines of "lose 50 lbs", "lose 100 lbs" (thanks for all of you sensitive types), and the ever sincere "use the 2-up settings".  Really?  Does anyone really think that a 300 lb rider, sitting up against the tank and leaning over the handlebars has weight distribution ANYTHING like two 150 lb people on the same bike?  (only if the passenger is sitting on the driver's shoulders).  So again I have come up empty handed.  My front pre-load was at 10mm.  I don't remember how it got that way, maybe the dealer's prep-man took a look at me and said "better crank up the suspension for this fat slob".  Maybe I was having problems with nose-dive and bottoming out on bumps and cranked it down there myself.  Either way, it was with much nervousness that I followed the 2-up chart and tried to get it up to 14mm.   I'm no racer, don't do track days, and my goal here is to make the bike as safe and stable in the corners as possible.  Harsh ride is not to big of an issue for me, and I never have a passenger.  Rear pre-load was way soft, about 4 turns in. 
So, I finally settled on my own compromise mix:  Front preload 12.5mm, Front dampening 3 clicks from all-in.  Rear preload 22 clicks from all-out, dampening 1.25 turns from all-in.  I'll try this weekend to see how it feels, but I'm not sure I'll even know what to feel for. 
Gotta go for now, Domino's is at my door, and I like my three large surpreme pizzas nice and hot.  Till later...
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
The stock suspension on the c14 is set up very soft for "sport riding"   My favorite canyon settings, for now, are a s follows.  I weigh 180 lbs in my mind (and bench press 345) , but the damn, lying scale says 205....weight and press.
Anyway, my last adventure was set up a \s follows.

Rear....preload all the way in, then three clicks out. Reb damn 1/4 turn out from fully bottomed.

This is a drastic change from stock, but from here its easy to fine tune for your weight and conditions.  Trying to adjust oen click at  a time at each end is difficult, if not impossible.  Sort of like dialing in a rifle scope for  a 1000 yard shot.  One click is hard to fee or notice, 10 not so tough.

These settings are stiff on a regular road, but control is amazing.

Here is where the aftermarket shocks have it all over oem. You can set these stiff and controlled, yet they remain much more compliant and controlled.

I went ahead with theses adjustements and going on a 2 day 700 mile ride with my sport bikes friends we shall see how she does... In just the short test ride I did it is allot stiffer then factory settings which is a good thing since I weigh in at about 240...   But like the op said I can make adjustments from this point cause at least I'm in the ballpark as before I was not even close.

Offline brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
Are the rings on a C14's front preload indicative of an actual millimeter measurement, i.e. 3mm?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
I don't think so.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.