Author Topic: I'm just sayin'.....  (Read 6691 times)

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: I'm just sayin'.....
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
Maybe we should start a poll:

Riding in cold weather shows:
1. Our manhood.
2. Our toughness.
3. Our stupidity.
4. That we don't have enough sense to come in out of the cold.
5. Our pioneering spirit.
6. That pirates have better weather recognition skills than us.
7. That we love motorcycling enough to spend 30 minutes dressing and undressing for a 25 minute commute.
8. That we don't understand what sub-freezing temperatures can do to tire traction and human bodies.
9. Other: Add comment____________________

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

1. Our manhood.
2. Our toughness.
3. Our stupidity.
4. That we don't have enough sense to come in out of the cold.
5. Our pioneering spirit.
6. That pirates have better weather recognition skills than us.
7. That we love motorcycling enough to spend 30 minutes dressing and undressing for a 25 minute commute.
8. That we don't understand what sub-freezing temperatures can do to tire traction and human bodies.

All of the above
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
4 & 7 yea that's the ticket...
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
Yeah but if we do that, then we will have to start another poll to define what "cold" is.

Is cold:

1) Less than 68 F
2) When there is a cloud visible on the horizon
3) When you do not sweat enough to lube up the saddle when wearing those backless chaps
4) The calendar tells me not to ride anymore
5) I think I saw a scorpion shiver by the light of the moon in the Sahara desert

Or maybe it is just a case of ‘I know it when I see it’.

Brian

<snip sample poll>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
Is wind chill a facter here?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

it's a rare dry day in the PNW, no rain means you better get your ride in before it does rain, regardless of temps...  :)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Dunno how comparable the wind protection on the C14 is, but I'm quite happy with how the C10 was designed.  It's close enough that if you have minor issues (toes, outside of legs, hands, face/helmet), that some relatively cheap additions can round that out nicely.

I just have a taller windscreen and grip heaters, but a few extra layers of socks and other clothing and I'm quite content for an hour or so in temps above 10 degees F.  I have skinny legs, though...

That being said, after a bad day with an ice patch under a bridge last year, I am now part of the 'bike stays home when temps drop to freezing and below' camp.  35 degrees+ and it's game on though!

MamaKaw may not have gotten things perfect, but it's close enough for government work for me.  Plus, it gives me an excuse to farkle.  Getting that other 10% out of the Connie is much easier than if you start at, say 50% on that other popular US brand (no wind protection for starters).  Plus, Connie parts are usually cheaper than BMW parts...

Now, I hear that guys are quite content in that air pocket behind the fairing on the Goldwing, however, but I don't see too many of those.  Apparently the cool kids don't ride Goldwings...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »
9.  other:  I'm a cheapskate, and my bike gets 40mpg even when it's raining. (or hot, or cold, or windy, or whatever)

The only time I get nervous about riding (with regard to temperature) is 30-35F.  That's when it seems to switch back and forth between ice/water and you can have both at the same time.  In the 20's and below, it is usually cold enough and frozen enough that it is "dry". 
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
This might sound corny, but I ride ALL year round because of my passion for riding. I absolutely enjoy riding and
feel better when I'm riding.  My stress is down, I've had migrains my entire life, 8 yrs old is the earliest that I can remember having one. I use to get them for week at a time. When I was in the Air Force, I had a 6 week battle with them nothing has really helping.  But since I've been riding they are far and few between.  If I get a headache it is usally done by the time I'm riding for a few minutes.
With the correct gear on the outside temp is not an issue.I do have my limitations that is, ice,snow and sleet. Other that that it all good. A crystal clear winter ride can be just as enjoyable as a summer ride, just look out for bambi.

Cheers
Ron
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:27:02 AM by sas mayhem »
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
All of the above. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
My C14 is pretty much the only ride in the MC parking area...  my Wing was too, when I was riding it this time of year... as long as there is no ice or snow on the roads or parking lot, I'm riding.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!