Author Topic: Try a windshield for free....  (Read 243136 times)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Re: Try a windshield for free....
« Reply #400 on: September 04, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »
  IF possible may I be added to the small screens as well?  Read my observations below and please chime in...thanks.

I have wind noise I am dealing with. Been reading quite a bit about earplugs and noise canceling headphones (nothing that fits in helmet so far).  Here is what I did today.....
   1. bought and tried 2 different styles of earplugs from 3M.  Regular foam and a pleated kind on a string.  Hard to get the foam just right and the others fit and blocked out most of the outside noise.....but still had the low rumble and can not hear my surroundings.

2. While riding on a back road I decided to put the screen all the way down and actually stand up a little on the pegs and noticed the low range noise totally gone!  Still had the lighter regular wind but no buffeting. 

3. Did same experiment without any earplugs and same thing.....stood up a little and no low buffeting just regular wind!

4. For got to mention with the shield all the way up it pulls me forward.

5. with screen all the way up and just ducking a little it actually is totally quiet, that is why I was thinking of a slightly larger shield or at least one that relieves the back pressure.

The wife was asking me if I had this on the Vmax and I did not remember the low tones at all....now I know it is the shield!

Now the questions:

Anyone actually use a smaller shield and get rid of the buffeting?

How about using a small set of washers under the shield to lift it up a little more to get more wind inside the shield to lower pressure?

Now that I know it is a matter of testing aftermarket shields I guess........thoughts on trying the small shields also?

There is some truth to that.  The stock windscreen on my old 650 was much taller, but the buffeting and wind nose was TERRIBLE.  With a Zero-gravity bubble, it was much more tolerable.  Not sure if there's a "Small" set out there... I know theres a medium and large tho.

USER - WHAT THEY WANT TO TRY

tfly - Currently in posession of Large screens
muguvian - Currently in posession of Medium screens

Jmkreege - Medium?
Rixtrix - Medium
JimH - Large (small if available?)
Stephen.G.Fiddes - Medium and Large

EDIT:  To update the list with current info
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:13:06 PM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline tfly

« Reply #401 on: September 04, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
I just got the Large ones(3) and have no interest in the smaller ones.

Offline Jim H

« Reply #402 on: September 05, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
 Wow, just read thru the entire post.  No one shield fits all that is for sure!  I am on the list for large and (small) that would be the medium then with the large correct.  Still the 6 floating around?  Thanks, again this is a great thing and it was great to see the manufacturers adding to the initial offering.  Cool!!!

Jim H.  (Eastern central Pa just north of Allentown)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #403 on: September 06, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
I've asked to be included in the list, how do I actually get on it??
I'm about an hour+ from Jim H in Allentown, PA.
And I'm interested in the taller (+2") windscreens.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Jim H

« Reply #404 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:48 AM »
  Hey Jim (Walker) we still have to get together.  It would be no problem to meet you part way.....or even come up here where I have more open areas (back roads) to test them together.  You going out today?  I will send you a pm.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #405 on: September 08, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

I've asked to be included in the list, how do I actually get on it??
I'm about an hour+ from Jim H in Allentown, PA.
And I'm interested in the taller (+2") windscreens.

Hey Jim (Walker) we still have to get together.  It would be no problem to meet you part way.....or even come up here where I have more open areas (back roads) to test them together.  You going out today?  I will send you a pm.

That is what I would suggest.  When I get the screens, I'm getting together with another gentleman locally (possibly 2) to test them out together. 

Jmkreege - Medium?
Rixtrix - Medium
JimH - Medium and Large (W/ Walker18?)
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #406 on: September 11, 2014, 06:33:22 AM »
  That is what I would suggest.  When I get the screens, I'm getting together with another gentleman locally (possibly 2) to test them out together. 
Works for me! Plus it'll shorten the list much quicker by doubling up..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #407 on: September 11, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
Jmkreege just replied to my PM, and took his name off the list.  Rixtrix is up next for the Mediums.

Rixtrix - Medium
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline tfly

« Reply #408 on: September 11, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
I have large and plan to contact jimh next, unless someone can point out someone that was skipped. I will be done testing after this weekend.

Offline Rixtrix

« Reply #409 on: September 14, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
Jmkreege just replied to my PM, and took his name off the list.  Rixtrix is up next for the Mediums.

Rixtrix - Medium
PM sent for the mediums !

Offline Jim H

« Reply #410 on: September 15, 2014, 04:15:03 AM »
  Got email from TFLY about the large....did not get anything about the med? 

Can't wait....44 out this morning!  BRRRRRRR.

Offline tfly

« Reply #411 on: September 16, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Large on their way to Jim H.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #412 on: September 16, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
To no one in particular: Are these the same windshields that have been floating around on this forum since something like 2009? Really? Do they have "Killroy was here" carved into them yet?  ;D

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jim H

« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
Large on their way to Jim H.

They literally just got here. I unpacked and discovered a sad thing....the Cali Sci has a corner busted off.  I will try to do a pic.  All others are fine.  I think it was just to big for the box?

I just left an email and pic with Cali Sci to see if it can be repaired easily?

