Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...  (Read 38996 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2019, 06:47:07 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2019, 06:30:29 AM »
Got the squeal taken out.  Turns out it was a hog caught underneath the rear fender.  Forgot I rode over it.  Seriously folks, turns out to be a combination of things to include replacing the belt, rear pulley assembly and bearing, and cush drive.  No squeal these last two days.  Most of it covered under the extended warranty.  I had to pay for an hour and a half of labor.  I've got 26000 miles on it and the belt was due to be replaced at 30k.  I've got the extended warranty which took care of all the parts.  Belt alone was $239 I think.  Considering with the extended warranty I would have to pay $50 anyway, paying $100 in labor isn't too bad for what they did.  Just hope it holds.  Another guy in our group has the same thing going on with his 16 and is going to get it taken care of as well.  It's a pleasure to ride it again.

The Challengers hit the dealership in Fredericksburg this past Thursday and one of them sold immediately.  Looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.  I hope that Indian and Polaris do well with it.  Not for me though.  I like my Roadmaster.  The Challenger does not have heated grips or seats or the Indian look which kills it for me, but others may like it.  The floorboards appear to be mounted higher so the cornering would be better as far as scraping things.  Mine scrapes all the time as I forget I'm riding a cruiser rather than a sports tourer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2019, 06:38:44 AM »
How much is the doggie in the window?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2019, 06:54:46 AM »
He's definitely not for sale...dealership dog.  He's a cutie pie and loves everyone that walks in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »
I took the Connie in to get a repair estimate for the insurance and my wife picked me up. After I talked to the service gal we went into the showroom. If I would have agreed to trade the C14 in I'm pretty sure i would have rode a '19 Roadmaster home. She really liked the comfy seat and looks. I could see it as a second bike but that ain't happening....  Nice ride.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
Mine's a 16 and it doesn't have all the doodads the 19 has now such as the Nav screen.  19's have the rear jug deactivation feature to alleviate the heat and from what I understand works very well.  The best features on the RM for me were the cruise control, heated grips, heated seats, electric windscreen, and ABS.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »
JUST ASKING, AS A POLITICAL DOUCHE BAG..

where are we going, i.e., with this forum, derived from a very beneficial, and user friendly point, to answer any and all Issues, and to corroborate the concours ownership experience?...

I do not see questions, and viable answers any more.. and pretty much see just government hat/dissertation.

where have WE come to, in this .....?????

and, can we all get back to the original... reason... this place exists?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
Eleven years in on a single model motorcycle (not including the c10 ) with at least two dedicated forums, there is a distinct possibility that new questions are drying up and unregistered guests finding answers without needing to sign in and ask.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »

where are we going, i.e., with this forum, derived from a very beneficial, and user friendly point, to answer any and all Issues, and to corroborate the concours ownership experience?...

I do not see questions, and viable answers any more.. and pretty much see just government hat/dissertation.

where have WE come to, in this ..... ??? ??

Wrong place to ask that question, Rich.  Post it in Open.  It's a good question and more should see it.  Personally, after having owned a C14 from day one for about 10 years I do remember things and will help where I can.  We're all getting older and some like me, have moved on to other bikes and pursuits.  Plus it's getting to be winter and things slow down some. 

Pinkerton has a good point as well.  I started on a C10 back in 2002 so I've been on a Concours from then until 2016 or so.  Kwakers doesn't appear to want to be in the Sport Touring business as we know it, unfortunately.  That isn't helping the cause.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2019, 05:41:08 AM »
I think there is a much bigger picture here than this, or any, forum participation.

We are getting older and younger people are taking our place, as it has always been. And these new people are different, as it has often been in the past. The younger people today, and I am really speaking about anyone under 40 or even 45 perhaps, are different than <most> of us participating on motorcycle forum(s) and far fewer of them ride motorcycles. In fact, I find today's younger adults are extremely different than the generation before them; they grew up in the electronics / communication age and were never interested or participated in more basic, simple things such as general mechanical things such as carpentry (even rudimentary home repairs / upgrades), anything mechanical, including both using and working on mechanical things (cars, motorcycles, tractors, boats, ad nauseum). They are simply orientated very differently in general existence than earlier generations; if you want to do / know something, have fun, 'recreate' and so forth, today's people do it with an electronic screen. So motorcycles are square in the middle of this change: we speak of 'sport tourers' falling off in popularity but it is ALL motorcycles, not a particular type.

To really see this trend, look around at motorcyclists wherever / whenever we collect- we all have gray hair! Sure there are 22 year old squids on sport bikes around but they are a small percentage of the overall motorcycling community. This forum is slowing down because interest in motorcycles is slowing down and it is not a subtle amount or a gradual change. Before long, the entire industry will sort of implode on itself with manufacturers offering fewer and fewer models, and of course fewer manufacturers (speaking of major manufacturers here, not boutique brands).

