Author Topic: make her pretty again?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline Brad Baerwald

make her pretty again?
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
I hope I don't make anyone mad, but I've never thought the C10  as a "looker"... Snice it seems to me, to be, styled after the BMW's of the day (I do want a couple KMW stickers though) and I'm sorry those  BMW's... ain't all that pretty (to me anyway)

However, I do LOVE to ride her.  I posted a picture of mine.  The supposed 04..with the 92/93 paint?  Anyway, In the intrest of NOT having to "ride" her with a paper bag over her head... :rotflmao:

I need help finding the best ways to fix all the broken "joining tabs" (I have no idea what to call them)
All but 2  are broken at the bottom of the "top fairing" that connect to the side pannels (only 2 remain on the left side)

I have one of the broken tabs (and it looks like someone -before me- tried to glue it.

The screws you see in the photo are mostly "ornimental"

You folks manage to make your C10's look very nice...I love mine so much that I need to give her back her self respect.

PS I've dropped her 2 times over the years and all the "narrow" spots (in the plastics) are either cracked or  broken and gone

any ideas?
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Re: make her pretty again?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:10 PM »
Go to the C10 FAQs: Body & Frame: Bodyworking the Bodywork.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
I just used a product called "Plastifix"...it is AWESOME!  Got it from Murphskits.com in two or three days...highly recommend!  There are several YouTube videos on how to make tabs...

Good luck!
'02 C-10

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »
Thank You! CRocker and eliven315  I will look at both of those!

I once bought a new front fender for the 11  and was surprised at crazy high shipping.  I can't remember the details except that the shipping price was as much as the fender itself, (or worse).  I managed a reasonable shipping cost and never concidered doing that again... till this bike. I haven't seen anyone talking about buying new plastics (here) I have some racing buddies that talk about it all the time... but that's racing I guess?

I also need a really great backrest for this bike (and trunk?)  I'm guessing it's fairly common knowledge BUT the "knowledge" on this forum is superior and (probably) not as motivated by the "sale" then it is by the "truth".   It's very important because I'm trying to get my wife to join me on the bike more (and SHE's the one that actually picked this bike out!!, long story)  but she doesn't want to ride without one and I refuse to buy a "G wing" for a back rest LOL! (as if) and I'd own a C14 WAY, WAY before I'd ever consider a Wing. (no offence Honda...I owned 3 of you)
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
Thank You! CRocker and eliven315  I will look at both of those!

I once bought a new front fender for the 11  and was surprised at crazy high shipping.  I can't remember the details except that the shipping price was as much as the fender itself, (or worse).  I managed a reasonable shipping cost and never concidered doing that again... till this bike. I haven't seen anyone talking about buying new plastics (here) I have some racing buddies that talk about it all the time... but that's racing I guess?

I also need a really great backrest for this bike (and trunk?)  I'm guessing it's fairly common knowledge BUT the "knowledge" on this forum is superior and (probably) not as motivated by the "sale" then it is by the "truth".   It's very important because I'm trying to get my wife to join me on the bike more (and SHE's the one that actually picked this bike out!!, long story)  but she doesn't want to ride without one and I refuse to buy a "G wing" for a back rest LOL! (as if) and I'd own a C14 WAY, WAY before I'd ever consider a Wing. (no offence Honda...I owned 3 of you)

I like this trunk, 'cuz it has LEDs.  I'm sure that others will have a bunch of recommendations...
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=2&menu=DB%20Trunk%20Series&product_id=21&s=prod.php

The key latch on this trunk isn't the most secure thing in the world, but it get's the job done.  I'd suggest that anything valuable probably should probably be stored in your sidebags, as those are a bit more difficult to break into.  That being said, my trunk has survived a few tipovers now.

If you like this one, I'd recommend scanning Ebay for it (it is sold under a couple of brand names), as you'll probably find a better deal there.  It comes in at least two sizes, you'll want the larger one.

I hear a lot of guys here talking about Givi as well.  The Givi's look a little more solid construction wise.

I used some square tubular steel to build a mount to attach the trunk to the case, using the plastic luggage rack bolt holes to mount it (those bolt to the frame).  The thread in the C-10 Accessories has a similar suggestion to what I did.  His is prettier, mine is just functional...

I've attached a couple of pics showing how this trunk looks.  I chose to mount it level 'cuz I like it that way, others have suggested angling it forward, to match the angle of the sidebags.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 04:39:55 AM »
JCWhitney has a couple of top boxes, wont break the bank, work just fine

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »
Get a trunk so you will have somewhere to put stuff and also a back rest for your wife.  Target sells a large black cutting board if you are trying to make a cheap one.  Murph sells brackets also that make it easy to mount a trunk.  I built my rails from an old beat up trailer awning frame.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:48:05 AM »
Murph's trunk rails (not my bike)...
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:56 AM »
The plastics are made from ABS.  Legos are made from ABS.  To do repairs, make sure you scratch down to plastic so whatever you use will stick (meld, bond, etc.).  To make your own slurry, put Legos and a small amount of MEK (found at Lowes and HD) in a glass or preferably metal sealed container for a few days.  I used an empty SeaFoam container.  Add just enough MEK to make it like toothpaste.  It takes a few days to melt them completely.  Dab this paste onto any fracture or shape and let it dry for a few days.  Hold in position for at least a day with clamps or weights if necessary.  Add fiberglass cloth or pieces of window screen if necessary.  It hardens and sticks as if it manufactured that way.