Marks response from Cali "Hi Jim,

I don't know how to fix that. Weld-on acryl;ic cement will join the two pieces together. Then you'll likely need a reinforcement behind the two pieces holding them together - perhaps a 1.5" x 3" piece of mild steel or aluminum? - screwed to the two pieces. Or perhaps a strip of acrylic 3" x 1" glued to the back of the joint? I dunno, we throw things like that away and start over.

Mark

On 9/18/2014 3:10 PM, Jim Horrocks wrote:

I am part of a concours owners group trying sheilds that are being passed around.  I just got the package and a tip was broken off pretty cleanly.  Can this be fixed with something I have
available?  Again,  I just got the box and opened it and found it broken.....pic included.  Thanks.....

Northampton, Pa.

Jim Horrocks

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:25:16 PM by Jim H »

Offline tfly

« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
The broken piece was not in the box :'(

Offline Jim H

« Reply #415 on: September 19, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
 Yes,  look at the pic, I found it at the bottom of the box.  Clean break,  thought it could be fixed but does not look good from what Cali Sci said.  Will try it anyway for giggles and see what happens.  Will be a week or so till I get to try these all.  I do have the Cee Baileys on and ready for my comute today however and hopefully a couple hundred mile test tomorrow. 

Offline Rixtrix

« Reply #416 on: October 13, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi guys,
just wrapped up my time with the medium sheilds and have PM'd the next in line. Just thought I'd share my findings.  First off some basics for comparison:
I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam, stock seat,stock bars(no risers) and wear a Bell Star helmet(yes it's noisy but the ventilation is AWESOME)
All the tested mediums were much nicer than stock.
The Cal-Sci had nice smooth airflow in all positions,a tad quieter than stock in the fully raised position however at speeds above 70 there was quite a bit of buffeting of my helmet constantly rattling my head from side to side. Consequently my 2nd least favorite(using stock as my least favorite).
The Cee Baileys was similar in smooth airflow at all heights but offers just a shade more coverage width-wise. also a tad quieter than the stock screen. I had no buffeting at any speeds,hiway or not and it is the THICKEST of all the sheilds-moves around very little. HOWEVER because it is the thickest the mounting bolt shoulders never seemed to bottom out on the mounting bosses. It seems it should come with some thin spacers to be properly mounted-otherwise the mounting bolts can never be tightened securely-they are crushing into the sheild. Not a huge issue,but something to be aware of-don't overtighten the mounting hardware.
The V-stream has all the qualities of the above(smooth airflow at all speeds,whether up or down) but being the widest has the best protection of them all-protction out wide enough to cover my shoulders-great for cold weather and rain protection but not sure how it will be in the summer. I would have chosen it to be my favorite EXCEPT that it is the thinnest of all the sheilds- this thing flexes like crazy on the hiway! Granted it was a windy day but the airflow on my helmet varied about 4" because of the flex.  So it ended essentially being my favorite-at least at this time of year. I'm located in MA,by the way so it's been a little chilly lately-temps have ranged from 30-64  that I have been riding in.
So-I'm putting my name in line to check out the larges as all three of these shields never cleared my helmet. Windblast was directed to about 2/3 -3/4 of the way up my helmet. I was hoping to find one do-it-all sheild but looks like I'll have a winter/hiway sheild and a summer sheild. Oh-one note I forgot to mention-the V-stream had the highest arc in the center making it the tallest and coming close to my line of sight. Also,because the V-stream and Cee Baileys are more contoured they also reflect dash lighting and headlights differently than the stock or Cal-Sci shields-nothing bad but you just see reflections were you normally didn't at night. Ok-that the list of findings that I recall/ have wriitten down-on to the next ! And thanks again to all those who have donated these sheilds !!

Offline Jim H

« Reply #417 on: October 13, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
 Great info and I replied to Rixtrix.....now my findings on the large (and I have been contact with Walker18, just setting up the switch).

My favorite is the Cee Bailey which if I have it correct is the Ultra Tour Dome.  It is 4" taller then stock when lining up the holes.
It does a great job about 1/2 way up or a touch more.  Not bubble quiet but pretty close.  Putting it all the way up really blocks the wind but was not necessary.  I put a few hundred miles on this one.  I think it might get a little warm on 90* days....

They AeroFlow was also a good screen as far as quiet, but does not look like it fits on the bike....it follows none of the bikes lines.....so I can't get past the look.

The Cali Sci even with the corner broken when I got it worked well.  It was just too big for me.....did not like looking thru or over it....seemed like a big sail and effected my gas mileage for sure. 

I decided to try an experiment with the stock screen.....if you look at the CB you will notice the nose is cut higher then stock and also sits further away from the bike to allow more air under the screen to even out the pressure. I put spacers in under the stock screen and got it a good 1/2" further away from the bike and it made an improvement with airflow....but it was just a few inches too short to work for me.  I might still try that along with either cutting a Cali sci type hole or just notch the nose a little higher as well.
  And my thanks for those who got this going!!! Kudos!

Jim

Offline Jim H

« Reply #418 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
  It is official,  I handed off the large to Walker18 (Jim) at the Phillipsburg NJ Quaker Steak and Lube!   

Jim

Offline Rixtrix

« Reply #419 on: October 16, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
Ok-officially putting my name up to try the large sheilds. Sounds like Walker18 has them now- anybody else waiting ??