Author Topic: JIS screwdriver for 'flies removal  (Read 16933 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
JIS screwdriver for 'flies removal
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
There are eight screws used to hold the secondary 'flies in a C-14 and they can be pesky to remove. They are not overly tight but they do have a thread locking agent on them and if the screwdriver or driver bit is not shaped correctly it can be very difficult to remove those screws. Also, the incorrect screwdriver tends to mangle the screw heads making it difficult to remove them later even with the right screwdriver.

The correct tool is a JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) #2 and it is NOT a Philips #2. A Philips is absolutely the wrong tool. Philips drivers are actually made to cam out under heavy pressure while the JIS types do not do this. Philips drivers were designed to be used on automated assembly lines so that they would cam out and 'skip' if overdriven but that makes those fasteners very difficult to remove if they are tight.

A JIS driver works well in a Philips screw head (but not the other way around) so a lot of today’s drivers and bits are actually either made to the JIS standard or are very close. Unfortunately they are almost never marked 'JIS' or with any other name usually, just sold as #1, #2, etc. So if you look at bits, especially 1/4" hex drive bits, of a #2 cross- type design, a lot of them are actually suitable for use on the Japanese fasteners. The way to tell them apart is visually, a Philips head looks like this:

While a JIS looks like this:

It is easy to see why the Philips drivers cam out so easily (because of the large radii in the corners) and fit the JIS screws so badly.

The screws used on a C-14 to hold the brake and clutch reservoir covers on are also JIS #2. You can take out one of those screws and test- fit it to screwdrivers or hex bits before buying them; if the bit fits into the screwhead all the way to the bottom, and it does not wiggle around in there then it is a good enough fit to use on the secondary 'flies screws.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: JIS screwdriver for 'flies removal
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »
Good info!

:thumbs:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
Learn something new everyday around here . . .

Offline Viking

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
+1 on the JIS screwdrivers.
I work for a japanese machine tool company, and they're a must have item in my tool box.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/view-all-products.html

These are the ones myself and most of my co-workers use.
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:44:31 PM by Viking »

Offline Motornoggin

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
Good info. Too bad they are nearly impossible to find stocked anywhere. I used a Phillips that I dressed with a file. Worked well on seven of eight screws...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
They are stocked almost everywhere but they are not tagged with the title 'JIS'. They are sold as a generic "2" so you have to look down at the cross- section of the driver or bit to see if there is a significant radius there. If there is a radius, it is a Philips bit; no radius or a very small radius means it functions as a JIS bit even though it may not be labeled that way. JIS bits work well in Philips screw heads and so are sold commonly.

Go someplace that sells 1/4" hex drive bits, such as Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and usually in a package of several bits, and look at the bits carefully. As I mentioned in the first post, you can also take one screw out of the clutch reservoir and test the bit in that screw head to see if it fits properly and all the way to the bottom without rocking. Both screws ('flies screws and reservoir screws) are JIS #2 heads.

Brian

Good info. Too bad they are nearly impossible to find stocked anywhere. I used a Phillips that I dressed with a file. Worked well on seven of eight screws...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
I got 7 of 8 also with jis driver.

Offline Motornoggin

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
They are stocked almost everywhere but they are not tagged with the title 'JIS'. They are sold as a generic "2" so you have to look down at the cross- section of the driver or bit to see if there is a significant radius there. If there is a radius, it is a Philips bit; no radius or a very small radius means it functions as a JIS bit even though it may not be labeled that way. JIS bits work well in Philips screw heads and so are sold commonly.

Go someplace that sells 1/4" hex drive bits, such as Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and usually in a package of several bits, and look at the bits carefully. As I mentioned in the first post, you can also take one screw out of the clutch reservoir and test the bit in that screw head to see if it fits properly and all the way to the bottom without rocking. Both screws ('flies screws and reservoir screws) are JIS #2 heads.

