Author Topic: sorting a KTM... its on  (Read 40696 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: sorting a KTM... its on
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:29 PM »
You have got yourself one sweet, sweet adventure bike there Steve! I'm now lusting after a KTM. If things work out financially this year I will be taking a close look at the 1190 ADV R.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
You have got yourself one sweet, sweet adventure bike there Steve! I'm now lusting after a KTM. If things work out financially this year I will be taking a close look at the 1190 ADV R.

Thanks!  And DO IT!!! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 07:49:09 PM »
Packing decal says "sea freight"?

Appears to have been on a ship....   from Austria!

Oh yes indeed, the bike stand was worth the trouble...from an ebay seller at a discount =)

And while I was out playing in the garage, put the first two RAM balls on.  Of course because of the highway dirt bars my old mirror holes will allow for two more (route sheet holder/phone).  Also Paul sent some switches for the top clamp. Crappy phone pic:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
http://www.klim.com/Motorcycle/Adventure-Rally-Jacket.html
You NEED one of these ;D

I know I did!!  Picked one up today, at a much better price than the price shown :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
http://www.klim.com/Motorcycle/Adventure-Rally-Jacket.html
You NEED one of these ;D

I know I did!!  Picked one up today, at a much better price than the price shown :o

congrats!  I got the badlands at a deep discount, its more than enough for me =)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
Of course part of prepping the bike for out west as far as mods is fun,  must not exclude a valve lash check.  Thanks to our own "Steve in Sunny FL" for teaching this at a tech day at his house!

This was my first time, 3 shims had to be replaced.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Everyone warned me the KTM MX style seat is brutal.  After my Everglades ride, I found that to be true.  Seat Concepts has a solution, and I modified my seat with their parts.

The Seat Concepts set-up is nice.  Its still narrow up front where off-road control is needed while standing, and wide towards the rear where but cheeks are planted when sitting.

Lets get together stock seat and a few materials and a staple.

Stock seat shredded and new foam and cover about to go on 

I was amazed at the level of detail in the stitching, also the top is gripping for control while seating, sides slick.

Wowsers I'm happy with the Seat Concepts product.  Time to get some magic desert dust and magic FL mud all over this this

Son of Pappy

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Nice!!  Did you reuse the stock foam or is that part of the kit?  My 450 EXC cover is trail worn, did you know that the foam acts as a slow release sponge? :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
Nice!!  Did you reuse the stock foam or is that part of the kit?  My 450 EXC cover is trail worn, did you know that the foam acts as a slow release sponge? :o

Thanks comes with new replacement foam, and its GREAT!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
So, when do we see the tank and GL pics? ;D  Make sure Teresa is in the shot ;)  No one wants to see your skinny @$$ :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »
So, when do we see the tank and GL pics? ;D  Make sure Teresa is in the shot ;)  No one wants to see your skinny @$$ :o

Chet anything for you.  Burnt some midnight oil (eastern time) tonight on the tank, will have GL pics soon, THAT deserves its OWN post....   

New long distance tank. I can swap between tanks within 5-10 minutes, its only 3 bolts and the fuel line. I'm lovin' it. Should get 250-300 miles out of this Acerbis when full. 

My friend Rico asked for a side by side pic of tanks.  The first thing I noticed is the part between legs stayed slim as the seat, nothing sacrificed there (for control when standing)

Acerbis gave all the required NEW parts, but rather than use my petcock from the old tank i bought a new OEM one (for 5 minute tank swaps, my stock petcock stays on old tank)

Lovin' the mad fuel capacity... hello Blue Ridge, Rockies, Moab, White Rim Trail, Death Valley, PNW, etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
For a guy that "Will Fall Lots" the tank shroud will be a great bit of radiator protection!!  Looking good Steve, what plans have you made for a dedicated GPS?  Or heated grips (Cyclops and the new digitally controlled set).  Short of that I would guess you have 2 last bits, good lights and an oil cooler.  And no, I haven't found a good price yet.  Word to self-do the research dummy.

I saw the CCM 450 ADV bike.  WOW, WOW, WOW.  http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/09/16/ccm-gp450-adventure-bike-coming-canada/#_

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
For a guy that "Will Fall Lots" the tank shroud will be a great bit of radiator protection!!  Looking good Steve, what plans have you made for a dedicated GPS?  Or heated grips (Cyclops and the new digitally controlled set).  Short of that I would guess you have 2 last bits, good lights and an oil cooler.  And no, I haven't found a good price yet.  Word to self-do the research dummy.

I saw the CCM 450 ADV bike.  WOW, WOW, WOW.  http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/09/16/ccm-gp450-adventure-bike-coming-canada/#_

Thanks!  I like phone GPS, or that plus the junk NUVI on the bike with the new Spot Gen3 pictured above. I have heated glove inserts I move bike to bike

I like the looks of the new CCMs but i don't know if the suspension will beat our KTMs, or if i like the idea of a 5 speed for the type riding i do.  It only has 40 HP. I hope they do well and sell everywhere soon, the more competition in the market place and the better/faster/lighter the bikes get

Son of Pappy

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2014, 08:25:54 AM »
Marzocchi suspension.  6th gear is available as an option at the dealership, and the motor is detuned/limited by RPMs, another easily reversed  dealer option.  Bump it back to the actual HP of 51.  It truly is another one of those bikes that just looks better in person.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
Marzocchi suspension.  6th gear is available as an option at the dealership, and the motor is detuned/limited by RPMs, another easily reversed  dealer option.  Bump it back to the actual HP of 51.  It truly is another one of those bikes that just looks better in person.

Thats great to do all that suspension and engine work to match an out of the box KTM's performance, but wouldn't fix the lack of dealer network where I ride in US and Mexico

And it doesn't come in  orange like our bikes  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
Thats great to do all that suspension and engine work to match an out of the box KTM's performance, but wouldn't fix the lack of dealer network where I ride in US and Mexico

And it doesn't come in  orange like our bikes  ;D
The biggest advantage is service intervals.  They are using the same engine from the XChallenge.  And it is light!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:32:06 AM by SOP »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
So, has the sorting slowed down?  Your big trip isn't that far away ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
He is probably out of funds! LOL
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
So, has the sorting slowed down?  Your big trip isn't that far away ;D

Its been sorted!  Over 6 weeks left before the trips begin.

All I have left is install the rear trials tire and the front Michelin top shelf "desert" tire in the garage waiitng to go on the spare rims. Also I still need to wire more USBs and a power cable for the heated gear.  Maybe some axillary lights, or maybe I'll do when i get out west, if at all. Depends how blind I am 1st night ride  ;D

Before I start thrashing it like a rented mule I'll get final pics with the studio lights set up in the garage with the new GIANT LOOP luggage bling mounted.  After those pics the THRASHING BEGINS  8) 8) 8)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Its been sorted!  Over 6 weeks left before the trips begin.

All I have left is install the rear trials tire and the front Michelin top shelf "desert" tire in the garage waiitng to go on the spare rims. Also I still need to wire more USBs and a power cable for the heated gear.  Maybe some axillary lights, or maybe I'll do when i get out west, if at all. Depends how blind I am 1st night ride  ;D

Before I start thrashing it like a rented mule I'll get final pics with the studio lights set up in the garage with the new GIANT LOOP luggage bling mounted.  After those pics the THRASHING BEGINS  8) 8) 8)

Looking forward to the pics and a ride report.