Author Topic: Two minute mod ?  (Read 10465 times)

Offline Bluegray

Two minute mod ?
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Unfortunately the forum died with the wealth of info. A buddy just bought a Connie after seeing
How well mine performed. He was riding a HD no wonder. His bike's PO had the mod and the bike performs great. He showed us where he had placed a portion of sponge in the carb opening. Will the sponge work by itself or will I have to do other things too? I know Steve had done work on his carbs also.

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
Re: Two minute mod ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
I shoved a used dish sponge in, covering about 2/3rds of the right side.  I have the jet kit coming, but I wanted to try the original method first.  The buttdyno shows increased low end torque, smoother power from 2500 - 4000 rpm, and less noisy when starting cold.

Offline pat8228

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
Im new to this, and I've never heard of putting a sponge in the carb. What does it do? Will it hurt anything? More information on this would be appreciatied.

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
I second this more information thing.

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »
Here's a link to use Google to search the old forums, in this case for "2 minute mod".  You'll need to click where it says Cached.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=site:concours.org%202%20minute%20mod&hl=en

Hope this helps!

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
The two minute mod involves blocking a portion of the airbox off from fresh air.  This in turn makes the bike run smoother.  It makes a vast improvement on low to mid range torque and all but eliminates the stumbble all COnnies seem to have in th 2k RPM range.  It does however cause the bike to run rich, so rejetting is the next step.  Steve in Sunny Florida can clean, rejet, bench balance, and install overflow tubes for $300 shipped.  I had it done this winter and the improvements are nothing short of fantastic.  Well worth the money!
Tori '01

YoDoc

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »
Mas powah? I think I'll wait on that. I'm coming off a Harley, and this bike is already a better ride than I am a rider. :)

Offline medicevans

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
IIRC, SiSF originally asked other people to try the "sponge in the airbox" technique to test on other bikes what he had experienced on his own bike.  Here is what SiSF has said in a previous post:

"....if the only concern was to produce maximum full throttle power, then the most un-obstructed airpath would obviously produce the highest numbers. In this case, there's a whole lot more to the picture. As you know, small carbs have always been used to produce torque, but the price is limited top end power. The carbs on the connie fully support the stock power output, and larger carbs don't help, but that "bigger is not always better" theory didn't translate when Kaw fit the gpz900 airbox (high rpm engine) to the midrange tuned connie engine. By restricting the intake, the part throttle response is really sharp and snappy, which is where most riding is done. The result may be that the WOT power is the same as stock (though i SERIOUSLY doubt it) but the part throttle power is so good the bike really feels much more powerful. If the dyno runs (wot) follow those of my bike, even the dyno sees the torque increase below 5000. The hardest part for anyone to wrap thier head around is that WOT HP is really not all that useful to everyday riding. "

I have the 2 min mod w/"power" rejet and the exhaust sprocket Steve offers.  I'm telling you, if you at all can, spend the money.  The kit has totally made me do a complete turn around on this bike.  Power is completely linear now, still a little boost when you hit the power band, but no stumbling around below 3k RPM like before.  The big thing is, MORE USABLE TORQUE and USABLE "POWER" whatever power means to you.  It makes all the difference to the bike. 

YoDoc, I can second the difference between the Conc's I4 and a HD v-twin.  I might kill myself on this bike before it's all over.  Holy cow. 

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
Will this decrease mpg?

Offline throb

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
Should have no effect on mileage if you ride the same way as before.  Problem is, since the bike runs so much more smooth and responsive, you will probably have a tendancy to be a little more liberal with the throttle than before.  This will equate to lower fuel economy, but a bigger &#$( eating grin on your face,  Which is worth more?    ;D 

I have SISF jet mod too, and as stated before, if you can afford it, do it!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
  There's a constant misunderstanding that anything that makes more power kills fuel economy. That's simply not true, if you're able to make things work more efficiently. That's what I've always tried to do.  there's no reason the 2 minute mod jet kit or sprocket would negatively impact your mileage - but if you start having more fun with the better performance and get silly with the throttle, yeah, your mileage will go down - but that's up to you, not the improved tuning. Steve

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
Actually, with regard to mileage, some riders have reported an increase, though slight (read that on here before the crash Im pretty sure). 
It wont take it down though for sure, unless you enjoy the new found feeling, and are using your right wrist more! 
And that of course is the great thing.  Better response, a bit more power, and in better places too, and no hit on mileage like some "normal" jet kits would have.

Of course the above assumes you are not just stuffing a random piece of foam in the airbox, but rather going with the kit. 
I dont know about the foam only, but Id think if you are going to just make it richer, your mileage will drop, though maybe not significantly...

I am still "adjusting" (trimming to the correct size, a little at a time) the foam included with my kit, and man this thing surprises me sometimes! 

Best $300 you can spend on your Connie in my opinion....
Say what?

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
The bike my friend purchased had steve's kit and you are right The performance of the bike is worth
the money. I hope to get my carbs done by Steve in the future but until then if the sponge will work I will try it.  The addition by Steve to stop a hydro lock is worth the money also. It is good to know even though the forum crashed the knowledge is still here. Thanks folks for the help.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Keep in mind that by adding the foam and not re-jetting, you are going to hurt the fuel economy because the mixture becomes to rich. You will notice improved power in the lower rpms, not from the richening but because the foam is helping the airbox dampen the reversion pulses. Over 5000 rpm, and the higher you go, the more the excessively rich mixture will hurt performance. Yuo can add the foam as a TEST  fr the increased lower rpm performance, but know that without the proper jetting, you're not going to help the efficiency. Steve

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Steve that Is good to know.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
i tested the foam in my 86 but did not notice any improvement whatsoever, still had the flat spot around 2k just like it always has, only thing i noticed was pulling up at the gas pumps a lot sooner.

it's possible i have a crack my airbox some where, i hear that's somewhat common, i removed the foam after my third time at the pump

just thought i would add that my carbs have been out of whack for a long time now and maybe thats why no improvement.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
I've had the piece of foam blocking about 2/3rds of the right side of my airbox for about a year now.  The bike does indeed run a little richer, and I've seen a slight drop in MPGs, maybe 1 or 2 mpg  off of 45+ MPG.  However, the low end torque is much nicer now, and the bike handles much better at lower speeds.

I do NOT have Steve's jet kit yet, but am trying to save some pennies...

I have also noticed a small drop in high RPM responsiveness (when I'm canyon chasing with some buddies), but it is very easy to simply pull the foam out if it really bothers me.  That being said, I've had the foam in place all winter/spring.

I'm also at about 4250 feet in altitude, which plays into my mileage figures a bit.  I did some research on altitude versus MPG, and apparently in a lot of cases (Connies included), MPG generally increases with altitude (because the engine doesn't work as hard to draw air in, etc).  Of course, we also have about 10-15% lower HP at my altitude as a result...

I've also noticed that my #4 plug indicates that is running slightly richer than the other cylinders.  This would make sense,  since the right side of the airbox is the side with the restriction.

Short form, yes you can run the 2 minute mod (foam in the airbox) without Steve's jet kit, but it is highly recommended to get the jet kit to get the full benefit of the mod.  Steve's jets are tuned to take advantage of the new airflow characteristics, resulting in increased HP/Torque, MPG, and/or both.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

YoDoc

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
I tell you, that crazy low-end torque from a HD vtwin is awesome. Great for city riding and twisties, I just can't find a Harley that handles well. My Sporty used to shake the handlebars in fast sweepers, and scraped metal bits at angles nuns consider tame.