Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 242771 times)

Offline Lone-Rider

Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
I ended up getting a used shield from another guy, so no longer need to try these.

Off to whoever is next instead.

Offline Kyleb

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »
I'd like to give them a try...correct me if I'm wrong but it doesnt look like anybody is in front of me since lone rider is out of it.  Pm with address sent to kinetic1. 

Offline fsr402

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2012, 09:04:10 AM »
I would like to get into this also. The stock works well for me but when it's all the way up the air is really turbulent around my head. Thinking 2 to 3 inches higher would be about right.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
Sent off to Kyle today. They say to expect delivery no later than 7-30-12. US Postal service.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
BTW A huge thank you to DonB for sending these out into the world. We all really appreciate it.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline fsr402

« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2012, 05:23:11 AM »
My address was sent to Kyleb for when he's ready to move them on. No hurry, give them a good test.

Offline Kyleb

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
Windshields will be sent to fsr402 on Monday

Offline Kyleb

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
Shipped out today, also thanks to DonB.

Offline amahoser

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »
Hello all.
Over the past few months I worked with Paige over at Aeroflow to design a screen for my Connie 14. He had my bike for a while testing different designs and shapes. The screen is finally done and I am very happy with it. Much improved over the original screen on my '11 C14. I had his final prototype screen on my bike for quite a while and I now have in possession a production run screen. I told Paige about the Try A Windshield for Free thread on this site and he is allowing me to send out the prototype screen to be part of the program. Whoever has the screens, PM me with your address and I will send you the Aeroflow Prototype screen. Keep in mind, it is a prototype that has been hand cut and formed. It is just like the production run "Tall" screen Aeroflow is selling but this one is hand formed. Also there are a few registration / center marks on the screen. But for evaluation, it should be perfect.

Paige at Aeroflow had my bike for several months and logged a couple of thousand miles testing different configurations and screen shapes. I spent a lot of time evaluating the different screens (I think he went through 4 or 5 prototype shapes before coming up with the final one). He also tried additional wings and diffusers  but they didn't seem to add anything to the final screen.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the screen but I dont have any experience comparing it to any other screen on the C14 besides the stock one. I am very interested to hear the reports!

So again, whoever has the screen now (or is next), PM me and I will send you the prototype Aeroflow screen to be included in the windshield collection.

Jose Soriano

Offline fsr402

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
Hello all.
Over the past few months I worked with Paige over at Aeroflow to design a screen for my Connie 14. He had my bike for a while testing different designs and shapes. The screen is finally done and I am very happy with it. Much improved over the original screen on my '11 C14. I had his final prototype screen on my bike for quite a while and I now have in possession a production run screen. I told Paige about the Try A Windshield for Free thread on this site and he is allowing me to send out the prototype screen to be part of the program. Whoever has the screens, PM me with your address and I will send you the Aeroflow Prototype screen. Keep in mind, it is a prototype that has been hand cut and formed. It is just like the production run "Tall" screen Aeroflow is selling but this one is hand formed. Also there are a few registration / center marks on the screen. But for evaluation, it should be perfect.

Paige at Aeroflow had my bike for several months and logged a couple of thousand miles testing different configurations and screen shapes. I spent a lot of time evaluating the different screens (I think he went through 4 or 5 prototype shapes before coming up with the final one). He also tried additional wings and diffusers  but they didn't seem to add anything to the final screen.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the screen but I dont have any experience comparing it to any other screen on the C14 besides the stock one. I am very interested to hear the reports!

So again, whoever has the screen now (or is next), PM me and I will send you the prototype Aeroflow screen to be included in the windshield collection.

Jose Soriano

I have them right now. Been enjoying the Cal-SI shield and just waiting for someone to say they wanted them. I'll PM you.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
Hello all.

Jose Soriano

Got some pics?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
Hi fsr402, I'd like to give them a try. Not in a hurry if you want to give the prototype Jose mentioned a try, then when you're ready you can send me the lot. Thanks.  Tony
Any ship can be a minesweeper once.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
Hi fsr402, I'd like to give them a try. Not in a hurry if you want to give the prototype Jose mentioned a try, then when you're ready you can send me the lot. Thanks.  Tony
I sent him a message so I'll give him a day or two to reply and I'll let you know.
PM me your address and you will be the next to get them.

Offline amahoser

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
 fsr402, just PM'd you before reading this. I won't be able to send the screen until this weekend at the earliest. Let me know if you want to the the Aeroflow screen or just send it to  tonywaters.

Jose Soriano

Offline fsr402

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2012, 05:12:00 AM »
I have not got an address for tonywaters yet so I guess send it to me and I'll add it to the box. After trying it out of course.  ;D

Offline amahoser

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Windshield was sent last week and FSR402 confirmed that he received it.

Wally_Games, sorry, didn't see your request for pics... check out http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/Kawasaki_Concours_14.htm for pics.

Thats my bike in the pics but Paige's dog. (Wish he was mine!).