Seriously, look around at, say, 30 year old male Americans who grew up in suburbia and seek out what they know about and do- betcha' you will find the percentage of that group who can perform mechanical tasks or even know about them is down, way down, compared to those of us over 60. Younger adults today not only do not actually do these things, they do not even know anything about them; I had a conversation with a man in his 30's not too long ago about cesspool problems- he did not know what that was or what they did. Fine and well, so I asked him where he though the waste might go when one flushes the toilet and he got a blank look and said 'I have no idea but it must go someplace'. And that was a college educated, reasonably bright individual (degree in economics).

None of this is a complaint by the way- I grew up being quite ignorant of how many things worked that the previous generations knew about simply because I was not exposed to those things and did not need to know about them- such things as farming for example: corn and peas grow in cans in the supermarket, right? Seriously, I know they are farm crops but honestly, I could not grow vegetables or manage any type of farm environment if my life depended on it..... and it sorta', kinda' does. But I just ignore those things and leave it to others to provide those things and services. As it is with today's younger people- their knowledge is becoming ever more compartmentalized and really, it has to do so so that they can survive in their world. Let's face it, most people older people today are just not skilled with 'today's' things such as cable TV, computers, routers, modems, cyber security, etc., etc.. Ask a very intelligent group of 70+ year old people to explain the basics of inverse kinematics and it becomes pretty obvious that different generations need different skills sets to survive and hopefully, thrive.

So that is my view of what is happening: our time is passing and the things that we do / know / like are fading away. Some will disappear, many will decline and all will be substantially different. It is just the natural order of things....

On the bright side, there seems to be no danger of 'Political douche bags' declining Rich so nothing to worry about regarding standing out.  :rotflmao:

Brian

where have WE come to, in this .....?????

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:14:11 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
Very well considered & written, B.D.F.. Probably the best analysis I've seen on either forum. Thanks.    :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »
Sorry to interrupt, but I noticed that they still have that green Chieftain. I was there shortly after they got that bike in. It was over a year ago if I remember correctly. Can’t believe they still have it. It looks a lot better in person and I’m not even a big fan of the color green. Looks good on that bike tho. The green paint and crome compliment each other well.

In my opinion, the Challenger is going to appeal more to the Victory crowd than those that like Indian. I need to see one in person and hopefully test ride one at some point. Not sure if I’ll like the Challenger or not, but the new power plus motor has caught my attention. It will be interesting to see what other bikes they put that motor in. It will also be interesting to see how much more performance guys like Lloyd can wring out of it with some aftermarket parts and a dyno tune. Definitely some potential there.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2019, 05:06:33 AM »
Challenger isn't for me and I think that you are right on about the Victory crowd it may appeal to.  It's just not Indian enough for me.

As I stated earlier, the squeal appears to be gone.  However, the battery has decided to kick the bucket.  I had replaced the original with a Wicked Start Renegade as it had more CCA to crank over the massive engine this bike has.  The original went 3 years but was showing signs of failure during the cold months.  The Renegade went 9 months and essentially failed when it got cold.  It has a 1 year warranty.  Turns out the reliability of that brand is less than average and their warranty replacement procedures are very specific against the consumer.  Wish I knew that before I bought it this past March.

Instead of buying online again I went with Batteries + Duracell brand US made battery.  Will be installing that today.  It has a two year warranty.  If it goes bad I can take it in and actually talk to someone local.  That means more to me these days.

I brought in the original Indian battery (I've kept it around) and asked Batteries + to test it and they concluded indeed it was bad.  The battery was fully charged yet his tester was saying it needed to be charged again so I wasn't imagining it at least.  It was doing the same thing the Renegade did a few days ago.  During starting it coughed a few times and then started but the clock would reset.  Here we go again.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:03:26 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
I’ve been sticking with either yuasa or interstate batteries for my replacements. Had good luck with both.

I take it that green chieftain isn’t Indian enough either then?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2019, 05:51:38 AM »
One, I'm not in the market to buy another bike but if I were, it would be a Roadmaster.  Two, I'm not really crazy about that green color at all.  But that's the interesting thing with Indian, they have quite the color palette for their bikes so if you don't like a certain color, one you do like will be coming down the pike after awhile.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »
I’m not in the market either, but I like to window shop and see what’s out there. I’m not a fan of Green either but the color of that one just popped.

I like the Icon blue also, but I have yet to see one in person.

I know it was a limited run color like Polaris has done in the past. It would be nice if they would publish the numbers on how many they make in the odd colors. They did a limited run victory Magnum in Blue and Purple just before they shut down the brand.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
Well, I sold the Indian... :'(

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
What can this mean? :yikes: :yikes: :popcorn:
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
What can this mean? :yikes: :yikes: :popcorn:

I think he rode the C14 he sold to his neighbor, again.. and got wood...

8) 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..