Brian

I went to half a dozen places yesterday and they were all labeled as "Phillips". The bevels weren't all as pronounced, so I bought the one with the best tip and dressed it with a file to sharpen the flutes. I used heat as well, but got a bit off kilter on the last one and tore up the head. I had 20 minutes in the job to that point, the last screw took me anohter two hours to remove.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:55:17 PM »
I got 6 of them out with a #2 Phillips.  Got 2 of them out using a combination of a dremel tool, #1 phillips, square drive bits, vice grips, half a dozen flat screwdrivers, and a magnet to collect all the screw dust.  Don't need no special screwdriver.   ;)
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
Why don't you just get your ECU re-programmed so this sophisticated piece of hardware works as you require? www.DPTune.com

Not the best of articles but...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_length_intake_manifold
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:06 AM »
I don't understand how this can be called a variable length intake manifold when they have stacked two sets of butterflys in one tube. The second set, the one we remove, seems to choke a non variable length of tube at a different location at a different time than the main set. The intake tube length does not change only the amount and timing of airflow. This may be an over simplistic view but I'm a simple man not an engineer.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 04:21:05 AM »
I got 6 of them out with a #2 Phillips.  Got 2 of them out using a combination of a dremel tool, #1 phillips, square drive bits, vice grips, half a dozen flat screwdrivers, and a magnet to collect all the screw dust.  Don't need no special screwdriver.   ;)
Haha, 5 of 8 for me with this method.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:45 AM »
It is not a variable length system. It is a fixed length system with two separate throttle plates.

Trying to use one plate to effectively alter the length of the induction tube won't work because as soon as the air is on the near side (nearest to the engine), it will spill around the plate and assume the same velocity as it would have had there been no plates behind it in the first place. Air has inertia but not much and there won't be any tube lengthening effect at low engine speeds. At high engine speeds and under full throttle, there is virtually no difference between having the 'flies installed and wide open and having the 'flies removed.

Brian

I don't understand how this can be called a variable length intake manifold when they have stacked two sets of butterflys in one tube. The second set, the one we remove, seems to choke a non variable length of tube at a different location at a different time than the main set. The intake tube length does not change only the amount and timing of airflow. This may be an over simplistic view but I'm a simple man not an engineer.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »
i was real lucky. I ordered the JIS screwdriver and went at it this weekend. After I got the tank off took me about 5 mins to remove the screws. I was blown away at how easy it was. I didnt use any heat. It was a lot harder on my FZ1. Then I rode it and was completely blown away. I was shocked at how much more bottom end it had. Finally felt like a 1400cc bike. I was dissapointed when I got this bike compared to my FZ1 then I did this and feel completely in love with this bike.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »
i was real lucky. I ordered the JIS screwdriver and went at it this weekend. After I got the tank off took me about 5 mins to remove the screws. I was blown away at how easy it was. I didnt use any heat. It was a lot harder on my FZ1. Then I rode it and was completely blown away. I was shocked at how much more bottom end it had. Finally felt like a 1400cc bike. I was dissapointed when I got this bike compared to my FZ1 then I did this and feel completely in love with this bike.

My experience was just the opposite.  I got the flies out of my FZ1 in a couple minutes using a #1 Phillips and a little bit of heat.  That's why I didn't pay any attention to people making a big deal out of the C14 screws until I got the tank off and realized they're not as accessible and the screws are a little different.  Got them out though, and you're right, the bike feels a lot more like my FZ1 did.  I still miss that mind-altering top end on the FZ though.  And FedEx just dropped off my Power Commander about 30 minutes ago.  :)
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Arata

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
After ordering a couple of the JIS screwdrivers,  I started work with some trepidation.

I agonized over heating the screws or not, but decided to just try one cold, and see what happend.

I like to fly by the seat of my pants, to live dangerously, if you will.

Anyway, the first screw came out easily, so I kept going, working left to right.

Around screw five, there was some binding after several turns out, probably threadlocker, but the screw turned out with no problem.

The last screw, at the far right, I couldn't get a direct shot at the head, there was some angle.

This one turned out about half way, then bound up, and the head started to strip out.

I turned it back in, and out a few times.  I applied a little more force, and .......................

SUCCESS,   the screw came all of the way out!

It was a great day to be ME!

;D
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
What length JIS #2 screwdriver is needed or recommended to perform the fly-ectomy?
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »
about 10 inches

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
I bought a JIS screwdriver to remove mine; it was easy. I applied a bunch of downward pressure on the screw and gave it a quick twist to break the Loctite. The screws came right out afterwards, no heat or anything. It was harder removing the tank than removing the flies...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
Yep or even longer. I have a 12 incher (easy boys!) that works great in the application.

Brian

about 10 inches