Author Topic: First long ride (and cold ride) in Jan, suggestions welcome  (Read 5252 times)

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
First long ride (and cold ride) in Jan, suggestions welcome
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
I haven't taken a trip via motorcycle yet but now that I have a C14 I think its about time.

In late January I will traveling from Austin, Texas to Fort Rucker, Alabama. I have taken a couple late night test rides in the cold (30-40f ambient) for around 90 minutes to find my bad spots so I can order gear appropriately, so far here is what I have after testing:

HJC IS-16 helmet with chin flap/guard, clear and smoked visor
Joe Rocket atomic 3.0 waterproof jacket
Cortech Latigo RR Gloves
Bilt waterproof leather gloves
Icon Stryker Vest
joe rocket ballistic 7 waterproof pants
Alpinestars S-MX 1 boots
freezeout helmet liner/head cover
freezeout face/neck shield
freezeout teeshirt
freezeout pants
freezeout glove liners
freezeout boot inserts
motocentric overboot/cover
motorcentric ninja hand covers

I may end up returning the bilt waterproof gloves and just rock the cortech gloves with liners and motocentric overglove.

I have a micro air pump, any/all tools to disassemble most of the bike, tire plug kit etc...

Its going to be around a 2000 mile round trip, 800 there, 400-500 dicking around near Florida/Georgia/Alabama then 800 back over 5-6 days. Originally I was going to take a northern route with more twisty small highways but after checking historical weather data along the paths I wanted it maybe to cold without heated gear. I also don't want to negotiate a lot of ice/snow.

One thing I have thought about is upgrading to a waterproof backpack, getting a pack of 1 gallon zip lock freezer bags to make everything extra waterproof (cell phone, other small electronics). Maybe get an extra set of earbuds/earplugs. Your suggestions on what to get/prepare/expect/avoid etc... are welcome.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: First long ride (and cold ride) in Jan, suggestions welcome
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
Canadian input:

You'll be near the water most of the way, you forgot your bathing suit.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
I grew up in hot places, 35f with windchill is coooolllldddd to me sir.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Electric vest/coat and grips. Stopping every 2 hours or so to move around.  Lucky you can ride that time of year, bring near water for me would mean ice skates instead of bathing suit. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
I have electric grips already. At this point I don't have any electric gear budgeted but I do plan to stop every 90 minutes. I will probably pick up electric gear next year in the summer season when vendors are giving deep discounts for out of season gear.

Has anyone had any good luck with Nikwax? I supposed I could use this to help further waterproof my jacket/pants and backpack (which is not waterproof but somewhat resistant)

http://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Direct-Spray--Fabric-Repellent/dp/B0019GOLO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384451666&sr=8-3&keywords=nikwax

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
I Nikwax/Nikwash my gear every year... good stuff... pay attention to the instructions on water type (hard/soft)... very important!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
Are you using the spray on or the wash in type?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Wash in... I've used it for years... think spray on just came out pretty recent? 
Rob

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Everything looks good, for myself I like a Balaclava better than a separate neck warmer and helmet liner.

A one piece rainsuit helps keep those pesky draft from sneaking in around the waist and other openings. It doesn't offer warmth just cuts down on wind creep, can probably find one for under $100.

If nothing else get a helmet with pinlock to help deal with anti-fog, if your breathing your helmet will be fogging.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »
heated gear
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
I highly recommend a heated vest.  I ride all year long and do 400 mile days down to the Gulf Coast from Tennessee.  The heated vest makes all the difference when riding all day in the cold.  You are not moving around much so you are not generating body heat.  The wind chill will steal away the heat you have and if you bulk up too much you will lose your mobility which is dangerous when riding.

I should carry the heated vest on every ride.  I had to stop and buy a sweatshirt and wear my rain gear over my riding gear when riding in MI UP this past July.  54 degrees in mesh gear did not mix.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »
I highly recommend a heated vest.  I ride all year long and do 400 mile days down to the Gulf Coast from Tennessee.  The heated vest makes all the difference when riding all day in the cold.  You are not moving around much so you are not generating body heat.  The wind chill will steal away the heat you have and if you bulk up too much you will lose your mobility which is dangerous when riding.

I should carry the heated vest on every ride.  I had to stop and buy a sweatshirt and wear my rain gear over my riding gear when riding in MI UP this past July.  54 degrees in mesh gear did not mix.

+1

I ride with the warmnsafe full jacket and heated glove liners.  If I ever plan to ride below 5-10 degrees I'll get the pants and boot liners too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »
finally I get what you guys are talking about when you say °F. I rode a bike the other day meant for the USA market, and it was 37°F outside. That's my limit. Not my body limit (full gear, hand and butt heating are a wonderful thing) but my mental limit, because I don't know if there'll be ice somewhere and I might drop the bike.
No no.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
I rode from Nashville to Knoxville last Wed night with the lowest indicated temp on the bike being 30F.  Find a way, if you can, to keep the wind off of your hands.  I've found I can keep the rest of me sufficiently warm (not comfortably warm, mind you), but my hands and feet start going numb after an hour or so at interstate speeds.  Hand dryers at restaurants are your friend and can warm your gloves and boots up nicely ;).

My personal threshold (no heated gear other than grips, mind you) is 50 and up is comfy.  40-50 is bearable for about as long as I need to ride.  Below 40, and I can't take it for very long.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »
Cold heat, snow ice and silt sand don;t deter me too much.  Right gear is key  ;D

was uber-cold

was ferociously hot

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »
Who is this Jan you speak of?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington