Author Topic: We're doomed!  (Read 19016 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: We're doomed!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:12 AM »
 :deadhorse: :banghead:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »
Ha! I knew that my comment would get someone riled up.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 05:21:21 AM »
 8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:42 AM »
while six out of ten couldn’t name how long it takes to grow a carrot.

Wait, they expect non-farmers would know how long?  That is a bit unrealistic.  We all know it takes between a couple and several months, but I doubt I know anyone who knows exactly how long.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:36 AM »
Wait, they expect non-farmers would know how long?  That is a bit unrealistic.  We all know it takes between a couple and several months, but I doubt I know anyone who knows exactly how long.
depends on whether you want a long or a short carrot ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »

I suppose that might depend on who's doing the 'picking'.    :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »
...(or is that avocado livestock raisers?)...
Brian

Ooohhhhhh, give me a home
Where the 'cado's do roam,
And we eat guacamole all day
OK - I got no more... 

I had a weird image of little green skinned cowboys with a lumpy skin condition, riding little ponies herding bunches of...
Wow - psychedelic, man... (and I was too young in the 60's to have really experienced the whole "tripping" thing...)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Yeah, too wide an input on that. Let's narrow it down.... to you. What do you like in carrots, Mike?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I remember, not so long ago, when we did not have to resort to things like this to ruin a thread, we did it the old- fashioned way, by mentioning KiPass. :-)

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
Years ago a coworker looked out the window and saw the farmer plowing the field and asked what the farmer grew. i told her pork and beans. She didnt believe me but another guy said we would prove it come harvest time.
So about a month before harvest we buried a can of p and b.
 When the farmer started his harvest we took her out and dug up the can and showed her. She swallowed it like a bluegill swallows a worm.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
I remember seeing this video as a kid and having an argument with another kid. He thought it was absolutely true. I couldn't convince him it was a joke.

http://youtu.be/tVo_wkxH9dU

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
So much fun to be had, so little time.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
Gallagher (the watermelon guy- I used to go see him every year when he was on tour) said that farmers are idiots and do it all wrong. He and his family plant fruits and vegetables in the can and this have a LOT of advantages and no down-side. Want some fresh peas in February? Take a pick and shovel out to the garden and there they are, in single- serving containers, ready to go. No worries about yields, insect damage, drought, the narrow window of harvest and consumption before the items go bad. I tells' ya', his system was flawless IMO.

Many years ago, a friend's wife was commenting on how much more expensive tuna packed in oil was than tuna packed in water and how they were all talking about it at work. Husband explains that the price of oil has skyrocketed (this was during the second oil crunch in the US, maybe 1985 or so?). She understands immediately but man, was she pi$$ed the next day when she came home from work, after explaining to her co- workers why tuna in oil was so expensive.

Last story: I actually got my SIL to leave tuna cans open and sitting on the counter-top to allow the 'excessive amounts' of mercury in tuna to settle to the bottom of the can, and then carefully, and without tipping the can, pick the tuna out with a fork. Fun to watch. Same woman is adamant to this day that we have two 'trash' containers (one 'trash', one recycle materials) just because "they" want to break out chops and get more city workers on two trucks but it all goes into the exact same pile. Seriously, and there is no convincing her.....

And it is stories such as those that prevented me from even considering that a raisin was a dry grape after continued pressure and explanation from my wife and kids. Just like my hero, Homer Simpson, who laughed when told that bacon, ham and pork chops all come from some 'wondrous, magical' animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZDZyRaGa8

Brian

Years ago a coworker looked out the window and saw the farmer plowing the field and asked what the farmer grew. i told her pork and beans. She didnt believe me but another guy said we would prove it come harvest time.
So about a month before harvest we buried a can of p and b.
 When the farmer started his harvest we took her out and dug up the can and showed her. She swallowed it like a bluegill swallows a worm.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
You can get all the fun in (Easy Boys!) Jim, you just have to compress it more. Do not just limit your fun interaction to family, friends and, say, this forum. No, no, invite everyone to share in the whimsy that is life. You would not think so but the police, judges, airline personnel, garbage men and even your customers and / or employer are ready..... nay, ANXIOUS to share in good humor.

Why this one time, crossing the US / Can border (into Canada), with two other motorcycles, when the Canuk border control agent asked if I had any drugs or weapons, I answered 'No', then turned around, pointed to the guy right behind me (a gigantic black guy riding a C-14 also) and said 'He has all the weapons and drugs.'. Now that was a double- header because not only did the Canadian agents find it amusing..... after some more discussion and convincing (OK, maybe that was a tactical error but still....) but Maurice (the object of my pointing) sat straight up in his saddle and was blinded in the headlights. Probably thought I had said something inappropriate to the border agents on his behalf, which of course is exactly what I had done. The Agents actually took that pretty well but when Maurice came to the same Agents, and the male asked the same question he also added 'and please do not make any jokes about this Sir', which was even funnier yet.

Now that does not mean there are not limits: my strong suggestion is NOT to run in an airport for any reason whatsoever. Probably best not to reach under the car seat during an active stop by LEO to get a funny item that is there to amuse them. And so forth.

Brian

P.S. I would not try any of those 'funnies' at all at US border control, dem dare peoples have a stick up their collective butts about a mile long. It might be like the old Grouch Marx show where you say the magic word and a jail sentence drops from the ceiling. And while jail (prison actually for a federal crime) <may> be fun, I think some of the other, extra- curricular activities going on make make the entire experience unpleasant, on balance. Then again, if a 'jail house lawyer' is valuable to convicts, perhaps a 'jail house comedian' could get by?

So much fun to be had, so little time.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
A friend learned the hard way about taling in an airport.
Got to the TSA group grope and was asked to remove his sandals.
He said, "Yeah, right. Like I have a bomb hidden there" and immediately knew he screwed up. Off to the pokey. Missed his flight, no refund, and a fine.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
He said, "Yeah, right. Like I have a bomb hidden there" and immediately knew he screwed up. Off to the pokey. Missed his flight, no refund, and a fine.

Those guys have no sense of humor  :o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
Yeah, there are places where one simply cannot do some things anymore. I am not passing judgement because it is extremely difficult to allow freedoms and at the very same time, try to assure safety for the masses, all while some are desperately trying to inflict damage on those masses. So now, any place people gather is coming under vastly increasing scrutiny and new rules of behavior by all officials (those charged with maintaining order and safety on all levels). Places that are hubs of travel, where people gather very densely (and not the CMP kind of density) are even more highly scrutinized. Of course the ultimate spot for traveling and extremely high numbers of people gathered into a <relatively> small space is an airport.

Some years ago a man on board a plane had a panic attack and had to get off the plane (plane was boarding, doors open). He ran off the plane and some distance in the terminal. Of course some LEO yelled at this man to stop, which he did not do (remember, panic attack: no one behaves 'correctly' in that situation so I cannot blame the man running), and was promptly shot. And I do not blame the LEO because by all accounts, he yelled several times for the man to stop and received no response and so took that next step, the only one available to him, and stopped the man directly.

I believe this transcends all political lines, police enforcement opinions and everything else and was simply an extremely unfortunate event that was virtually impossible to prevent, and yet no one did anything wrong, at least as I read the story.

The really and truly bad part of this is, for all of us (people in the western world where security is tightening rapidly) is that it is going to get worse. More scrutiny, more 'rules', more screening and no doubt, more incidents. No way around it that I can see.

Brian

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:16:58 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
It just slays me that one guy puts a firecracker in his pennyloafers, and everyone has to take off their shoes.   >:(
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
It just slays me that one guy puts a firecracker in his pennyloafers, and everyone has to take off their shoes.   >:(

Security "theater."  It is the ILLUSION of security.  We have be forced to give up our rights to privacy, to be free of harassment, to not be tracked, to come and go as we please, to have rapid transport, of keeping our hard-earned money, for the FEELING of being secure.  I don't think it is worth it EVEN IF IT WORKED.... but the reality is shown in study after study which shows that airport security does almost nothing to stop actual threats.

One of many examples:  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-tsa-airport-security-charade-20150608-story.html
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »
Ah, the 'A- team' argument. So what would you have us do Max, nothing more than what was done pre- 911? That is not only political suicide but frankly, reckless.

Would you NOT increase security in our airports? Or would you have the occasional air liner fall out of the sky as a fireball?

Please understand I am not throwing rocks at that position but you have to take responsibility IF that is your position. We have to make a choice, and cannot stand dumb and deaf to reality, so the choices are 1) do something, with all the wrongs and faults of that or 2) do nothing, and allow others to determine the course of our future.

The easy thing is always to complain and find fault in the current situation or others' behavior but what would YOU suggest as an alternative? No scans at US airports? Allowing passengers in the us, or flying to the US, to freely board planes w/out searches or increased security?

If you know of a way to balance security with freedom in a better way, please do not hold it as a secret, share it freely and allow us all to benefit.

So, would you remove airport security? Would you reduce it? Would you 'fall back' to 1960 levels?

Security is as much a pretense as it is a reality. Removing or substantially reducing security in any area is nothing but an invitation for those seeking to do harm to select that [lower / no security] area for attack. England used to be a relatively unarmed country, all the way to law enforcement officers, now they are passing the 30% mark of having their LEO staff armed. Would you stop that and return to non- armed LEOs in England in the name of freedom?

Sorry, but I find the whole issue to be complicated rather than simple. And those with simple answers are the people with answers that will not work. And frankly, while I support thoughtful approach to all problems, I find the thoughtless ranting of the masses to be truly frightening.

So again, I ask you- what is the answer to the balance of freedom and security and how can we move in that direction?

Brian, a BIG believer in the Constitution of the US but who also knows that it is not a suicide pact

Security "theater."  It is the ILLUSION of security.  We have be forced to give up our rights to privacy, to be free of harassment, to not be tracked, to come and go as we please, to have rapid transport, of keeping our hard-earned money, for the FEELING of being secure.  I don't think it is worth it EVEN IF IT WORKED.... but the reality is shown in study after study which shows that airport security does almost nothing to stop actual threats.

One of many examples:  http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-tsa-airport-security-charade-20150608-story.html

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
It would be a confidence builder if the US security protocols included looking for bad people along with guns, knives and fingernail clippers.