I had a full write up on the other Concours forum of the entire testing and and evaluation process that Paige made me go through. Also, there are pics of Prototype #4, the last prototype before the final design. He had my bike for quite a long time! I have to say that Paige at Aeroflow is a perfectionist. Paige, myself and two other testers spent months and thousands of miles on my bike making sure the final design was just right. I seriously doubt that any other windshield manufacturer goes through all that when they make an after market screen for a bike.

Jose Soriano

Offline fsr402

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2012, 07:41:39 AM »
Got that shield installed last night. Looking like tomorrow is the only day this week they are not forecasting storms. Hope to ride her tomorrow to test the shield and then will be shipping the three shields off to tonywaters.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
Got to ride today so have tried all three.

My thoughts on them.
At 5' 11" with a 28" inseam, stock '08 seat and 1.375 bar risers.

I find the V-stream to be huge and hideous. It looks miss-shaped and out of place. Also moved like a belly dancer at highway speeds. All the way down gave me nasty turbulent air and all the way up I was looking thru it. I would never buy this screen for my bike. Others my like it though.

Cali-Sci worked great for me.
All the way down gave me enough air to help cool me off in the 90* heat. Though the wind noise is there it's not unbearable. All the way up I get no wind on my helmet and makes for a nice ride with it about 2 inches below my sight line. I have had the pleasure of putting a few hundred miles on with this screen and will most likely be buying one this winter.

AeroFlo - As of now I only have 15 miles on it from my morning commute. First impressions is that this is the shield I would want for cold weather and long distance riding. May need to get one before I take on the Iron Butt next summer.
All the way down I get some wind on the helmet but it's clean and the noise is not bad. Half way up puts it about the same height as the Cali-Sci all the way up. There is absolutely no air hitting my chest or helmet. The only wind I get is on my hands and that ends just past the wrist. With some air wings it would be like you were in a bubble. All the way up it's to tall for me as I'm looking thru it.
As with all tall shields it moves around a bit at speed but no where near as bad as the V-Stream. 
I'll get it on the highway after work to see how it does there (hit max of 65 mph on the way in) then I'll get them boxed up to ship out.

Thanks so much to all that have donated these shields and set this up. What a great way to try something before dropping the cash to buy it.

Offline amahoser

« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2012, 01:17:48 AM »
My experience with the Aeroflow is kind of like yours at the speeds you mentioned.

I'm 5'9 with a 32" inseam. Baldwin GT seat (taller than stock) and Wedges. I usually sit straight up (not slouching) and my butt is all the way back in the seat so I probably sit taller than most people that are my height.

At lower speeds (under 65mph) I see what you are talking about. Nice cone of silence. For me, the amount of slight breeze is enough to keep me cool. Nice to be out of the blast of wind. I too tend to have the shield at about halfway up. All the way up, I look through the screen.

At higher speeds (80mph and above) The stock windshield lifting system tends to push the windshield down a bit. At full up, I am now just peeking over the shield. At speeds such as this, I tend to have the windshield at 3/4 up. With the shield all the way down, I get a nice smooth blast of air on my chest.

The amazing thing about the Aeroflow shield, in my opinion, is the difference in turbulence between the stock shield and the Aeroflow. The stock shield has so much noise and turbulence that is almost unbearable. The Aeroflow has virtually no turbulence noise at speeds below 65mph. At 80 and above, I just get slight wisps of turbulence. It really is amazing.

I've ridden in 100 degree temps and the Aeroflow seems fine but then again, I havent tried the other aftermarket screens.

Aeroflow does make the screens in 3 sizes. The screen I sent to you for the demo package is a Large screen. Maybe one of the shorter shield would be to your liking?

EDIT TO ADD:
oh yeah.. Paige at Aeroflow designed some trick hand wings but I felt the bike didn't need them... I just realized from reading your findings that I might be a bit off the mark because of my bikes modifications.... I have Wedges installed on my bars which (among other things), brings the bars closer together. That difference, along with your bar risers and lower 08 mirrors could be the difference. I'll talk to Paige about this...

Jose Soriano

Offline scav8tor

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »
I received the shields yesterday and put the Aero on. After all the info from fsr402 and amahoser, I couldn't wait. My ride to work, 30 miles in 60 degrees with my mesh gear on (ATGATT) was very comfortable. I have been using an MRA shield that is about the same height as the stock but has an adjustable spoiler at the top. Being 6' and 32 in inseam, the MRA has never provided complete coverage without ducking down. I like it because being in South Carolina, most of the riding is in 60+ days and it's nice to have a breeze through the mesh gear.

The Aero provides great protection and full up is just under my eye level. Full up it completely blocks the wind and I could hear the bike like never before. Even tires singing on the pavement. I wear full face and ear plugs. Very different experience from the MRA. I can see that for my winter riding it would be a great shield. Not sure I would use it for anything above 80 degrees or so.

My commute has a 12 mile stretch of interstate and at 80 the shield moves around some. I am wondering if the stress on the shield mounts might be excessive with the turbulence behind/beside trucks? Any thoughts from anyone using tall shields long term?

Thanks to those that started this try it before you buy it and have kept it going. Also thanks to Paige/Aeroflow and amahoser for adding the Flow shield. Anyone ready for them after I've had them a little while?

Any ship can be a minesweeper once.