Author Topic: Congrats to SpaceX!  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Conrad

Congrats to SpaceX!
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:46 AM »
An incredible accomplishment! Not just the perfect launch of the main rocket but the return, with precision, of two of the side boosters to the landing pads.

If you didn't see it yesterday you really should watch, it gave me goosebumps!

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/technology/future/spacex-falcon-heavy-launch-mainbar/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCc16uozHVE

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Congrats to SpaceX!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:49 AM »
I want my money back.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:37:58 AM »
Have a listen to this while you wait for it G.

David Bowie – Space Oddity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:06:27 AM »
https://youtu.be/j73OsXo19vI

Tesla Motors, SolarCity, and SpaceX—a few of his highest-profile projects—have relied heavily on government subsidies. According to a 2015 article in the Los Angeles Times, these three companies "together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support."Apr 28, 2016

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:17 AM »
You're such a Debbie Downer..   However, I do have one criticism of the the event.  They were posting speed and altitude in metric.  Metric doesn't mean s**t to me.  Also, the Saturn V was larger, faster, carried more payload, more manly, carried passengers, and made more smoke.  Yes, Spacex has reusable boosters.   I mean what next, going to Mars, picking up some Martians and bringing them back here to kill us all?   Any why on Earth, is he sending Tesla vehicles to Mars?  He can't sell them here?  Is it cheaper to build Tesla's on Mars with Martian labor?  They are the new immigrants and I can say I certainly don't like this new turn of events. >:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 05:34:21 AM »
I would have been impressed if he would have launched his own thieving ass to Mars. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
Such negative vibes...

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »
the most impressive part of that for me was the side by side landings of the boosters, it was like an episode of Thunderbirds
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:27:23 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
I know it was just a test but why not put a useful payload on it anyway?

And G, I agree with you about Mr Musk but I wonder if they still did it for a bargain compared to today's NASA.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
Did the center stage land correctly on the ship? Wonder what the weather/wave/wind envelope is to do that. I would think the ship cannot be rocking too much for that.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
Did the center stage land correctly on the ship? Wonder what the weather/wave/wind envelope is to do that. I would think the ship cannot be rocking too much for that.

not sure where it hit but one of the rockets failed and it ploughed in at speed according to the reports Ive heard
--

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »
The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour about 300 feet from the drone ship. As a result, two engines on the drone ship were taken out when it crashed, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press call after the rocket launch. “[It] was enough to take out two thrusters and shower the deck with shrapnel,” he said.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
I know it was just a test but why not put a useful payload on it anyway?

And G, I agree with you about Mr Musk but I wonder if they still did it for a bargain compared to today's NASA.

Today's NASA is a cesspool of political climate change correctness and couldn't go into space on a billion dollar bet. Should have had a shuttle replacement ready. Instead they give the American built space station to the Russians.
And screw Mars...we should be industrializing the moon. Supposedly has ice/water which means O2. It's out of the Earths gravity strongest well. yada yada yada

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
And on that positive note, the launch took me back to 4th grade where we took time out of the school day to watch the launch activities.   Good to see a rocket (US) of size take off from Kennedy again. 

What's also interesting to me is the naming of the Falcon 9 using the word 'heavy'.   Back in the 50's the AF used that term on the big boy recon and bomber wings.   For instance, my dad was a crew chief at Ellsworth AFB on the RB-36.   28th SRW, Heavy.  SRW for you youngsters is Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.

I really don't care where Elon gets his money from.  I'm glad my taxes helped support his efforts in space, cars, and solar technology.   At least he's got something to show for it, unlike NASA at the moment who's still piddling with the Mars effort.  I do agree that we should start using the Moon for bases, industrial mining and cheese (not necessarily in that order).

I'm also wondering why we haven't developed the technology to build the rockets in space or the moon where they don't require as much fuel to head to their destinations.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
And on that positive note, the launch took me back to 4th grade where we took time out of the school day to watch the launch activities.   Good to see a rocket (US) of size take off from Kennedy again. 

What's also interesting to me is the naming of the Falcon 9 using the word 'heavy'.   Back in the 50's the AF used that term on the big boy recon and bomber wings.   For instance, my dad was a crew chief at Ellsworth AFB on the RB-36.   28th SRW, Heavy.  SRW for you youngsters is Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.

I really don't care where Elon gets his money from.  I'm glad my taxes helped support his efforts in space, cars, and solar technology.   At least he's got something to show for it, unlike NASA at the moment who's still piddling with the Mars effort.  I do agree that we should start using the Moon for bases, industrial mining and cheese (not necessarily in that order).

I'm also wondering why we haven't developed the technology to build the rockets in space or the moon where they don't require as much fuel to head to their destinations.

you still need to get all the components (including the fuel) up there so that in itself requires fuel.....
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour about 300 feet from the drone ship. As a result, two engines on the drone ship were taken out when it crashed, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in a press call after the rocket launch. “[It] was enough to take out two thrusters and shower the deck with shrapnel,” he said.

:'( unfortunate

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »
you still need to get all the components (including the fuel) up there so that in itself requires fuel.....

I'll leave the details up to you  ;)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
And screw Mars...we should be industrializing the moon. Supposedly has ice/water which means O2. It's out of the Earths gravity strongest well. yada yada yada

gPink, Could you retype the highlighted part in english better word choices?

Overall I agree with most of you, send only unmanned probes to Mars, and let's develop the moon.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 01:28:38 AM »
watch/listen to this, make sure you use headphones!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y&feature=em-subs_digest
--