Author Topic: STRIP BLACK PAINT OFF WHEELS.....suggestions  (Read 1374 times)

Offline bigthaw

• C14 2013
STRIP BLACK PAINT OFF WHEELS.....suggestions
« on: October 11, 2020, 07:19:50 PM »
I have to get the Black paint off my new to me '13 black C14  wheels.......thinking about blasting them at a powdercoater....anyone done this? Just cant see using aircraft stripper and doing it by hand...it would kill my back...can't....suggestions?... hate black wheels on my bikes, anyone blasted them?...
btw black 2 bros slip on for sale...
2013 ,   C14, lotsamods...,Delkevic,VStream, MRA mini screen, risers/wedges, 190/55, sargent seat, fenda extend...LED headlights...only bike bought new, 1974 Z1B Kaw 900 at Arts Kawasaki Ocala Fl.$ $2400 otd. 1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk;$495 in'67 w 2000 mi.
 Don't be a Nimrod, confound the globilists

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: STRIP BLACK PAINT OFF WHEELS.....suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:49:34 PM »
powder coat or ebay...buy a set and sell a set

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:25:17 PM »
I have to get the Black paint off my new to me '13 black C14  wheels...... hate black wheels on my bikes

Don't know how to get them to being properly silver, but I can certainly relate to your desire.  Not sure why Kawasaki changed them in the first place.  Perhaps black is easier to keep clean looking or something, but I think silver looks SO much better.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 02:48:36 AM »
 :rotflmao:
I had mine powdercoated black as I have never liked silver wheels. Each to their own  ;D

You can either get yours powdercoated silver, or if you want bling-bling, get them media-blasted and polished, then lacquered.
Other options, as others have suggested, would be to buy a set of silver ones and then sell your black ones.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Check locally for a company that will strip the wheels. They dip them in vats of stripper and it’s usually not too expensive. I’ve stripped lots of powder-coat and it is a PITA. Very tough stuff.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:16:53 PM »
Are you looking for a specific color, or just bare edges? I had silver wheels, bought black wheels and used aircraft stripper to clean them up as seen. I spent about $20 on stripper/gloves/tape/rags and this really needs to be done with the wheels off of the bike. Sandblasting will not leave the bright OEM finish that is under the paint, and they can't make the sharp defined line along the edge. 
IBA #18591

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »
Are you looking for a specific color, or just bare edges? I had silver wheels, bought black wheels and used aircraft stripper to clean them up as seen. I spent about $20 on stripper/gloves/tape/rags and this really needs to be done with the wheels off of the bike. Sandblasting will not leave the bright OEM finish that is under the paint, and they can't make the sharp defined line along the edge.

I spent $20 on a stripper once...  :facepalm:

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 04:23:11 PM »
Maybe find someone that wants to swap?
If I was closer, I'd swap my silver wheels with you. I'm probably going to have them powdercoated gold anyway.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
I spent $20 on a stripper once...  :facepalm:
:rotflmao:   gloves and tape,too?

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
I did the same as ZRX mitch, stripped the outer edges. I used regular household paint stripper & course steel wool, paint comes off pretty easy. I painted the centers with a rattle can, still looks good after several years & at least 75,000 miles.

I probably spent $20.00 also, stripper, paint & steel wool.

Do not sand blast if you want the shiny look.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:05:43 AM by Justcliff »
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
I am surprised the bare metal holds up so well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 04:24:11 PM »
A touch of Mothers aluminum polish once per year is all it takes.
IBA #18591

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
A touch of Mothers aluminum polish once per year is all it takes.

Exactly right, once or twice a year. If you're really annal & want them to look like mirrors just do them every few months.

I use semichrome polish, same as I've done since the 70's. Great stuff!
Cliff

IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »
Exactly right, once or twice a year. If you're really annal & want them to look like mirrors just do them every few months.

Meh, too lazy for that :)  Plus, I don't really want bling :) :)

I'll stick with my silver powdercoat.  Although it can be a pain to get dark brake/road grime out of the crevasses.

Offline bigthaw

• C14 2013
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 09:10:40 PM »
Thanks all for the response...pics look great....maybe i'll just do the edges and not the spokes....the good pictures got me thinking now...!!!!
   Thanks guys................glad i asked ...!!
2013 ,   C14, lotsamods...,Delkevic,VStream, MRA mini screen, risers/wedges, 190/55, sargent seat, fenda extend...LED headlights...only bike bought new, 1974 Z1B Kaw 900 at Arts Kawasaki Ocala Fl.$ $2400 otd. 1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk;$495 in'67 w 2000 mi.

Offline bigthaw

• C14 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »
ZRX and Justcliff...what color tape did you use...blue? what brand tape....??

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 06:18:58 AM »
ZRX and Justcliff...what color tape did you use...blue? what brand tape....??

I really have no idea, that was a long time ago & my memory is long gone. It was whatever I happened to have the most of at the time laying around. Blue, green, beige, electrical, packing or a combination is the best I can tell ya. Scratch the green, don't think I've ever bought any of that.

I'm pretty sure that the paint was wheel paint from the parts store though.
Cliff

IBA#66047

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
I used blue painters tape. Apply it so that it covers some of the rough center between the spokes and some of the smooth part that you will strip, and press the tape firmly against the wheel. Press and roll a socket over the tape along the sharp edge between the rough center and smooth area, cutting the tape along that sharp edge and giving you a very sharp line to separate the stripped area from the center that will not be stripped. Apply stripper, wait, wipe off the bubbled paint. Repeat as necessary.

IBA #18591