Author Topic: tire change problems in cold weather  (Read 3832 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
tire change problems in cold weather
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
A few days ago I replaced my PR4 GT front tire in ambient temperature of 45 F. (BTW, I got 13,000 miles out of it) I replaced it with a Bridgestone T30 GT. I know from experience it is hard to mount the GT type tires and also hard to mount any tire when it is cold out. I warmed up the new tire by storing it in the house and I warmed up the old tire and wheel with a space heater in the utility room outside. I used a NO MAR to dismount the old tire and when I positioned the center post in the wheel bearing the bearing seal popped out! There was plenty of grease inside and I made sure there was not dirt or grit and just pushed the seal back in place and continued. It was however extremely difficult to mount the top bead. I was working the mount bar with so much force it kept popping out. I finally removed the wheel from the NO MAR and did it the old fashioned way with tire irons and my knees. I removed my new EBC rotor as I was afraid I would slip and wreck it. Finally got it mounted and a test ride proved all is well. Of course I am concerned about the wheel bearings and have order a new set from All Balls Racing.

I am wondering if the sudden temperature change caused the  bearing seal to pop out. The 08 now has 133,000 miles and I have probably changed 15 front tires on  it and this has never happened before.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: tire change problems in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
The bearing seal popping out is the least of your worries, if past experience proves out... ;)   It could be that the seal is somewhat worn.   All Balls does include seals (not the ones the clap) with their sets.  At least they did with mine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
Well, I did a 40 mile test ride after re-installing the wheel and nothing fell off so I think I'm good this time. Hmmmm, I think I'll go check some bolts...

The bearing seal popping out is the least of your worries, if past experience proves out... ;)   It could be that the seal is somewhat worn.   All Balls does include seals (not the ones the clap) with their sets.  At least they did with mine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »
If that seal isn't rotted and the grease behind it looked good, I'd have done the same exact thing.  popped it back on and ride the %$#^ out of it.

my bearings were changed for the h*ll of it at around 80K, and my All Balls had new seals too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
I've done tire changes with a No-Mar in 40 degree temps as well and have never had that problem. Yep I also warm the tire up with a space heater in the house before mounting and use plenty of the nomar lube.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
Those seals can be installed by pushing them in with a thumb. They are not a true press- fit like the olden days but instead seal on the outside of the seal body itself, into the wheel's seal pocket with small rubber ribs (Easy Girls!). Because they are so easy to install and remove, I would not worry in the least about popping one out when man- handling the wheel around over a center post. I would put it back in and forget about it until the next time it is inspected while replacing the tire, etc.

Yep, cold tires are seriously stiff and difficult to mount (Boys!). Rotary mounting / dismounting levers are great but they do not bring the force to the tire in the best possible direction as tire irons do. Personally, I find modern tire irons so nice and easy to use I do not even bother with true tire levers and just use three irons to mount / dismount my tires while they are held on the tire machine (it raises the wheel up where it is easy to work on and holds it securely).

Brian

A few days ago I replaced my PR4 GT front tire in ambient temperature of 45 F. (BTW, I got 13,000 miles out of it) I replaced it with a Bridgestone T30 GT. I know from experience it is hard to mount the GT type tires and also hard to mount any tire when it is cold out. I warmed up the new tire by storing it in the house and I warmed up the old tire and wheel with a space heater in the utility room outside. I used a NO MAR to dismount the old tire and when I positioned the center post in the wheel bearing the bearing seal popped out! There was plenty of grease inside and I made sure there was not dirt or grit and just pushed the seal back in place and continued. It was however extremely difficult to mount the top bead. I was working the mount bar with so much force it kept popping out. I finally removed the wheel from the NO MAR and did it the old fashioned way with tire irons and my knees. I removed my new EBC rotor as I was afraid I would slip and wreck it. Finally got it mounted and a test ride proved all is well. Of course I am concerned about the wheel bearings and have order a new set from All Balls Racing.

I am wondering if the sudden temperature change caused the  bearing seal to pop out. The 08 now has 133,000 miles and I have probably changed 15 front tires on  it and this has never happened before.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
I've done tire changes with a No-Mar in 40 degree temps as well and have never had that problem. Yep I also warm the tire up with a space heater in the house before mounting and use plenty of the nomar lube.

Have you done this with a "GT" tire? I find them to be much harder to  mount. I can do regular ST tires in cold and sport tires are very easy in cold but the GT tires are tough.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Thanks for your reply Brian, I feel better now riding on the old bearings.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
Have you done this with a "GT" tire? I find them to be much harder to  mount. I can do regular ST tires in cold and sport tires are very easy in cold but the GT tires are tough.

Nope, haven't done a GT tire. Didn't know there was that much difference. Thanks for the heads up.