Author Topic: which is more stable, side stand, or center stand  (Read 2356 times)

Offline mellow yellow

which is more stable, side stand, or center stand
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:08:06 AM »
Hello all, as per the title. I would like to know which is more stable during windy conditions. I have a Himalayan which, for those who don't know about this bike, is dual purpose, but stands more vertical than the connie that I use to own.  a few days ago found the bike laying on it's side in the driveway.  it was a moderately windy day and I had a cover on the bike because of rain. so, I would like to know what your take on this matter is. Thanks

Offline connie_rider

Re: which is more stable, side stand, or center stand
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
Often pondered that myself. I think the center stand is best as the weight of the bike is on both legs of the stand.
The side has 1 leg that can fold if the bike rolls.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:24:34 AM »
I guess my answer would be it depends...

The only time I left the C14 on the centerstand would be on concrete only.  I've had issues with it sinking into the asphalt on a hot day on the center stand.  As far as stability I had no issues on the stock side stand.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
It depends on the bike and its stands. They are all different.l
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »
If it gets blown over onto the right side while on the side-stand, then you need to find somewhere else to park it, or else remove the cover when it's windy.
Only other method is to chain it to a post, but make sure it doesn't rub against the post.
Generally side-stand is more stable but if the wind lifts it whilst also moving it forwards, then the stand folds and down it goes on the side-stand side.
Centre-stand is gonna be more stable in high winds, but that cover is a sail and will blow it over on the centre-stand too.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:49:57 PM »
I agree with others.  "It depends"

I know on the C14, in most cases, the side stand is considerable more stable. It is a wider "stance"-  you have to look at the triangle made from the points of contact on the ground.  The further apart, both laterally and linearly, the better.

I "invented" the ultimate- a dual side-stand, in my mind, a long time ago to address just these cases.  It is a second side stand, installed on the RIGHT SIDE of the bike and has a lowering ratchet.  So you would put it on the standard left side, then flip the right stand down and push down on a lever that extends it out to reach the ground and locks it from folding.  This would be EXTREMELY stable.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, no product like it has ever been made.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I might have to cut the side stand down a little.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
I tend to agree with Boomer, in removing any cover, from the bike during high wind instances, and placing it on the side stand, with a solid wall, adjacent..  I have run out from my workplace, and watched my bike teeter totter back and forth on the centerstand, when High winds were blowing, and jumped on the bike, put the side stand down, and still when the hurricane winds were blowing, the bike "wanted to stand up, and try to flip over.."...even with me sitting on it.. freaked me out.. .. I got soaked, during these vents, but the bike didn't flop.. then I began rolling the bike up to where the front wheel, when turned, was in contact with th building.. and that seemed to work the best.. by all means tho, remove the cover, during wind incidents, to remove the "sail".. ymmv.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »
One trick I find that helps is also leaving the bike in gear. Rolling it until the wheel "locks" (for lack of a better term) to help keep it from being pushed by the wind with a cover on. Still, that's really only helpful with the cover on. If anything, I'd try to park up next to a building or wall of some sort, putting the side stand down facing the direction the wind is blowing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 06:05:41 AM »
One trick I find that helps is also leaving the bike in gear.

Yep, I was taught that trick, early on.  Thanks for mentioning it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I might have to cut the side stand down a little.

Why cut down the side stand?
If the bike is too upright, just heat and bend it out slightly.
EZ to do, works well.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »
Why cut down the side stand?  If the bike is too upright, just heat and bend it out slightly. EZ to do, works well.

He might have a [maximally] lowered C14, like mine.  In such a case, it would require a lot of bend.  At some point, the foot would not be parallel-enough to the ground, plus the forces on the stand (increasing the angle) could cause it to fail.  In my case, I did the "proper" thing and replaced it with an adjustable after-market one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
Well, you could always fit an Indian or Harley side stand.  They tend to be longer (easy boys) than the other brands.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »
He has an Enfield Himalayan so bending the sidestand is probably easiest. 😁
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 09:27:21 PM »
Have ridden for many years, even prior to my purchase of a C-10 when I was approaching my "mid life crisis" stage of life. In all these years, like sixty plus, I've learned to appreciate that a motorcycle's natural position is horizontal.

Forget to put your foot down at a stop light? horizontal. Enter a corner at warp speed with your hair on fire, horizontal. Put your bike on the lift for a tire change and it slips off the lift, horizontal. Physics rules!
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »
I've learned to appreciate that a motorcycle's natural position is horizontal.

Yes, it is a constant battle to remain vertical.  Motorcycles are crazy devices, but that's why we like them :)  If it  were easy, they would be far too boring!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 02:02:59 AM »
Have ridden for many years, even prior to my purchase of a C-10 when I was approaching my "mid life crisis" stage of life. In all these years, like sixty plus, I've learned to appreciate that a motorcycle's natural position is horizontal.

Forget to put your foot down at a stop light? horizontal. Enter a corner at warp speed with your hair on fire, horizontal. Put your bike on the lift for a tire change and it slips off the lift, horizontal. Physics rules!

YEP!

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 06:13:50 AM »
Ride into the garage and forget side stand.....horizontal.  Maneuver slowly in a gravel parking lot....horizontal.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
One cocktail too many....horizontal.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »
Pop the clutch with too much throttle, vertical.

Then horizontal.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.